Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

G'day Andrew,

I am after information on Walter Crossing. He served with the 11th Battalion in 'G' Company. He enlisted on September 5th, 1914 Sern 767, and was discharged November 14th, 1915. I am assuming he was badly knocked at Gallipoli

I need to fill in the blanks with his AIF service, any info you have would be appriciated.

FYI. He later went on to serve with the RNVR attached to the RNAS armoured car units in Russia and was awarded the DSO & DSC as wellas a swag of Russian awards. He served with the RAAF during WW2.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the information you provided on Daniel Corkery.

I have no photo's or any other info on him unfortunately.

I would be interested in finding out when his Unit arrived in England and where they trained before

they left for the Front. Also, was the 3rd.Tunnelling Company attached to the Royal Engineers?.

I have no idea which Battery his brother William Corkery served in.

The only information I have is he was with the 3rd. Field Artillery Brigade third reinforcements for the

1st Artillery Division, 1st. Division A.I.F.

Thanks again Glenn.

Hi Andrew

Hope it's all going well. I'll check if I have anything on him or if he's mentioned in the unit histories.

Look forward to getting a copy of your book when its done.

Cheers

Andrew

G'day Andrew,

The book is ticking over and I am being contacted by quite a few relatives now, its only taken 6 years!!!

I am heading down to the AWM on Monday for my annual pilgrimage for the Dawn Service on Tuesday. Is there anyone you need looked up??? I believe after this month the research centre is only going to have access to part of its collection and then in September it will be closed for nearly 2 months.

Thanks for the look up

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Unfortunately he's not listed in either of the 11th Battalion histories apart from his name being listed as part of the original G Company.

The only info I have on him is the basic bio details.

Enlisted 05/09/14 - Teacher of Geraldton WA - Born Broken Hill - Father lived at Port Pirie SA

I had a look at the cemeteries register and there is a Walter Leonard Crossing listed as having died on the 23/06/1961 aged 67. He was cremated and Ashes taken by War Graves from Karrakatta

Unfortunately I couldn't access his electronic service record at NAA otherwise I'd be able to see what date he was wounded and could check the battalion history to see what happened on that date. I'll try again later to have a look at his service record and hopefully the NAA site will stop playing up.

I did notice though that there was a reference to a court martial for Walter Crossing on the NAA site.

Thanks for the offer at the AWM. There is something I need copied from a Reveille magazine from the 1930's if it's not to much trouble. I'll find the reference at home and e-mail it through to you.

Cheers

Andrew

G'day Andrew,

He was court martialed for refusing to work due to the lack of rations, he was a bloke of principle because he refused to fall out even after he was informed of the punishment. That is also Crossing buried in WA.

As for the Reveille request don't worry too much as I can access the whole collection at the State Library in Sydney, infact I have just spent 3 weeks trolling through the Last Post section where ex servicemen who pass away are mentioned.

I will check out 11th Bn diaries when I get to the AWM.

Thanks again mate,

Andrew.

Guest geoff501
The 13th Battalion were involved in the push from Pozieres towards Mouquet Farm on that date. I'll check the Battalion history to see if your man is mentioned.

Andrew, Thanks for this pointer. Just downloaded the Official history chapters on the Mouquet farm attack, from the AWM website.

Regards,

Geoff

One for Blackblue, hope you dont mind Andrew!

Its the 9th I'm interested in and information contained from the period 6th July to 20th July 1918.

The chap I'm interested in (Pte Gregory Groom, 7252) returned to the 9th following a period at XV Corp school? He died of wounds on 20th July 1918 following action at Meteren and I was wondering if the Unit History contains any mention of what the Battalion was doing for the period up to the attack (on the morning of the 19th I believe) and also if a map exists of the ground covered over the next two days?

Thank you

Also if it mentions which platoon he was assigned to and which Lt commanded that platoon?

Mark

One for Blackblue, hope you dont mind Andrew!

Its the 9th I'm interested in and information contained from the period 6th July to 20th July 1918.

The chap I'm interested in (Pte Gregory Groom, 7252) returned to the 9th following a period at XV Corp school? He died of wounds on 20th July 1918 following action at Meteren and I was wondering if the Unit History contains any mention of what the Battalion was doing for the period up to the attack (on the morning of the 19th I believe) and also if a map exists of the ground covered over the next two days?

Thank you

Also if it mentions which platoon he was assigned to and which Lt commanded that platoon?

Mark

Mark,

No personal mention of your man and no maps. The Bn was in reserve at La Kreule from 5 July to 13 July when they releived the 5th Bn in the line at Le Waton, 2 miles East of Strazeele. The 9th was on the left flank of the Divisional front.

The Bn were involved in active patrolling around this time in and behind the German lines. On the morning 19 July the Bn launched an 'unrehearsed and impromptu attack'. Fighting patrols of up to 2 platoons in strength (mainly 1, 2, 3 and 4 Platoons of A Coy supported by D Coy) were tasked with getting behind the German lines at Meteren Becque and disrupting proceedings to support a proposed attack by the South African Brigade of the 9th Division. It states that A Coy received 2 killed and 6 wounded during the operation with the whole Bn suffering only 25 casualties to this point, altough a heavy German retaliatory bombardment appears to have killed and wounded more. If you want a photocopy send me your e-mail address on PM.

Rgds

Tim

Tim

Thanks for your trouble mate, a little bit more info is always useful but it was the map I was hoping for.

Thank you anyway sir.

One more thing, what was a "Reinforcement" as in 9th Battalion, 24th Reinforcement?

Mark

Andrew

Got the service records in the end.

Just to add a few details - In my Local newspaper dated 7-7-1917 Mayersbeth was included in the casualty lists and it when on to say ... ex scholar of Stansted Church of England school who was brought up as a Dr Barnados boy by Mrs F.Bedlow of this parish.

Then on 14-7-1917 it said ... Mrs F.Bedlow reports that he was not brought up as a Barnados boy.

I got this info from a friend who spotted it in the papers - I will endeavour to get down there in the next week or so and copy the originals.

Will let you know in due course.

Yours (and Tims) help is always much appreciated

Glyn

Joseph Mayersbeth was my mother's cousin.

Did you ever get the full newspaper items?

Colin

Tim

Thanks for your trouble mate, a little bit more info is always useful but it was the map I was hoping for.

Thank you anyway sir.

One more thing, what was a "Reinforcement" as in 9th Battalion, 24th Reinforcement?

Mark

Mark,

The AIF infantry reinforcement groups were generally allocated to a battalion before they left Australia. Hence 24th Reinforcments, 9th Battalion would mean the 24th group of reinforcements for the 9th Battalion.

Rgds

Tim

Hi Colin

Hopefully Glyn will reply in regard to the newspaper items but do you know if anyone in your family has a photo of Joseph Mayersbeth?

Regards

Andrew

I'm afraid not. It's possible that the descendants of his wife in Australia might have a photo. I'll try to contact one of them, but my recent emails to him have gone unanswered.

What little we know about Joseph Mayersbeth can be found at

http://www.byeandbye.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...lliam/index.htm

His parents divorced in 1900 and the children appear to have been split up. So far we've not found any trace of his parents after 1901. The descendants of the different children seem to have been largely unaware of one another.

Colin

Hi Andrew, I have been researching (from your fantastic Australian online records) a chap from the 12th battalion 4th reinforcements Harry Hodgson 1765. I understand that he arrived on the 26/5/1915 was blown up on the 12/7/15 while in a trench in Gallipoli. He survived to be sent to the UK and then to Etaples to join the !st MGC. While he survived apparently he was buried by the blast and had smashed ribs several or many of his comrades were killed. I was therefore wondering if there was any mention of the incident in the unit records and where they were at time. Thanks Gareth.

I'm afraid not. It's possible that the descendants of his wife in Australia might have a photo. I'll try to contact one of them, but my recent emails to him have gone unanswered.

What little we know about Joseph Mayersbeth can be found at

http://www.byeandbye.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...lliam/index.htm

His parents divorced in 1900 and the children appear to have been split up. So far we've not found any trace of his parents after 1901. The descendants of the different children seem to have been largely unaware of one another.

Colin

Thanks Colin. Will check out that website.

Regards

Andrew

Mark,

The AIF infantry reinforcement groups were generally allocated to a battalion before they left Australia. Hence 24th Reinforcments, 9th Battalion would mean the 24th group of reinforcements for the 9th Battalion.

Rgds

Tim

Got it, thanks for your reply Tim

Mark

Hi Andrew, I have been researching (from your fantastic Australian online records) a chap from the 12th battalion 4th reinforcements Harry Hodgson 1765. I understand that he arrived on the 26/5/1915 was blown up on the 12/7/15 while in a trench in Gallipoli. He survived to be sent to the UK and then to Etaples to join the !st MGC. While he survived apparently he was buried by the blast and had smashed ribs several or many of his comrades were killed. I was therefore wondering if there was any mention of the incident in the unit records and where they were at time. Thanks Gareth.

Hi Gareth

The following is from the 12th Battalion history for July 12th 1915

‘Two days later a demonstration was carried out by the 3rd Brigade and the Light Horse on our right, to keep the Turks in his lines and prevent reinforcements being sent to the southern zone, where the 8th Army Corps was attacking. The 12th Battalion’s part consisted in sending forward a covering party of one officer and twenty men in advance of Tasmania post, and then rushing parties of men over the parapet of the support trenches (main line of defence) across the valley into Tasmania Post to simulate an attack on the Turkish trenches on Holly Ridge. These men were then to return by the communication trenches. At 8.15am the first party hopped over, and were followed at intervals of three to five minutes by four more parties. At first the enemy’s fire was weak but increased as each party appeared. Lt T Weavers led the covering party of twenty men from Tasmania Post, and they were exposed to a heavy machine gun and rifle fire. They remained out for twenty five minutes and then withdrew. Lieut. Weavers was badly wounded in the arm and ten others were wounded. The operation was well carried out and achieved the desired result.’

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew thats kind of you to do the look up, thats most interesting a well run operation with just 50% wounded! Says it all about WW1. I dont think this was the incident though as there were several deaths but these may of cource not have been directly 12th battalion my man may have been away from his battalion. The relevant record page is

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp

I think its great to be able to have access to these records, I had this one opened last year and was expecting just a couple of pages. I wish it was as easy in the UK. Anyway thanks again GAreth

• 1 month later...

Good Morning,

I have an interest in the Australian forces in WW1, and hold the following battalion histories.

1st Batt.

2nd Batt

3rd Batt

4th Batt

5th Batt

6th Batt

7th Batt

8th Batt

9th Batt

10th Batt

11th Batt

12th Batt. I have a spare copy of this hard cover Burridge reprint for sale.

13th Batt

14th Batt.

15th Batt

16th Batt

17th Batt

21st Batt

22nd Batt. I have a spare copy of this hard cover Burridge reprint for sale.

23rd Batt

24th Batt

25th Batt

27th Batt

28th Batt

29th Batt

30th Batt

31st Batt

32nd Batt

33rd Batt. I have a spare copy of this history for sale.

37th Batt

38th Batt

39th Batt

40th Batt

41st Batt

42nd Batt

43rd Batt

44th Batt

45th Batt

46th Batt. I have a spare copy of this history for sale.

48th Batt

49th Batt

50th Batt

51st Batt

52nd Batt

53rd Batt

54th Batt

57/60th Batts.

I also possess a large number of other reference books relative to this subject.

I am happy to assist people with information from these sources.

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sean_H

I'm interested in my grandfather, who survived the war. Charles Edward Harradine, No. 2258, he was in the 13th Battalion serving from Gallipoli through to muster out in 1918(how do I discover what company he was in? I assume he moved companies as promotions came about?). I have his service record from the NAA, I'm interested in any detail in the unit history (which I can't find a copy of anywhere :( ) or the war diaries relating to him. I know he was awarded the MM, got the citation for that from the awards database, but he also had a Mention in Dispatches - not sure if theres anything I can find out about that?

Very vague I realise, I'm still trying to work out how to ask for relevant info.

Cheers,

Sean.