Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For soldiers killed in action

Ryegate

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Would i kindly ask if you could obtain one for my grt,grt grandfather Francis Herbert Sanders (F.HSanders)

Battalion: 6th city of london battalion rifles

Birthplace:Lambeth

Enlisted:london

Number:3776

Date died: 8th october 1916

died: killed in action

cemetary: Theipval Memorial

any information would be gratefully recieved

thankyou

Regards

Yes, Jan exactly the same. Sorry I could not be more precise with the reference but better to pay £11 than £7 and get the wrong one first time around.

Regards

Thank's very much for that, I will send for it now

Do i send in the same way as any other Death Certificate

Thanks again Jan

Hi James17

Online at GRO (General Records Office). There is an online ordering facility on the website. You need to register before you can order anything as it saves your details for next time!

thinking about it you may be able to order as a guest if you think you will only need to order this once. If not, it does save a lot of time for future orders if you register.

The form that comes up is fairly self explanatory.

year the event took place ----1916

Where it asks if the GRO ref number is known just tick the box and you then can go down to the bottom and fill in the information I gave you. You will put I.84 in the first box and 37 (folio or page number) in the 2nd.

then go to payments and it should have the certificate listed with a balance of £7 to pay.

You should receive it within a week if they are not inundated.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Am I too late for this post

I have 2 if that is ok

Private ARTHUR HEAD - 17920, 1st Bn., Lincolnshire Regiment who died age 28 on 16 April 1918

Private ERNEST CARR - DM2/102457, M.T. 307th Coy., Army Service Corps who died age 26 on 24 July 1915 - I think he was killed here in training however I know very little about him.

Thank you so much for this

Scoobydoo

Never too late!

Name: HEAD, Arthur

Regiment, Corps etc.: Lincolnshire Regiment

Battalion etc.: 1st Battalion.

Last name: Head

First name(s): Arthur

Initials: A

Birthplace: Bourne, Lincs

Enlisted: Bourne

Residence: Manthorpe, Lincs.

Number: 17920

Date died: 16 April 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes:

Death certificate reference: 1918 I.46 281

Name: CARR, Ernest

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Army Service Corps

Battalion etc.:

Last name: Carr

First name(s): Ernest

Initials: E

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Liverpool

Residence: Market Deeping, Lincs

Number: M2/102457

Date died: 24 July 1915

How died: Died

Theatre of war: Home

Supplementary Notes:

No death certificate reference listed on 'Soldiers died in WW1'

If you would like me to look in the BDMs for this, let me know

Regards

Ryegate

Hello,

Is it possible that, through your Find my Past system, you can access a death entry for this man? -

ALFRED PYNE, a seaman born c1872, and who was employed as Chief Steward on the Belgian Hospital Ship Stad Antwerpen, certainly during 1915-16. It is just possible he may have died during the 'flu epidemic of 1918-19. He was deceased by about 1921 when his name was included in a publication listing the war dead of Holyhead (he is not on the town War Memorial, but is on another roll of honour in a local chapel, with the same vessel named).

I was thinking of the GRO Consular death indices (i.e., British subjects died abroad), or even the "Maritime Deaths" index rather than the WW1 soldiers or the ordinary civilian indices.

Thanks,

LST_164

Hello Ryegate.

I want to thank you .

You gave me the reference for Bernard Patrick Sharp.

I've received his death certificate and at last we know that he died of meningitis about two weeks after arriving in France .

Several of the men buried alongside him also died from the same disease , including a medical orderly .

Thank you.

Linden

LST 164

I have searched the Naval and Seaman records for which there are several pages but unfortunately, I have not found Alfred Pyne (only reference to an Albert).

I have looked at Rolls of Honour and in the regular GRO death records from 1918 - end 1921 and cannot find him there either.

I will have a look on Ancestry to see if they have any databases that may include seamans records to see if that brings anything to light but other than that, I cannot think of any way we can find these details.

I will keep you posted re Ancestry.

Regards

Ryegate

I have been meaning to say that anyone seeking a death certificate reference for a soldier killed in action, I would be pleased to look for it on Find my Past.

Regards

If you can look for Harry William Collins 2329 or 115839 died 18/10/1918

ty Iris

Thanks for looking, Ryegate - will be pleased to learn if anything turns up elsewhere.

LST_164

LST-164

Have checked all relevant data bases on Ancestry but unfortunately could not find anything relating to your Alfred Pyne.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Regards

Ryegate

Iriscable

Here are his details:

Name: COLLINS, Harry

Regiment, Corps etc.: Machine Gun Corps

Battalion etc.: (Infantry).

Last name: Collins

First name(s): Harry

Initials: H

Birthplace: Chiswick, Middx.

Enlisted: Chiswick

Residence:

Number: 115839

Date died: 18 October 1918

How died: Killed in action

Supplementary Notes:

Hi Ryegate

Thankyou for your reply,the information is just what i needed and I appreciate you taking the time finding it for me.

Thanks again

Iris

LST-164

Have checked all relevant data bases on Ancestry but unfortunately could not find anything relating to your Alfred Pyne.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Regards

Ryegate

That's OK - thanks very much for trying.

LST_164

Regards

Hi

looking for death certificate reference for Ernest Luff Gunner 166406 died 06 November 1917 killed in action regards thank you

Hi

looking for death certificate reference for Ernest Luff Gunner 166406 died 06 November 1917 killed in action regards thank you

Sorry Cashdogie, missed this one on the Forum. PM sent with details.

Kind regards

Ryegate

Hi Ryegate,

I would very much appreciate it if you could find any info or death certificate for my Great grandad.

Pte George Lilley 200762

2/4th Lincolnshire Regiment

Born 1894

Died 1-10-1917,aged 23.

Buried Lijssenhoek,Belgium.

Information regarding where he served,died,how etc would be in-valuable.

Many thanks for any possible help.

Kind regards Trev.

Trevster

Details are:

Name: LILLEY, George

Battalion etc.: 4th Battalion.

Last name: Lilley

First name(s): George

Initials: G

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Lincoln

Residence: St. Albans, Herts

Number: 200762

Date died: 01 October 1917

How died: Died of wounds

Supplementary Notes:

Death cert reference: 1917 I.46 316

With regards to the other information you would like and like many other Forum users, I am still learning lots about WW1 from expert Forum members, simply by reading a lot of their responses to members questions. As yet, I do not feel qualified enough to give you further information so may I suggest that you post a message in 'soldiers' requesting information on the battle he would have been involved in at the time of his death. You may even be lucky enough to have a member post a war diary that will give you all the details. It's worth asking anyway. And the experts here are very generous with their knowledge.

Good luck

Regards

Ryegate

Regards

Yes please, if the offer is still open that is.

Victor Elton Scott 1/4 Northumberland Fusiliers 785 KIA 26/4/1915 2nd Ypres

Cheers

John

Trevster

Details are:

Name: LILLEY, George

Battalion etc.: 4th Battalion.

Last name: Lilley

First name(s): George

Initials: G

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Lincoln

Residence: St. Albans, Herts

Number: 200762

Date died: 01 October 1917

How died: Died of wounds

Supplementary Notes:

Death cert reference: 1917 I.46 316

With regards to the other information you would like and like many other Forum users, I am still learning lots about WW1 from expert Forum members, simply by reading a lot of their responses to members questions. As yet, I do not feel qualified enough to give you further information so may I suggest that you post a message in 'soldiers' requesting information on the battle he would have been involved in at the time of his death. You may even be lucky enough to have a member post a war diary that will give you all the details. It's worth asking anyway. And the experts here are very generous with their knowledge.

Good luck

Regards

Ryegate

Thank-you Ryegate very much for your help

Kind regards Trev.

Hi,

If possible could you search for a John Thomas Cunningham. When he marrried in 1914 he was listed as 3rd Battalion Northumberland Fusilers, however he was killed in action some time before 1917. I have no other details.

Thank you

Chris