Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For soldiers killed in action

Ryegate

Hi Colin,

if you are not aware, the certificate may show very little - especially if the soldier went missing and was then certified as killed. It is the luck of the draw as to how much information there will be.

Doug

Thanks Doug I have discovered how where and when they were killed I just thought I would get the Certs for my F Hist collection Glad to hear from you again as at present I am stuck on the phone trying to ask why at the GRO web site on line ordering when you go to "checkout" the details you have posted earlier ie index No's do not apper on the confirmation at checkout. I have ordered lots of home certs and the details appear at checkout for you to confirm. This is my first attempt at "overseas". I am now on to the 45th minute of the call thank goodness I have thier STD No as on 0870 it costs a packet

Will do, if I ever get through its now up to 50 mins. Unfortunately as more people are trying to get certs nowadays the GRO does not seem to have kept up with the demand. OK if your online order has no probs but if you need to check on a refused cert or whatever its a long job on the telephone and pricey if you dont use voip or a low cost provider. Colin

Doug you asked me if I got through to GRO the result. I order lots of Certs on line. When you proceed to "checkout" you are asked to check that the GRO entry Nos are correct as once past this point you will be charged. On "overseas" orders ie soldiers KIA for example the same system is used but I am told it is not set up for overseas orders because the headings differ and dont suit the terminology of the oversears certs . This means that the columns detailing the numbers you have input are blank in the basket and checkout pages. You have there fore got to take a chance , "go blind" and enter your card details. I spoke to GRO and asked about this and they said there is no way of finally checking. You can go back to the previous page and check again and hope tht it is correct or alter it there and trust it transfers to checkout in the same format. When you enter your Vol Page etc details there is not the reguar box to use ie there is no system for the overseas numbers which differ from the home numbers for which the form was designed. You have to enter the numbers in one long line in the lower box. It is absolutely impossible to get through to the Overseas Dept so I had to rely on the regular team.

What is more galling is that if you are phoning on 0870 you pay 7p per min. Today my call would have cost me £3/50. Even worse is that I am led to believe that GRO collect a "kick Back" on the call and the time they take to answer must be netting GRO a few grand. Colin

Hi Doug

Thanks for your efforts

Not very familiar with this thread perhaps you can tell me how to obtain a copy

of the death certificate.

Cheers Doug.

Hi,

Couldyou please check:

2317 Pte John James Diver Royal Irish Regiment KIA 21/08/1916

Thanks

SDGW

Name: John James Diver

Number: 2317

Regiment etc: Royal Irish Battalion

Battalion etc: 6th Battalion

Born: Templemore, Co Derry

Enlisted: Londonderry

Died Date: 21 Aug 1916

Died How: Killed in action

Theatre: France & Flanders

Death Certificate

Name Diver John J, Rank Pte, Number 2317, Regiment Irish, Year 1916 Volume I.77 Page 23

Doug

Doug you asked me if I got through to GRO the result. I order lots of Certs on line. When you proceed to "checkout" you are asked to check that the GRO entry Nos are correct as once past this point you will be charged. On "overseas" orders ie soldiers KIA for example the same system is used but I am told it is not set up for overseas orders because the headings differ and dont suit the terminology of the oversears certs . This means that the columns detailing the numbers you have input are blank in the basket and checkout pages. You have there fore got to take a chance , "go blind" and enter your card details. I spoke to GRO and asked about this and they said there is no way of finally checking. You can go back to the previous page and check again and hope tht it is correct or alter it there and trust it transfers to checkout in the same format. When you enter your Vol Page etc details there is not the reguar box to use ie there is no system for the overseas numbers which differ from the home numbers for which the form was designed. You have to enter the numbers in one long line in the lower box. (Snipped). Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information. Not very satisfactory at all really. Given the revenue they are raking in you would think they could hire a programmer for a few weeks.

Doug

Hi Doug

Thanks for your efforts

Not very familiar with this thread perhaps you can tell me how to obtain a copy

of the death certificate.

Cheers Doug.

Hi Doug,

Go here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Select 'Order overseas certificates'

Take note of Colin's last post for tips

Doug

Hello!

My great uncle was KIA in January 1915.He was William George Dumbrell b1895,and in the Royal Sussex.It's little,but all I currently have.I'd be grateful if you can help.

SDGW has this:

Name: George William Dumbrell

Number: S/2232

Regt etc: Royal Sussex Regiment

Battalion etc: 2nd Battalion

Born: Hove

Enlisted: Brighton

Died Date: 16 Feb 1915

Theatre of war: British Expeditionary Force

CWGC has:

Name: DUMBRELL, GEORGE WILLIAM

Initials: G W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 16/02/1915

Service No: S/2233

Additional information: Son of Alfred Ellis Dumbrell and Jane Dumbrell, of 97, Shirley St., Hove, Brighton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 20 and 21.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Death certificate details are:

Dumbrell George W. Rank Pte, Number SR/2233 Regiment Sussex, Year 1915 Volume I.73 Page 70

Doug

SDGW has this:

Name: George William Dumbrell

Number: S/2232

Regt etc: Royal Sussex Regiment

Battalion etc: 2nd Battalion

Born: Hove

Enlisted: Brighton

Died Date: 16 Feb 1915

Theatre of war: British Expeditionary Force

CWGC has:

Name: DUMBRELL, GEORGE WILLIAM

Initials: G W

Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment

Date of Death: 16/02/1915

Service No: S/2233

Additional information: Son of Alfred Ellis Dumbrell and Jane Dumbrell, of 97, Shirley St., Hove, Brighton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 20 and 21.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Death certificate details are:

Dumbrell George W. Rank Pte, Number SR/2233 Regiment Sussex, Year 1915 Volume I.73 Page 70

Doug

Brilliant,and faster than Concorde! Thanks very much!

Hi Doug

Thanks again for all your help

Regards Doug.

Hi, Is your offer of last August still open? if so, do you have any record information on a L/Cpl Jack D'Hooghe. KIA at Ovillers 3/7/1916 with the 7th Suffolks

Thanks

Jonathan D'Hooghe

SDGW

Name: Jack D'Hooghe

Number: 19053

Regt etc: Suffolk Regiment

Batt etc: 7th Battalion

Born: Nottingham

Enlisted: Nottingham

Died Date: 03 July 1916

Notes: Formerly 12485, Hussars of the line

Death Certificate

D'Hooghe Jack, Rank L/Cpl Number 19053, Regiment Suff, Year 1916, Volume I. 63, Page 97

Doug

Hi

Does your offer still stand if so could you look up my gt uncle :

Private Henry Francis Thundercliffe

203120 1st/5th Bn West Yorkshire Regt

KIA age 24 Tues 9 October 1917

son of Mrs Annie Thundercliffe Hull East Yorkshire

Many Thanks

Mick

SDGW has:

Name: Henry Francis Thundercliffe

Number: 203120

Regt etc: Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)

Batt etc: 1/5th Battalion

Born: Hull, Yorks

Enlisted: Hull

Died Date: 09 Oct 1917

Death Certificate

Thundercliffe Henry F, Rank Pte, Number 203120, Regiment W.Y.R., Year 1917, Volume I.38, Page 96

Doug

Thanks very much Doug your a true gent

Many Thanks

Mick

Thank you Procat for your help. As a novice to a lot of this, how do I get a copy of the death certificate?

Once again, many thanks

Jonathan D'Hooghe

• 2 weeks later...

If the offer is still open?

Name: SMITH, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: S/7203