Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For soldiers killed in action

Ryegate

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

hi, ryegate

do you mind if you could check out these 2 for me?

frank altoft,died, 28 / 12 / 1915.

buried,malta.

border reg, 20218.

william haylor, private, m2/ 031897

army service corps.

thank you very much.

rob

Hi Linden

Of course!

Details are:

Name: Sharp, Bernard

Regiment: King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Battalion: Labour Companies

Birthplace: Bloxwich, Staffs

Enlisted: Manchester

Residence: Moss Side, Manchester

Number: 63100

Date died: 14 March 1917

How died: Died

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Death cert ref: 1917 I.20 461

In remembrance

Thank you so much , Ryegate .

Have you seen many certificates with "How Died : Died " ?

We've felt for a while that there was something strange about Bernard's death . Does this entry suggest anything dire and dastardly ?

Regards,

Linden

Does this entry suggest anything dire and dastardly ?

No. It would normally suggest a death from natural causes.

The cemetery where he is buried was one used by field hospitals. So, it would perhaps be more likely to think that he was taken ill and just died rather than anything untoward.

"Died" would also include a range of other causes - accident, drowning, murder, suicide - almost anything that was not combat related. But for men in the Labour battalions simpy, keeling over was a very common cause of death - they were often those battalions because they were not fit enough for combat.

John

Have you seen many certificates with "How Died : Died " ?

We've felt for a while that there was something strange about Bernard's death . Does this entry suggest anything dire and dastardly ?

Regards,

Linden

Hi Linden

The same appeared on the record that Ryegate kindly looked up for me concerning my Gt Aunt's first husband Absolom Snowley. He was in the Police Force and it has been confirmed by his service records that Norfolk Police sent me that he was killed in action.

His police service record quotes ' Killed in Active Service. Death presumed by Army Council to have taken place on 14.9.1914 or since'

They have also kindly provided me with a photograph of the 1914-1919 War memorial in the Norfolk Police headquarters which lists him.

Diane

Diane

You put your finger on one of the major research problems - that being that no set of records is entirely accurate and can be relied on (certainly neither SDGW or CWGC). You have to test the information against other sources. Certainly if I had seen "died" against Absolom Snowley, it would have flashed all sorts of warning lights - here was a regular soldier (or reservist) who died on the first day of a major battle in which his unit was involved and has no known grave. Doesnt seem at likely that he would have died of natural causes.

John

One of the men on our War Memorial died in hospital in the UK. SDGW and his MIC state “died”, while the local newspaper reports him of having “died of his wounds”. (The press wouldn’t necessarily understand the military use of these terms, of course.)

My research suggests that he may have died of complications from trench foot, and having seen some graphic photos of severe trench foot, I can understand why this may have been interpreted as “wounds”. But it wouldn't meet the Army's definition of DOW.

Rob

I am a bit confused about the name of William Haylor as I had already looked this up for you under a different regiment number.

However, I have had another look. There is only one William (the one I gave you), so I searched just on the surname as it is unusual and a few came up, none of which has the regiment number you gave and none from the army service corps.

I have Frank Altoft for you. Details are:

Name: Altoft, Frank

Regiment: Border Regiment

Battalion: 6th Battalion

Birthplace: Moston, Lancs

Residence: Miles Platting, Manchester

Number: 20218

Date died: 28 December 1915

How died: Died of Wounds

Theatre of War: Malta

Death cert ref: 1915 I.10 200

In remembrance

Can you confirm it is William Haylor you meant to put please?

Thanks

Rob

I am a bit confused about the name of William Haylor as I had already looked this up for you under a different regiment number.

However, I have had another look. There is only one William (the one I gave you), so I searched just on the surname as it is unusual and a few came up, none of which has the regiment number you gave and none from the army service corps.

I have Frank Altoft for you. Details are:

Name: Altoft, Frank

Regiment: Border Regiment

Battalion: 6th Battalion

Birthplace: Moston, Lancs

Residence: Miles Platting, Manchester

Number: 20218

Date died: 28 December 1915

How died: Died of Wounds

Theatre of War: Malta

Death cert ref: 1915 I.10 200

In remembrance

Can you confirm it is William Haylor you meant to put please?

Thanks

good morning,ryegate.

thanks for the info on frank altfoft.

im sorry i gave you the wrong name;

should have been,

wc haylor

died;25/12/1915

thanks,rob

Good Morning Ryegate (at least it's morning now in the US). I wonder if I could impose upon you to look up my Great-Uncle to see if there is a Death Certificate Reference for him. Here are the details:

Name: Craig, James

Initial: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 23/10/1914

Service No: 9433

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 19 and 33

Memorial: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Thanks so much,

Bruce

I received Stanley West's death certificate. He died of tuberculosis, and he was in a sanatorium, which explains why he wasn't in London. He apparently was invalided from the 2nd West Surreys in June 1915, which meant a very short war.

hello ryegate

would you mind looking for a death cert reference for the following

howell whytehead Williams

died 17 july 1917

basra war cemetery

thanks

kas

Hello Kas

Details are:

Name: Williams, Howell Whytehead

Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

Battalion: 1/10th (T.F.) Battalion

Birthplace: Birkenhead, Lancs

Enlisted: Stamford Brook, Middlesex

Residence: Chiswick, Middlesex

Number: T.F.290467

Date Died: 17 July 1917

How died: Died

Theatre of War: Mesopotamia

Death cert ref: 1917 I.70 372

Regards

At least you now know what he died of although not very pleasant.

Remains the mystery of why Elsie would marry someone who was already ill. Also, interestingly enough, he is shown as a "tutor". Elsie was born in 1896 - Stanley was about eight years older. I can't see it as being an acceptable match from the family's point of view.

Hi

Any chance of a look up for

7972 Pte Herbert Wiltshire

Born 1888, Bulkington, nr Devises

Died 8th July 1916 serving with 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regt

Buried Bernafay Wood cemetary

Many Thanks

I have just noticed your message and would be grateful if you could look for this death reference :

ALINGTON, Gervase Winford Stovin, Corporal, 766852, died 9/11/1918 aged 26

Many thanks

AMB

Sorry - it occurred to me that I'd also be interested to find the death cert of :

BOVINGDON, Pte Thomas Pincome 766504. The Artists Rifles Roll of Honour mentions him twice with dates of death of both 9th and 11th Nov. 1918, but I haven't found him on CWGC or SDGW or British War Memorial Project. Since asking about him on this site recently I realise he's not who I'm looking for, but I'd like to check him out and if necessary try and have his details added to these other sites. Thanks - I hope it's not too much trouble to ask for him too.

AMB

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

Would you please look to see if there is any further informaton on my great uncle, Private Arthur Gathercole.

34083, 6th Labour Coy. Lincolnshire Regt;Transfer. to [26580] 45th Coy; Lincolnshire Regiment Labout Corps Died on Tuesday 21st of August 1917.

This information was taken from the WGC site but I wondered if there woud be any further information anywhere about him. He is buried at Brandhoek New Military cemetery No 3

Thanks, Carol

Regards

Hi Ian,

Looking for reference so can order certificate for :-

Edward Reigate of the Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment) 1st Battalion, died aged 19 on 24/08/1916 Service no G/6294

Next of kin

Mr & Mrs William Reigate

Casualty type : Commmonwealth war dead

At Thiepval Memorial

Thankyou would appreciate you can find for me.

Privatemouse

Can you please tell me what is the 'death certificate reference ' that you refer to, that can be found on Find My past? Is it the same reference that can be found on fiche in my local archives under War Dead? Would there be a certificate for someone whose body was never found but is on the Thiepval memorial?

Carol Cooper

Regards

Hi.

Do you have anything on Lance Corporal Jeffrey Richard Shakespeare, R239 Kings Royal Rifle Corps please?

shaky