Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

Andrew

i have an 11th battalion "Survivor" from the village

George Durnford , from his files i see he is reported missing on the 16th April 1917, later found to be POW

Any clues as to action undertaken/locations etc for that day

Most appreciated

Bob

I think that link may lead to the 11th Infantry Brigade's war diary. The Battalion war diaries are due to be uploaded towards the end of the year. But your link has alerted me to the fact that they've got as far as the Brigades - thanks for that, I'm off to download parts of the first three brigades! :)

Official War History is here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/volume.asp?conflict=1

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to sound a bit vague and convoluted on this one, but would you have any info on the actions of the 1st Divisional Supply Column please? They were formed in September 1914 as part of the 9th Army Service Corps Company and left Melbourne on the 'Ceramic' when assigned to the 1st Division AIF [22-12-1914]. They arrived in England on the 15-2-1915 and renamed '300th Mechanical Transport Company'.

The period I am particularly interested in is that spent with the British 17th [Northern] Division between February 1915 and April 1916, where they were renamed and acted to the 17th Divisional Supply Column on the Western Front. This was the period before they were once again re-assigned and renumbered in the AIF [1st Division], and disbanded in March 1918. Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dave

PS: Cheers, Chris N, and thanks for the link to the AIF. See you tomorrow.

Andrew is currently in Gallipoli and arriving back in Australia some time this week. I will send him the link so that he can answer when he gets back.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to sound a bit vague and convoluted on this one, but would you have any info on the actions of the 1st Divisional Supply Column please? They were formed in September 1914 as part of the 9th Army Service Corps Company and left Melbourne on the 'Ceramic' when assigned to the 1st Division AIF [22-12-1914]. They arrived in England on the 15-2-1915 and renamed '300th Mechanical Transport Company'.

The period I am particularly interested in is that spent with the British 17th [Northern] Division between February 1915 and April 1916, where they were renamed and acted to the 17th Divisional Supply Column on the Western Front. This was the period before they were once again re-assigned and renumbered in the AIF [1st Division], and disbanded in March 1918. Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dave

PS: Cheers, Chris N, and thanks for the link to the AIF. See you tomorrow.

Hi Dave

I'm not home in WA yet but I can't really add much on this unit.

I remember checking a war diary for a Pal the last time I was in Canberra for one of the early Australian supply units that arrived in England but the war diary was very sparse. Offhand I can't recall if it was the same company that you are interested in. Unless another Pal is going to Canberra and can check the war diary the alternative may be to wiat for it to be digistised which may be a while considering the infantry battalions are yet to be put on there.

Sorry couldn't be much help.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Glyn

Extract from the diary of Captain G.D.Mitchell MC DCM 48th Battalion held at the Australian War Memorial.

At the time of writing they were in the vicinity of Messines.

"June 12th. I soon discovered a concrete blockhouse and dived in. There were several bunks in it. Soon I was on one and sound asleep. The other company officers were in the adjoining one. Many shells landed outside. The blast shook the place. Then the tragedy happened. Captain Mayersbeth dashed in with blood pouring from a hole in his chest. An artery had been cut and there was no possible compression point. I pressed on top of the wound, and the bleeding went on internally. He was doomed. He knew it and said so. I knew it and could not deny it. Such futility would not be right. He said goodbye to his wife, Goodbye to his boys. He asked for absolution, recited a prayer and died like a brave man.

Night came. We buried the Captain and another man who had been killed."

Regards

Andrew

I'd be grateful if you'd let me have any other mentions of Mayersbeth that you might come across in Captain Mitchell's diary.

Colin Bye

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew

Two questions 1) Do you have any info, say war diaries etc of the 6th Australian (Victoria) Artillery Battery who were in a composite Brigade with the 3rd NZ and the 6th East Lankeshire Batteries from mid May 1915 until maybe August or September 1915 and 2) Do you happen to live in Canberra or know of any other Forum member who could pay a visit on my behalf to Duntroon?

Thanks for your time

Kiwi Bob

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/index.asp

The War Diaries are being digitised and will be available on line. Please keep a check at the above website of the Australian War Memorial for the next lot to be uploaded.

Official War History is available here:

Unit History is available here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/ww1.asp

Hope these assist in the interim.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I'd be grateful if you'd let me have any other mentions of Mayersbeth that you might come across in Captain Mitchell's diary.

Colin Bye

Hi Colin

Out of curiosity are you a relative of Mayersbeth or just generally interested?

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Two questions 1) Do you have any info, say war diaries etc of the 6th Australian (Victoria) Artillery Battery who were in a composite Brigade with the 3rd NZ and the 6th East Lankeshire Batteries from mid May 1915 until maybe August or September 1915 and 2) Do you happen to live in Canberra or know of any other Forum member who could pay a visit on my behalf to Duntroon?

Thanks for your time

Kiwi Bob

Sorry Kiwi, can add nothing further on this unit and I live on the other side of the continent so can't help with the Canberra side of things, sorry.

link timed out so this is the correct one:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

the one you are looking at is the 'search now' option which will take you to search idividual soldiers. Type in their name and in the date range 1914 - 1920.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

My apologies for the crappy link guys - the record series it was referring to was AWM224 Unit Manuscript Histories.

Cheers,

Aaron.

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/ww1.asp

That is the link for the unit details.

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/

That is the link for the unit diaries ... only the Light Horse has been digitised at this stage.

That is the link for the Official War History.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 1 month later...

Hi ya - I'm after some possible info from the 24th Bn History - just checked your list Drew & know you don't have a copy (besides I've probably bugged you enough today) - just hoping Tim (Blackblue) or someone else might read this thread.

Have a letter from Richard Fagan (6944) who was taken prisoner by the Germans 10/6/1918 - in it he says "With another chap, we got out of our latitude after a raid near Albert, and ran into a 'Jerry' outpost. Before we knew our predicament squirts were pressed against our hearts, and all chance of resistance was impossible."

Hoping the Unit History might mention the other guys name - otherwise I guess I'll have to wait & see if the War Diary does. If someone can see their way clear to have a check for me (sorry to be a pain - I know it doesn't have an index!!) I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Frev

Hi ya - I'm after some possible info from the 24th Bn History - just checked your list Drew & know you don't have a copy (besides I've probably bugged you enough today) - just hoping Tim (Blackblue) or someone else might read this thread.

Have a letter from Richard Fagan (6944) who was taken prisoner by the Germans 10/6/1918 - in it he says "With another chap, we got out of our latitude after a raid near Albert, and ran into a 'Jerry' outpost. Before we knew our predicament squirts were pressed against our hearts, and all chance of resistance was impossible."

Hoping the Unit History might mention the other guys name - otherwise I guess I'll have to wait & see if the War Diary does. If someone can see their way clear to have a check for me (sorry to be a pain - I know it doesn't have an index!!) I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Frev

Nothing on that date at all I'm afraid Frev. No mention of a raid at all. It says that SGT P.J.Molloy MM was KIA on a patrol on the evening of the 8th/9th. Just says that the two days after were very quiet and the 'calm before the storm'. There is a mention of a raid on the 14th when CPL C.S.McLeish MM & Bar and two others (un-named) pursued some Germans into an old mill and appear to have been captured as it was a strong post.

Rgds

Tim D

Looking at his service papers I doubt that he was captured 'after a raid'. It seems he was initially reported AWL which does not seem to ring true with being captured when on an operation. A Court of Inquiry was later held...I wonder if those records are avaliable somewhere?

Thanks for looking this up Tim

Hmmm......the AWL was crossed out & replaced with 'missing in action', later POW - but the fact no raid is mentioned does make it seem a bit odd. Guess I'll have to wait till the War diary comes on line & see if it sheds any light on the matter. As to the inquiry papers, can't find anything at the Nat Archives......... but surely they must be somewhere?? Back to the drawing board.

Cheers, Frev

Andrew

i have an 11th battalion "Survivor" from the village

George Durnford , from his files i see he is reported missing on the 16th April 1917, later found to be POW

Any clues as to action undertaken/locations etc for that day

Bob,

According to Legs Eleven, the Battalion history, on 15th April the Germans counter attacked the Australian 1st Division in front of the Hindenburg Line (Battle of Lagnicourt). The 11th Battalion was holding a position well forward on a protruding spur NE of the village of Louverval with a line of posts in front of the main line. Some of these posts were lost during the German attack.The Battalion had 245 casualties including 180 missing. On the 16th patrols were sent out to make contact with the enemy, search for any wounded and dead and for the collection of enemy identifications. They came under light rifle fire. No mention of losses. The Battalion was relieved on the 17th. Perhaps Durnford was one of the missing from the action on the 15th but reported on the 16th.

Cheers

Chris

Joseph is a relative. His grandfather was my great grandfather.

see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~c...lliam/index.htm

for further details about Joseph

Hi Colin

Apologies for the delay in reply. I've checked my notes but that was the only mention of Captain Mayersbeth that I wrote from Mitchell's diaries. It may be of interest to you though that Mitchell's book called 'Backs to the Wall' was republished this year.

Regards

Andrew