Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty Lists

stiletto_33853

post-6633-0-39534000-1400182350_thumb.jp3rd Btn RDF Good job FMP!

I have had a look and give up - there are literally thousands of these pages in the newly release FMP records and they are easily found where a record generally doesn't have a name associated with it! Someone needs to come with a bright idea on how to deal with these to help all forum members? Their are transfer lists, leave lists, casualty lists etc etc

Mark

Yes Mark. Just spent a couple of hours looking at these lists and could be at it forever!

John

• 2 months later...

Hi, many many thanks to those who have put this info on here re casualties, it must have took a great deal of time & effort. I've looked thru every page but found no info on my grandfather, Thomas Lally.

According to my father, Thomas was wounded during the war as he was due to leave school in 1935, but his father had other ideas, if he left a year later, it would do him no harm, but it would increase his pension.

Now, I have photos of Thomas, the early one shows him in uniform as a private with a Connaught Rangers cap badge, a later photo shows him as a sergeant with the emblem of the Cyclists Corps, I have found his medal card & have 2 medals which list him as 286500 A/C Sjt T Lally Labour Corps.

Can anyone help with casualty details please ?

Many thanks, Matt.

FMP has two Thomas Lally with the Connaught Rangers:

Thomas Lally born 1869 No. 2760

Thomas Lally born 1875 No. 5/131

Mark

• 1 year later...

Inspired by SteveE who found these lists in WO 329/3035, and thinking that they offer a good chance of finding my RE gf, I search for these lists whenever I go to Kew. I found 14 more in WO 329/3034. I sent a pm to Diane and she is still working away on her spreadsheet. I have scanned and e mailed these 14 pages on to her. I will try and post them on to here in the near future.

Brian

Diane

Thank you very much for posting these for me, next time I go to Kew I will get WO 329/3034 again to read the top three names that are obscured on List H A 1116. They were visible.

Brian

Forgive me if these questions have been asked many times before but is there a searchable master-list on this thread? and is it duplicated by FMP not at all/a little/ a lot ?

I believe that Diane has taken it upon herself to index all the names that appear on these lists. I note post 452 that there are many of these lists on FMP but I have not seen them.

Brian

Hi a bit new to this ,i have gone through the lists twice looking for David Alexander 13856 KOSB ,we know he was wounded at Falfemont Farm 3rd Sept 1916 and again at the 3rd Battle of Ypres. if his records were destroyed in the fire would that explain why i cant find him on the lists.Thanks in advance.

Mary.

Mary

These lists turn up at random in service records and as re used papers in Medal Rolls. The ones on this thread can only be a small percentage of the total. He will be on a list somewhere but it hasn't been found yet. The Service Medal and Award Rolls show that David served in 2 KOSB and the Machine Gun Corps. He is mentioned on the KOSB Association site www.kosb.co.uk as being wounded at Falfemont Farm serving with 2 KOSB.

Brian

Thanks Brian, we knew from Glasgow and Edinburgh newspapers that after he was wounded for a second time he was evacuated back to the Uk . We were just trying to see if we couild find out which hospital he was taken to. He then moved into the MGC on his recovery which his Grandson knew nothing about,his Grandson was under the impression he had also served in India as he had a Pith Helmet in his house for years but that could have been given to him by anyone , but we cant find where he went with the MGC once the MGC were disbanded it is possible he might have just left the army.

Mary.

• 4 weeks later...

The missing names on the penultimate list in post 459 are:

24664 Dvr Smith L RFA HQ

40635 Gnr Jennings J M RFA 41 DAC

343 Gnr Macdonald W RFA 24 Brigade

The illnesses obscured at the bottom of the page are:

Gnr Rimmer T Sprain L Foot Admitted St John Amb Brg Etaples 19/07/1916

Gnr Holden J Myalgia do

Dve Shackleton W Shock Shell Transfer to Eng ex St John Amb Brg 19/07/1916

Brian

• 3 months later...

Rifleman Robert Reid 3333 post office rifles died 7.11.16 or on other documents 11.11.16 buried in Sutton Veny Dorset. Can anyone tell me how my great uncle died please? Other forums have established he is sharing a grave, that he died in hospital but he may not have served abroad but possibly died of illness. Any info would be gratefully received thank you

Rifleman Robert Reid 3333 post office rifles died 7.11.16 or on other documents 11.11.16 buried in Sutton Veny Dorset. Can anyone tell me how my great uncle died please? Other forums have established he is sharing a grave, that he died in hospital but he may not have served abroad but possibly died of illness. Any info would be gratefully received thank you

He had less than 12 months qualifying service at time of death on 7 November 1916 (the date the army accepted as his death). His death cert would tell you what he died of.

post-51028-0-24603400-1457043122_thumb.j

I can't see anything obvious to suggest he served overseas.

Craig

Thank you this may seem a daft question but would I apply in Derry for his cert in his home town or in Dorset where he died.

Not a daft question, but the answer is Dorset. Deaths were registered in the area where they occurred.

Ron

There's all sorts included in FMP service papers, just seen a court of enquiry.

Those in WO 329/3035, 3034 and probably others are viewable via ancestry's SWB rolls, free in most libraries. There are also sheets with soldiers' home addresses.

Anyway, the reason I keep checking this thread is in the hope of finding men transferred to Seale Hayne and I see in post#457 there are UK hospitals mention.

It would be a first to see a man going direct to Seale Hayne but one never knows.

Should anyone spot such an entry please let me know.

Thanks

TEW

Not a daft question, but the answer is Dorset. Deaths were registered in the area where they occurred.

Ron

Probably not Dorset as Warminster (and Sutton Veny) is in Wiltshire and that is where the death was registered.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Hello can you tell me if any of the following were wounded please

Robert Reid 8th Btn Post Office Rifles died in Sutton Veny, trying to find out what happened to my great uncle

Thomas Lloyd Royal Engineers 121966 survived but may have been admitted to hospital great grandfather

Pte Alfred Fairbrother Royal Warwickshire Regt no known Grave remembered on Arras memorial, did he ever get to a hospital and was subsequently lost, grave blown up or something we no nothing really - great uncle

MultiQuote

Delete

Edit