Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

He was Robert Eland Laws, thanks for looking.

Bob.

The 15th Battalion took part in the Battle of Hamel which occured on July 4 1918. This battle commenced at 3.10am on the morning of July 4, with an intense artillary barrage. Some of the shells fell short and a number of the 15th Battalion were struck and killed by this "friendly fire". I am uncertain if Robert Laws was in this group. He was in the Lewis Gun section of the Battalion. The major objective of the 15th was "Pear Trench", and during this fighting Robert Laws was killed.

Robert Laws was a clerk with the Government Printing Office in Brisbane. He was 30years old when he joined up.He embarked with the 8th reinforcements of the 42nd Battalion, and after training in England was drafted to the 15th Battalion. He is buried in Crucifix Corner Cemetery, Villers Bretonne,France.

That's excellent, many thanks for your time and trouble.

Bob.

Can you tell me what memorial Robert Laws is listed on?

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has 1st editions of these spare (and sale)?

Stacy, B. V.; Kindon, F. J.; Chedgey, H. V., The History of the First Battalion A.I.F., 1914-1919 (Sydney, First Battalion : A.I.F. Association, 1931)

Chataway, T. P. (Thomas Percival); Goldenstedt, Paul. History of the 15th Battalion, Australian Imperial Force : war 1914-1918. Rev. ed. (Brisbane, Qld. : William Brooks, 1948)

Mackenzie, Keith Wemyss. The story of the Seventeenth Battalion, A. I. F. in the Great War, 1914-1918. (Sydney, 1946)

The 23rd Battalion, A.I.F. souvenir. (France : H.H. Ford, 1918)

Keating, Maurice Barber Bevan. War book of the Third Pioneer Battalion. (Melbourne : Specialty Press, 1922)

Stevens, F. H., The story of the 5th Pioneer Battalion, A.I.F. (Adelaide : Callotype Co., 1937)

E. Beaver and J.W.G. Meldrum, Short history of the 34th Battalion, A.I.F., (Sydney: 34th Battalion A.I.F. Association, 1957)

MacGibbon, Frederick William. The Forty-First. ([ France ? : Australian Commonwealth Military Forces, 1920?])

Brahms, Vivian, Spirit of the Forty-Second (Brisbane, W. R. Smith & Paterson Pty Ltd, 1938)

Lee, J. E. (Joseph Edward), A brief history of the 45th Battalion, A.I.F., 1916-1919 ([ Sydney ] : 45th Battalion Reunion Association, 1962

Mick

• 1 month later...

Hi all - me again, another with a connection to my village. his brother James Edward was KIA later in April 1918 - got all I need on him.

Can you give me any brief deatils on how Richard Hutley came to meet his death (got his service records) - But can't find anything in red cross files etc. Unlike me :blink: you guys know where to look :)

Name: HUTLEY, RICHARD

Initials: R

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 26th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/11/1916

Service No: 4427

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Eliza Hutley. Born at Stansted, Essex, England.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Glyn

Can you give me any brief deatils on how Richard Hutley came to meet his death (got his service records) - But can't find anything in red cross files etc. Unlike me :blink: you guys know where to look :)

On the 14/11/16 the 26th Battalion was the right hand battalion of the 7th Australian Brigade attacking at Flers. The 26th Battalion was tasked with attacking the Maze. Zero hour was at 6.45am; starting with an artillery bombardment followed by the infantry advance 3 minutes later. The 26th got into the Maze, but was driven out by a determined counter-attack. It was one of the last actions of the Battle of the Somme, and was a complete failure.

See: http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories/4/chapters/25.pdf

Thanks Guys

Bob - That'll do very nicely

Cheers

Glyn

hi all ,

just found out that two relatives served with the aif , i have managed to download both of their service records and found them on the nominal roll but i would love to find out more

ernest eldridge served in 27th inf battalion from 31/5/1915 to 4/6/19 he reached france 21/3/16

george daniel eldridge served 3rd inf battalion 12/6/15 to 29/6/20

george disembarked at marseilles 28/3/16 and on 28/6/16 was admitted to 14th hospital wimereux with shell shock . could anyone tell me where he would have been between these dates?

also does anyone know where i could buy27th and 3rd unit historys ? im not bothered about what edition/ condition as long as they are readable and cheap !

thanks

hi all ,

just found out that two relatives served with the aif , i have managed to download both of their service records and found them on the nominal roll but i would love to find out more

ernest eldridge served in 27th inf battalion from 31/5/1915 to 4/6/19 he reached france 21/3/16

george daniel eldridge served 3rd inf battalion 12/6/15 to 29/6/20

george disembarked at marseilles 28/3/16 and on 28/6/16 was admitted to 14th hospital wimereux with shell shock . could anyone tell me where he would have been between these dates?

also does anyone know where i could buy27th and 3rd unit historys ? im not bothered about what edition/ condition as long as they are readable and cheap !

thanks

Mate

In this time period between landing in France and the end of June 1916 the 3rd Battalion would still have been in the area around Fleurbaix.

I'll double check the unit history when I get home but I think the 3rd Battalion and the other 1st Division units were relieved from this area around later June/early July in order to prepare for their work on the Somme.

In regards to obtaining unit histories, both the 3rd & 27th have been reprinted, but both would be in the range of $150 Australian dollars and upwards.

If you are in Australia you can go to your state library to most likely see a copy but it will be a bit harder if you are in the UK.

Regards

Andrew

hi andrew ,

thanks for replying & for the info , i have managed to buy a reprinted history of the 27th so am just on the look out for a 3rd now . (im in uk so unfortunately the library option is out of the question)

i would be grateful for any more info on what the 3rd were doing around Fleurbaix between those dates.

thanks

daz

Tim D

Just saw your posting from August and want to thank you. Sorry about the delay, I didn't know your answer was there all this time.

As a point of interest, one of my aunts put me in touch with her cousin in New Zealand who was a niece of the two Barley brothers and spent some time with the surviving brother (Ron) after the war. She was able to tell me Ron worked sheep and coal mines after recovering physically from his wounds, and died of lung cancer about 30 years ago. He got a soldier's funeral and his ashes are at the Australian War Memorial.

The tiny little details are filtering in and bringing these two fascinating men back to life in many ways. Thanks again for your help.

BC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - not sure if you've got a copy of the 45th Bn History Andrew - but I know Tim (Blackblue) has.

Wondering if it could be checked to see if it mentions an accidental shooting in a front-line post near Hamel on the 8th July 1918.

Reading "Somme Mud" & Lynch says on p.249:

"An hour or so ago there was a nasty happening in D Company when one of the sergeants, while cleaning his rifle, accidently killed a man in the post."

Can only find 3 men of the 45th died this day - one of wounds received earlier & the other 2 are listed as KIA - nothing in their records to show otherwise. Of the 52 Aussies I've found that died that day, none are listed as 'accidently killed'.

Hoping the Unit History might shed some light on this.

Cheers, Frev

Good Morning,

I have checked the 45th Battalion history (The Chronicle of the 45th Battalion AIF by J E Lee) but there is no mention of this incident. It does show that C & D Companies of the Battalion were in action on the night of the 7th July, and that they had some losses.

I also checked "The Battle of Hamel" by John Laffin and Volume 6 of the Bean histories but neither make mention of this accident.

Hi guys - not sure if you've got a copy of the 45th Bn History Andrew - but I know Tim (Blackblue) has.

Wondering if it could be checked to see if it mentions an accidental shooting in a front-line post near Hamel on the 8th July 1918.

Reading "Somme Mud" & Lynch says on p.249:

"An hour or so ago there was a nasty happening in D Company when one of the sergeants, while cleaning his rifle, accidently killed a man in the post."

Can only find 3 men of the 45th died this day - one of wounds received earlier & the other 2 are listed as KIA - nothing in their records to show otherwise. Of the 52 Aussies I've found that died that day, none are listed as 'accidently killed'.

Hoping the Unit History might shed some light on this.

Cheers, Frev

G'day Andrew,

Am conducting a little family research and have just received an email form the NAA that my Great GF Albert Victor Chantry's (1217 D Coy 23rd Batt) Service Record has been uploaded for viewing.., an outstanding resource.

It indicates that he served with the 23rd in Gallipoli but was invalided back to Australia in April 1916. Luckily for me, he missed the actions at Pozieres and Mouquet Farm.

I understand the 23rd spent their time in Gallipoli at Lone Pine, and would like some further info on the Battalion if you have a copy of their Diary for the period.

Incidentally, I have just read through the first 200 pages of Les Carlyon's recently published "The Great War", an excellent read and follow up to his account of Gallipoli.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additonally, I am a currently serving in the RAN as the Gunnery Officer in HMAS Stuart, and if you require any historical information on the RAN, I have some excellent sources and contacts in the Seapower Centre (Navy's Historical Research Centre).

Dave

G'day Andrew,

Am conducting a little family research and have just received an email form the NAA that my Great GF Albert Victor Chantry's (1217 D Coy 23rd Batt) Service Record has been uploaded for viewing.., an outstanding resource.

It indicates that he served with the 23rd in Gallipoli but was invalided back to Australia in April 1916. Luckily for me, he missed the actions at Pozieres and Mouquet Farm.

I understand the 23rd spent their time in Gallipoli at Lone Pine, and would like some further info on the Battalion if you have a copy of their Diary for the period.

Incidentally, I have just read through the first 200 pages of Les Carlyon's recently published "The Great War", an excellent read and follow up to his account of Gallipoli.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additonally, I am a currently serving in the RAN as the Gunnery Officer in HMAS Stuart, and if you require any historical information on the RAN, I have some excellent sources and contacts in the Seapower Centre (Navy's Historical Research Centre).

Dave

Hi Dave

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you through the 23rd Bn Gallipoli info.

Regards

Andrew

Hi, I've been attempting to find information on my maternal grandfather, found the National Australian Archives and have got the digital copy.http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp. I think that is the link if not search for BRINKHURST there is only one record, which has certainly helped!

Been struggling to find any information on where he was in France or what his company was doing.

The family story was he followed his brother to Australia some time after 1901 (from the national cencus) there is some story about his brother had stolen the family fortune! Not sure how true that is as his father was a bricklayer.

So I may have relatives in Australia about which we know nothing. Any help would be greatly appricated.

It's amazing the things that are buried in the past, and I've only got back a couple of generations.

Thanking you in advance

John Reeve

I forgot to add that I also possess "The Battle History of the Royal New South Wales Regiment". This includes details of the engagements of the following battalions:

1st AIF

1, 2, 3, 4, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 30, 33, 34, 35, 36, 41, 45, 53, 54, 55, 56.

(The 41st was predominantly a Queensland battalion in WW1 but was 'stolen' by New South Wales after WW2).

2nd AIF

2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/4, 2/13, 2/17, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19, 2/20, 2/30, 2/33.

If possible could you give me a bit of battle history for the 34th Battalion during 1917 (especially around about October) My G.G. Uncle was killed in the Passchendaele area on 17.10.17 (Pte. Robert Hennessey (34/453)

If possible could you give me a bit of battle history for the 34th Battalion during 1917 (especially around about October) My G.G. Uncle was killed in the Passchendaele area on 17.10.17 (Pte. Robert Hennessey (34/453)

Hi Joan,

Have you looked at his Red Cross File? It tells how he was believed killed:

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/web/1DRL4...016-1320201.pdf

And I guess you have seen his service papers:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

He was actually KIA on the 12th October. If you read the section on Passchendaele in the official history it gives an account of what the 9th Brigade and the 34th Battalion were up to in the lead up to his death on the 12th October. Captain Gilder (whose batman he was) is mentioned on pages 911 and 913...so you can rest assured he wasn't too far away.

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories/5/chapters/22.pdf

Rgds

Tim

Thanks for that Tim, I had seen his army record and the red cross file but I'd never seen the official history before. What an interesting read it was too!

Once again thanks for the link.

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

If this offer of look-ups is still open, would you be able to check for information on 44th Bn. The man I'm researching is:

Name: KAVANAGH, PATRICK

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 44th Bn.

Date of Death: 04/10/1917

Service No: 3086

He's commemorated at Menin Gate Memorial. I wanted to get some information on what the Battalion was doing around the time of his death and anything else of interest. I notice there are a couple of books on this Battalion, but I haven't had the time to get in to the State Library to check them. Although I live in Australia, this is the first Aussie soldier I've researched so I'm a novice in this area! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn

My great Uncle DOW during the Battle of Broodseinde Ridge on the same day and is buried in Nine Elms Cemetery.

The details of the 44th Battalion and is battles are listed at the AWM:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11231.asp

All you need do is click on Broodseinde and a synopsis of the engagment is there.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Thanks very much for that link. I'd never heard of Broodseinde before, although I'm not very familiar many of the Australian engagements. It seems like another terrible battle.

Patrick Kavanagh is not a relation of mine. I had been helping a woman in Ireland, who originally contacted me about a Scottish soldier, and she asked me about him as an afterthough, as she thought I might be able to help as I live here. So I have passed on this additional information, for which I'm sure she will be delighted. Next time I'm in Canberra I'll see if I can see the War Diary.

Regards

Carolyn