Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

Hi Carolyn

There is no mention of Patrick Kavanagh in the 44th Bn history though he is listed in the honour roll. There is also a Phillip Kavanagh listed that died in January 1917.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for taking the time to check Andrew. I have found out the name of the battle he was in.

Regards

Carolyn

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew,

Would you have location/action for the 16th battalion May 2nd 1915.

Local memorial man Peter Shipp originally from Middlesbrough KIA with the battalion that day.

Bob.

Bob ... Andrew is 'Missing in Action' for a few days :)

In the meantime:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11203.asp

Will give you a little on the 16th.

Any other units you might be looking for information on you can find at:

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/ww1.asp

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Andrew,

Would you have location/action for the 16th battalion May 2nd 1915.

Local memorial man Peter Shipp originally from Middlesbrough KIA with the battalion that day.

Bob.

Bob,

The 16th Battalion suffered heavy casualties on 2 May at The Bloody Angle, between Quinn's Post and Pope's Hill. The Official History (Vol 1) has a detailed account of the action there. There is a photo of Pter Shipp in the Sydney Morning Herald of 31 May 1915.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

I am conducting research into these two brothers:

Sgt 629 Major Johnston 6th Light Horse, Killed at the Battle of Romani; and

L/Cpl 2165 Arthur Johnston 4/20th Battalion KIA 18/5/1918

I have copies of each of their Service Records, but would like to marry them up with

the Unit History/Diary if you would be so kind.

Thanks for your trouble.

Dave

Hi Dave

I don't have the histories for these two units. Maybe Tim or someone else assist otherwise you can check with the people on the Lighthorse forum.

Cheers

Andrew

Firstly I won't be mentioning the cricket except to say you guys deserved it.

Anyway my question for you all.

Have found out that this guys grandfather was a doctor in my village.

Name: OWEN, PERCY IRVINE HAYLOCK

Initials: P I H

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 22/09/1917

Additional information: Son of Lt. Col. Robert Haylock Owen, C.M.G., and Hilda Grace Owen of Morton Grange, Thornbury, Glos., England. Native of Gibraltar.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: LXI. B. 9.

Cemetery: TYNE COT CEMETERY

Got the usual, service record, letters etc - usual places.

What I would love is a picture - just wondered if there was one about anywhere especially as his father was Lt Col Owen - Gallipoli etc

Thanks all

Glyn

Glyn,

he is mentioned here.

http://www.zip.com.au/~viv/volunteers/o.htm

I have not explored the site for contacts etc as am not on my PC.

Perhaps the site organisers may help :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Sandra

Thanks - bit of extra info there

Cheers

Glyn

My great-uncle, Sapper Matthew Richard Cassidy, who was with the 2nd Signals Company of the AIF, was court-martialled in Dunstable, UK, in 1917.

I have his service record from the Australian NAA site, but it only contains brief details, and I should like to find out more.

Does anyone know if court-martial proceedings for Australian personnel held in the UK are likely to have survived, and if so, where?

Mary

Try the NAA again

Title

[CASSIDY M : Service Number - 1058 : Unit - Australian Signals, Australian Imperial Force : Date of Court Martial - 18 May 1917]

Series number

A471 Control symbol

7059 Contents date range

1917 - 1917

Access status

Not yet examined Location

Canberra Barcode

Chris Henschke

Thanks, Chris, I'd missed that.

Does that mean that I can apply to have his court martial record digitised, or would I have to apply for photocopies?

OK, no need to answer, I've just found the answer on the NAA site - I can apply for access, and they'll let me know the status of the file.

Thanks for your help,

Mary

• 5 months later...

Hi there, I hope some of you still monitor this thread. I've re-started research on the Battle of the Lys, and am looking forward to the release of the battalion war diaries later this year. I've already latched on to the 1st Australian Division's WD. I'm hoping to back the war diaries up with accounts from battalion histories. These are difficult to find in UK, and will definitely require a visit to the British library in St Pancras, London. I still have the holding at the NA to investigate.

I hope though that you might help me out with some accounts when I've run out of options here. And that you might answer some questions for me.

Firstly Keown's "Forward with the Fifth" - how many pages does it run to? And how many pages are devoted to Aptril 1918, please? I have located a copy in a uni library in UK. They might not send it out, but they might photocopy the extract for me, hence the request.

And your assessment of the recent Slouch Hat publications on 4th, 6th, 7th and 8th Bns (iirc)?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...th+the+Fifth%22

This Google search leads to sites that discuss "Forward With the Fifth" ... it is 360 pages from what I can see.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I had a relative who was in the 3rd battalion who died at Broodseinde on 4/10/17. Is there any chance you could let me have an extract of their unit diary if you still have it? I have only recently found out about him so anything you have is of great interest.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Keith ... my uncle DOW on the same day.

You will find the Unit Diaries here. The Australian War Memorial are still working on the digitisation of these records.

http://www.awm.gov.au/diaries/ww1/index.asp

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I believe the Diaries for Infantry Battalions are supposed to be completed (digitised) and online by the end of the year.

Looking at the website as it is right now however, doesn't present much of a case for optimism!

Jim

Ahhhhhaaaa ... don't underestimate them Jim :)

Keith ... here is the Official War History link where you will find the Battle of Broodseinde.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/volume.asp?conflict=1

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Thanks Sandra. My relative was in the 3rd battalion so its not online yet but I have bookmarked it.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what the 18th Bn were doing around 20/9/17 please. A gentleman from Australia is visiting here tracing his family roots and has a relation who was killed on this date.

Lionboxer