Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For soldiers killed in action

Ryegate

Hello is it possible for you to check on my Uncle.

Rfn/Pte George Bennett 39906 East Surrey Regiment,Posted to 1st Surrey Rifles.(21st London Regiment) K.I.A.24th August 1918.Buried in Bray Hill Cemetary, Bray-sur-Somme France.Thanking you in anticipation.Ray (RJH)

Hello

I have an Albert H Mycock 24064, died at home 1/8/1918. I cannot find him on CWGC so thought it best to see if there is a death ref for him before proceeding further.

Thanks

Stevem

Hi Stevem

Strangely there is no record at all on Find my Past but probably because he did not die in action. However, I did wonder if he would have a 'pension' record as he died at home and I have 1 Albert Henry Mycock of York Street, Newcastle. Do you want it?

If you can let me know fairly soon, I will download it now I have the record open (6 pages I think)

Regards

Tom McCluskey of this site has very kindly just sent me the War Diary of my grandfather's unit. It records his death from a direct hit by enemy shelling. I would dearly like to see the death cert as the diary says the direct hit killed three men and wounded one...

2915 Driver Peter McGuiggan

Royal Field Artillery (C Bty. 78 Bde)

K.I.A 19th April 1917

is that enough?

Can you please tell me what is the 'death certificate reference ' that you refer to, that can be found on Find My past? Is it the same reference that can be found on fiche in my local archives under War Dead? Would there be a certificate for someone whose body was never found but is on the Thiepval memorial?

Carol Cooper

To answer your last question Carol - yes there should be a certificate for someone whose body was never found. I have the certificate for Herbert Fisher who died in May 1915. His body was never found but his name is on the Helles Memorial.

Owlpen

Hi Stevem

Strangely there is no record at all on Find my Past but probably because he did not die in action. However, I did wonder if he would have a 'pension' record as he died at home and I have 1 Albert Henry Mycock of York Street, Newcastle. Do you want it?

If you can let me know fairly soon, I will download it now I have the record open (6 pages I think)

Regards

Yes please my friend. I can then start on getting him on the CWGC list.

very kind of you. Once again thanks.

Steve

Hello z4

I have checked the records on Find my Past but nothing exists for William Edward Beard. Checked all of them just in case the christian name was incorrectly stated but no Beards with the regiment No. you gave.

I have also gone through all the Beards on the Ancestry pension records but none with the reg. No.

I will take a look in Officers KIA and let you know if I find anything there.

Regards

Hello z4

I have checked the records on Find my Past but nothing exists for William Edward Beard. Checked all of them just in case the christian name was incorrectly stated but no Beards with the regiment No. you gave.

I have also gone through all the Beards on the Ancestry pension records but none with the reg. No.

I will take a look in Officers KIA and let you know if I find anything there.

Regards

Thanks for looking, the info I posted is correct here is the link for CWGC.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=351731

Z4

Hello z4

I have now checked all possibilities but have found nothing that would be related to the William Edward Beard.

I have found an William E Beard on GRO records, aged 24. Death registered 1st Quarter 1919, in Bakewell. Ref: 7b 1296.

As Bakewell is in Derbyshire, is this a possibility? Especially, as he was only 24?

Regards

Ryegate. Can you do me a big favour please? I have a soldier ARTHUR JAMES MILLIGAN listed as killed 26 6 1918 and a forum member who is tracing where he was killed informs me that Arthur is buried next to 275981 GEORGE HAMILTON whom the CWGC has died 26-6-1916 and a book he has states 26-6-1915 SDGW has them both killed 1918. Would you check Pte Hamiltons death date for me? Thank you Ralph.

Rjaydee

Details below:

Name: HAMILTON, George

Regiment, Corps etc.: Manchester Regiment

Battalion etc.: 1/7th Battalion.

Last name: Hamilton

First name(s): George

Initials: G

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Manchester

Residence:

Number: 275981

Date died: 26 June 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes:

Regards

Hello z4

I have now checked all possibilities but have found nothing that would be related to the William Edward Beard.

I have found an William E Beard on GRO records, aged 24. Death registered 1st Quarter 1919, in Bakewell. Ref: 7b 1296.

As Bakewell is in Derbyshire, is this a possibility? Especially, as he was only 24?

Regards

That will be him Bakewell is only about 8 miles from Matlock. I am going to send for his death certificate it asks the below questions do you know if this is filled in right

District name* bakewell

Volume Number* 7b

Page Number* 1296

Thanks for finding the info z4.

No Rjaydee, I just happen to have a subscription to Find my Past and Ancestry! but thank you anyway.

Regards

Yes, that's perfect!

Regards

That will be him Bakewell is only about 8 miles from Matlock. I am going to send for his death certificate it asks the below questions do you know if this is filled in right

District name* bakewell

Volume Number* 7b

Page Number* 1296

Hello Steve

Would you mind giving me your e-mail address. I am not clever enought to reduce the file size to add as an attachment on the Forum.

thanks

I will Pm it to you.

Steve

Hi z4

I seem to have added my response to you on another response to Rjaydee!

Sorry about that.

Below is perfect although somewhere it should ask which quarter the event took place.

Sorry for the delay but my initial response is there somewhere!

Regards

District name* bakewell

Volume Number* 7b

Page Number* 1296

Hi z4

I seem to have added my response to you on another response to Rjaydee!

Sorry about that.

Below is perfect although somewhere it should ask which quarter the event took place.

Sorry for the delay but my initial response is there somewhere!

Regards

Thanks for that, your help is appreciated.

z4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ryegate,

Can you please search for David Raw 5203,2nd/8thBn.,Manchester Regiment

Transferred to(21937),738th Area Employment Coy., Labour Corp

who died on 25/04/1918

He is buried at AERODROME MILITARY CEMETERY near YPRES

Best Regards Janet

Hi Janet

Details are:

Name: RAW, David

Regiment, Corps etc.: Labour Corps

Battalion etc.:

Last name: Raw

First name(s): David

Initials: D

Birthplace: Manchester, Lancs

Enlisted: Manchester

Residence:

Number: 219737

Date died: 25 April 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 5203, MANCHESTER REGT.

Have problems reading the death cert ref. so am reluctant to give this to you but it is 1918 M.3 and I think 586 but could be 585 so I wouldn't rely too much on this. You can however, still get the certificate if you wish but without the ref. it will cost you £11. Sorry about that.

Regards

Thank's very much for that, I will send for it now

Do i send in the same way as any other Death Certificate

Thanks again Jan