Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

Andrew, cheers from the East Coast.

My grandfather Charles Curnow, 11th Reinforcements 14th battalion (3283), was evacuated with shell-shock on 13/08/1916.

Can you shed some light on the action at the time and any mention of casualties? Rules book seems a bit vague about this time.

Thanks

Colin.

Hi Colin

On the 14th of August the 4th & 13th Brigades launched an attack between Pozieres & Mouquet Farm. Heavy German shellfire did precede the attack but I'll have a look in the battalion history when I get home to see if it mentions anything particular for the 13th of August.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Colin

The 14th Battalion history by Newton Wanliss mentions that they were relieved from the front line at Pozieres on the morning of the 13th of August but that they were under very heavy shellfire on the 12th & 13th.

Your grandad most likely got his shell shock under one of these heavy German barrages.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks mate, really appreciate your help.

Newton Wanliss's book is the definitive work on the 14th batt, but scarce as hen's teeth.

Do you ever hear of any copies becoming available ?

If you do, for gawds sake please let me know.

Cheers

Colin

Yep, there aren't many around to be seen for sale now. I purchased mine about ten years ago though it's not an original but a burridge reprint.

It might be a matter of e-mailing some of the military booksellers to let them know you are looking for one.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Unit Look up request

I have the service record for 2250 Private William Keable

He was wounded on July 21, 1916 with the 3/AIF

Would greatly appreciate the events surrounding him

Thanks very much

Curtis

Hi Curtis

Sorry mate, just seen your request.

The 3rd Battalion was at Pozieres on July 21st but I'll check the history for details and get back to you.

Regards

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

I have recently discovered I had a family member in the A.I.F. Tunnelling Companies.

He was Daniel Frederick Corkery a miner from the west coast of Tasmania.

He enlisted February 13. 1916 as a Sapper, he was originally in the No.5 Tunnelling Co., but was

transfered to No. 4 Tunnelling Co. and again to No.3 Tunnelling Company.

He embarked from Melbourne May 25. 1916 aboard HMAT A69 Warilda.

He was killed in action on November 2. 1918 and is the only Commonwealth soldier buried at the

St. Maur Churchyard in Tournai, Belgium.

Daniel had a brother William Thomas Corkery

William Corkery, enlisted on December 2. 1914 as a Driver fo the 3rd. Artillery Brigade

(3rd. Reserves for the 1st Artillery Division)

William was also killed in action on September 18.1918 somewhere in France.

If you could provide any information on the Tunnelling Companies and the 3rd. Artillery Brigade

or either men, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Glenn Scurr.

Hi Andrew,

I am researching the lives of the men behind the names on the Roll of Honour for Barry, South Wales, UK. The following men with Barry connections are listed:

Lt. B. G. Adams 9th Bn. 25/2/17 Villers-Bretonneux Mem.

Pte. P. N. Edwards 48th Bn. 11/8/16 Puchevillers Cem. 1714

Pte. T.W. Healey 34th Bn. 12/10/17 Menin Gate Mem. 18352

Pte. F.W. May D Coy 20th Bn. 20/9/17 Birr Crossroads Cem. 1265

Any information you were able to supply on how they met their deaths would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Glenn

I've got a bit on the 3rd TC at home so I'll have a dig through to see if your reli is mentioned. Do you have a photo of him at all? There is a historian in Victoria who is currently writing the history of the Australian tunnelling companies so if you have any info or photos of Daniel Corkery I'm sure he would be interested.

Daniel must have been one of the last Australians to be killed in action in WW1.

The 3rd Tunnelling Company was mainly a West Australian & Tasmanian unit, whereas the 1st & 2nd Tunnelling Companies seemed to be a mix from all states. The 4th, 5th & 6th were raised for service on the Western Front but were dismantled when they got to England and were used to reinforce 1, 2 & 3 TC's.

Don't have much on the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade. Do you know which battery William served in?

Regards

Andrew

Hi Jonathan

It's a small world. Thomas William Healey is one of the Fremantle men I'm researching. When he left Wales he settled in Fremantle, Western Australia.

He originally was in the 2nd reinforcements to the 44th Battalion but when they were training in England around 50 - 60 of the reinforcement group were sent to the 33rd & 34th Battalion's in late 1916.

Healey was killed in the attempt to reach Passchendaele in the atrocious conditions on Oct 12th 1917. All the officers of his battalion were either killed or wounded in this battle.

C.E.W Bean has a good account of the attack in the official histories which are online at the Australian War Memorial

http://www.awm.gov.au

The 34th only has a slim volume of their accounts which I do not have.

Have you checked for the other men in the databases at the Australian War Memorial. Hopefully there would be some Red Cross statements available for them.

Or you can get their personal records at the National Archives

http://www.naa.gov.au

I'd say Adams would have been killed in front of Flers in the advance towards Bapaume;

Edwards was fatally wounded during the 48th Battalion's first major assault at Pozieres,

May was killed during the first Australian advance during the battle of Menin Rd.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew, many thanks for the information! I've just posted a letter to the Australian National Archives to see if they can supply me with service records for the four men. Would you like a copy of T.W. Healey's if I get it?

I'll follow up the leads you suggested.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Guest geoff501

Andrew,

Can you please tell me what the 13th Battalion AIF were up to on 14/08/1916 ?

The name I'm interested in is Pte. 3745 Harry Clarke, killed in action on this day.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Jonathan

Would definately be interested to hear what his service record of Thomas Healey will have to say. The National Archives are backlogged in enquiries for service records to be digitised so it will probably be quicker to get a hardcopy sent.

If I ever track down a photo of him I'll let you know.

Hopefully Tim Dawe (Blackblue) will see your request as he has the unit history of the 9th Battalion and may be able to add something more about that man.

Regards

Andrew

Glen

Found the following in a manuscript of the history of the 3rd TC that was never published. The manuscript is stored at the Australian War Memorial.

This was in the vicinity of Bruyelles.

'On 2/11/18 4748 Spr. Corkery, D.F. was wounded and missing. Afterwards reported killed in action. This regrettable incident removed a young energetic and high spirited sapper from the ranks of the tunnellers.

He, with Sgt Forsyth, was engaged in investigation work in forward areas, believed to be protected by advanced infantry patrols. They were fired on at close range and a snipers bullet found Sapper Corkery. He fell shot through the stomach, and insisted on Sgt Forsyth leaving him knowing he was beyond assistance. Sgt Forsyth when quite convinced there was no hope sought shelter followed by snipers fire.'

It seems he was the last 3rd TC man to be killed in the war though others later died of sickness.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Geoff

The 13th Battalion were involved in the push from Pozieres towards Mouquet Farm on that date. I'll check the Battalion history to see if your man is mentioned.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Jonathan

To save you waiting for the record of Fred May (1265) - it's already digitized & on-line. There are also quite a few reports from men re his death in the Red Cross Files. Seems he was hit by a shell only minutes after going over the top in their attack on Westhoek Ridge.

According to information from his parents on his Honour Roll certificate, Lt Bramwell Adams was shot through the brain at Bapaume whilst trying to locate a sniper.

Cheers, Frev

There is a historian in Victoria who is currently writing the history of the Australian tunnelling companies

Andrew

This is great news - you wouldn't have a name & details by any chance???

Frev

Frev,

Thanks for the information! I had no luck getting access to those parts of the Australian War Memorial site yesterday. Kept coming up with 'site not found'. Will try again shortly.

Incidentally, started on the microfilm copies of the Barry newspapers this morning. Got as far as July 1915. Amazing stuff which filled in a lot of details behind some of the other names on the Roll of Honour.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Just checked out the sites suggested and one of F.W. May's contemporaries said that he'd been recommended for the VC. Can't find any record of a recommendation though.

Jonathan