Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

I'm interested in my grandfather, who survived the war. Charles Edward Harradine, No. 2258, he was in the 13th Battalion serving from Gallipoli through to muster out in 1918(how do I discover what company he was in? I assume he moved companies as promotions came about?). I have his service record from the NAA, I'm interested in any detail in the unit history (which I can't find a copy of anywhere :( ) or the war diaries relating to him. I know he was awarded the MM, got the citation for that from the awards database, but he also had a Mention in Dispatches - not sure if theres anything I can find out about that?

Very vague I realise, I'm still trying to work out how to ask for relevant info.

Cheers,

Sean.

Good Morning Sean,

Your Grandfather sounds like an interesting man. He left Australia as a Private soldier and returned as a lieutenant. He certainly came up through the ranks as his rank at the battle of Amiens (8th August 1918) is shown as RSM.

I will search my 13th Battalion history, plus my other references for more information.

Cheers, Rarpos.

Good Morning Sean,

I did look through the 13th Battalion history (The Fighting Thirteenth by T.A.White) yesterday, but could find no references to your grandfather. I will reread the book more slowly and look again.

The AWM records show that he was english born, and was living in the Newcastle (NSW) area when he enlisted. Age is shown as 26 years, and his occupation as butcher. He joined the Army on 13th May 1915, and left Australia (on HMAT Wandilla) on 14th June 1915. You wonder how much training he received in this short period.

He returned to Australia on 15th May 1919, and was discharged.

I will check further and let you know.

Regards,

Rarpos.

Hi Sean & Rarpos

Just a quick scan of the battle where C.E. Harradine won his MM - gives this line towards the top of page 88:

"Sgt E. Harradine was again, as at Mouquet, conspicuous for fearlessness and gallantry."

Haven't scanned through the chapter on Mouquet Farm to see if he's mentioned there.

ONE DAY .............. I'm planning on putting together an index for 'The Fighting Thirteenth' - it's soooo frustrating!

Cheers, Frev

Hi again Sean

Some more info on your grandfather from the book 'Mad Harry'

The great Harry Murray couldn't attend the 13th Battalion Reunion in Sydney 30 Sept 1939 - but these excerpts are from the message he sent in his place:

'How are you all, "A" Company? Just now straining at the leash like your old Company commander?'

'How I would like a few hours with you .............'

'Somehow the war has rejuvenated all the old ties of comradeship and as I write I seem to see you all.'

'I hope you are all well and enjoy the evening. How are you, Humphrey Browning, Bono, Bernie Rose, Les Cleland, Harry Rollings, Stewart, Arthur Lanigan, Len Plasto, Roger Bradley, Harradine - the names all come crowding in; ......................'

Cheers, Frev

Guest Sean_H

That's fantastic - thanks very much rarpos and frev for that information, and for all your delving. Is it likely he was in A company for most of the time, or did they move about in companies as necessity required?

Seems pretty cool to me that 'Mad' Harry names him, and that he served in his company, although reading about the various exploits in Bean's Official history of the 13th and Murray in particular makes me realise how lucky he was to make it through in anything like one piece.

I'm populating a spreadsheet with his service history, and working out where he was when. I've just returned from the Somme and visited some of the sites - an eerie feeling walking around Pozieres and Mouquet Farm and visiting the Australian memorial at Villers-Bretonneux (immaculate cemeteries and bronze plaques at the sites)

Thanks again for the help guys,

Cheers,

Sean.

Andrew,

Could you please look in the official history for me.

I'm researching Capt D.E.Hickey,Tank Corps,I believe he is mentioned in the Australian official history for an action involving his tank section(8th Battalion,T.C.)supporting Australian troops around early to mid August 1918,possibly the 8th to 12th August.

I'm very grateful for anything you might find for me.

Cheers.

Stuart

Andrew,

Could you please look in the official history for me.

I'm researching Capt D.E.Hickey,Tank Corps,I believe he is mentioned in the Australian official history for an action involving his tank section(8th Battalion,T.C.)supporting Australian troops around early to mid August 1918,possibly the 8th to 12th August.

I'm very grateful for anything you might find for me.

Cheers.

Stuart

Hi Stu

Fortunately the Australian Official Histories are now on-line at the Australian War Memorial website. Captain DE Hickey is mentioned from pg689-691.

Hopefully the link works

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories/7/chapters/16.pdf

In the footnotes there is also a reference to an article Capt Hickey wrote.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest Alan Burns
Hi

I have many Australian battalion & unit histories if anyone needs any information from them. Some of them are

2ndBattalion AIF

3rd Battalion AIF

7th Battalion AIF

8th Battalion AIF

11th Battailon AIF

12th Battalion AIF

13th Battalion AIF

14th Battalion AIF

16th Battalion AIF

17th Battalion AIF

21st Bn AIF

23rd Bn AIF

25th Bn AIF

28th Bn AIF

29th Bn AIF

30th Bn AIF

37th Bn AIF (Thanks Dolphin)

40th Bn AIF

44th Bn AIF

48th Bn AIF

10th Light Horse

13th Light Horse

3rd Field Ambulance

9th Field Ambulance

3rd AFC Squadron

Plus a set of Charles Bean's histories.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Good Morning,

I have an interest in the Australian forces in WW1, and hold the following battalion histories.

1st Batt.

2nd Batt

3rd Batt

5th Batt

6th Batt

7th Batt

8th Batt

9th Batt

10th Batt

11th Batt

12th Batt. I have a spare copy of this Burridge reprint for sale.

13th Batt

14th Batt. I have a spare copy of this original history for sale.

15th Batt

16th Batt

17th Batt

21st Batt

22nd Batt

23rd Batt

24th Batt

25th Batt

27th Batt

28th Batt

29th Batt

30th Batt

33rd Batt

37th Batt

38th Batt

39th Batt

40th Batt

41st Batt

42nd Batt

43rd Batt

44th Batt

45th Batt

48th Batt

50th Batt

51st Batt

52nd Batt

53rd Batt

57/60th Batts.

I also possess a large number of other reference books relative to this subject.

I am happy to assist people with information from these sources.

Thanks,

G'Day Rarpos

Just wondering if you still had the 14th unit history available

Thanks

BJF

Rarpos -- is your collection essentially the same as the unit histories held by the UK archives at Kew?

Andrew -- on the AUM site having unit histories: I tried backing up from the link you posted earlier this month and couldn't seem to find a listing of what histories were held. In fact, I only found a reference saying the Korean War and WWII were the only histories on file. So, I was hoping for some clarification.

Thanks

bc

Rarpos -- is your collection essentially the same as the unit histories held by the UK archives at Kew?

Andrew -- on the AUM site having unit histories: I tried backing up from the link you posted earlier this month and couldn't seem to find a listing of what histories were held. In fact, I only found a reference saying the Korean War and WWII were the only histories on file. So, I was hoping for some clarification.

Thanks

bc

Good Morning BC,

I am unsure what the UK archives hold. I have built mine up over many years from originals, reprints and newly written histories. I also hold many other books relating the the Australian Army (mainly), in WW1.

Rarpos.

G'Day Rarpos

Just wondering if you still had the 14th unit history available

Thanks

BJF

I do still have this spare copy for sale.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

G'day pals on the sunny side of the globe (although its been quite hot here lately :D )

Have come across another Australian soldier with a connection to my village of Stansted Essex so I am asking for your help once again- you guys know where to look.

Right here goes

Corporal Frederick Isaac Haggerwood 3787 45th Battalion (got his service papers) - what I would like to know is what action did he receive his MM which was dated 23/6/1917.

From a letter to his father he said the following

‘You say you would like to know what I did to get the medal. We had to follow the New Zealanders close up and when they took xxxxxxxx we had to go 1,000 yards further on, and I can tell you some fight. We lost heavily but Fritz suffered worse, in fact the Fritzes laid about like dead flies. I shall never forget it as long as I live. When the New Zealanders had reached their objective, one officer and eight of us were picked out to run a tape in front of them for our Battalion to line up and give them directions. Well, the officer and two others started the job and in less than ten minutes the officer and one of the men were killed and the other man wounded. I and a corporal took it on and did the job and got the Battalion lined up in their places and never got a scratch. The Corporal was recommended for a V.C. and I for a D.C.M., but they gave us a Military Medal each. I have been made a full Corporal as well, so that is something. We were there for three days. On the last day a shell came close to a shell hole I was camped in and a piece hit me on the leg, but it was only a small cut. I went to the dressing station to get it dressed and while I was there a shell went right where I had been camped and blew everything there to pieces, so I was lucky. You can guess how lucky I was when I tell you that there were 36 of us in the platoon when we went in and only five of us came out all right. The others were either killed or wounded’.

Any help greatly appreciated

Glyn

I do still have this spare copy for sale.

Thanks,

I'm interested in the 44th Battalion AIF from Oct 1916 to June 1917. There were some 'daily intelligence summaries/war diary' at Kew, which I copied. But I'm wondering if you might have anything about this unit.

Corporal Frederick Isaac Haggerwood 3787 45th Battalion (got his service papers) - what I would like to know is what action did he receive his MM which was dated 23/6/1917.

Hi Glyn

We are having a lot of sun here at the moment - though it is winter - and what we really need is RAIN!!

Anyway, your man actually won his MM for his actions on the first day of the Battle of Messines 7/6/17 during their attack on Owl Trench.

His citation can be found here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm28/frame...4P1&page=40

Cheers, Frev

I'm interested in the 44th Battalion AIF from Oct 1916 to June 1917. There were some 'daily intelligence summaries/war diary' at Kew, which I copied. But I'm wondering if you might have anything about this unit.

Thanks BC,

I do have a copy of their unit history, so will check it tonight.

Cheers.

Hi Glyn

We are having a lot of sun here at the moment - though it is winter - and what we really need is RAIN!!

Anyway, your man actually won his MM for his actions on the first day of the Battle of Messines 7/6/17 during their attack on Owl Trench.

His citation can be found here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm28/frame...4P1&page=40

Cheers, Frev

Frev

Top draw mate

As always you guys come up trumps

Cheers

Glyn

Shay,

The 45th Bn history doesn't actually mention him....but mentions others involved.

"Half an hour before the new zero, the battalion formed up on the jumping-off tape-line which had been gallantly laid out by Lieut R.A.M.Murray, Cpl Kingsley and Cpl.Kelly, the two former being killed just after they had completed their task. The enemy in readiness for his counter attack began to put down a heavy barrage".

And in the official history here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories/5/chapters/15.pdf

Murray and Kingsley obviously died and missed out...Kelly was awarded an MM after being recommended for a DCM.

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/awm28/frame...4P1&page=34

No record of anyone being recommended for a VC that day. Haggerwood is listed as being recommended for an MM.

Rgds

Tim D

Tim

Many thanks for that info - all helps me piece together the story surrounding Frederick's MM.

As for the VC recommendation - just what was in Fredericks letter - maybe he was hyping it up a bit :D

Still keep finding these local boys who seemed to find their way into the AIF - probably means I will have a market for my book over there :P

Thanks again mate

Glyn

Good Morning BC,

I have read through my unit histories of the 44th Battalion. The original history was written in 1921 but there has recently (2004) been a new history written by Neville Browning.

I have concentrated on 4 June 1917 when the Battalion was in the Ploegsteert Wood area near Messines. On this day the Battalion were ordered to carry out a daylight raid on the enemy trenches opposite. A small party under the command of Lieut. Gaze and Lieut. Lintott raided the enemy, and came away with prisoners and equipment. The history goes on the quote Private Herbert Everington:

"On the way back he (Archie Barley) was hit by a shell which carried away part of his side. His brother stayed with him until he died, and then in the dark returned almost clothesless having used his shirt for bandages and his tunic for covering. When he returned he was taken to the dressing station. He was in a pitiful state, almost demented with grief and beyond giving particulars".

The history goes on to quote Sgt. Percy Panton, the platoon sergeant of 15 Platoon, D Company who said that he returned to no mans land and found Ronald Barley wounded, and brought him in. It would appear that Ronald was seriously wounded as he was returned to Australia on 25th August 1917.

The history had earlier talked about the twin Barley brothers as being identical and inseparable.

The brothers were working in Queensland at the time of joining up and listed their occupations as Stockmen.They left Australia as reinforcements to the 41st Battalion.

They show their next of kin as living in West Ham, London, England.

I will check further for other information.

More on the Barley's here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...4&hl=barley

The WW1 War Diaries are held at the Australian War Memorial. If you contact the Research Centre there they wil be able to assist. The original WW1 War Diaries are currently in the process of being digitized (to go online as are many of the WW2 diaries). They are also available there on microfiche.

Rgds

Tim D

Would be grateful for any info re location/actions of the 15th bn Australian Infantry on July 4th 1918, local memorial man KIA with them on this date.

Bob.

Unfortunately I don't have their history but on July 4th 1918 the 4th Brigade including the 15th Battalion were tasked with the capture of Vaire & Hamel Wood, while the 11th Brigade captured the village.

You may be able to find more out about the actions of the 15th Bn through the Official Histories on the Australian War Memorial Website.

http://www.awm.gov.au

Would be grateful for any info re location/actions of the 15th bn Australian Infantry on July 4th 1918, local memorial man KIA with them on this date.

Bob.

I have a copy of the unit history, and will check later today. Can you give the name of the man that you mention?