Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Unit Histories

Andrew P

Looks like the new 47th Battalion unit history is now out for those who are interested.

"Battle Scarred: The 47th Battalion in the First World War"

Available here: http://regimental-bo...orld-war-p-1062

Mick

Got the history of the 47th from my local library three weeks ago and just returned it. Well worth reading even though the end of the book is tinged with sadness when the disbandment of

the 47th was carried out after all they had been through. Thoroughly recommend.

Got the history of the 47th from my local library three weeks ago and just returned it. Well worth reading even though the end of the book is tinged with sadness when the disbandment of

Yep - its a very well written book.

Mick

Yep - its a very well written book.

Mick

• 2 months later...

Looks like the unit history of the 36th Battalion AIF is being written - brilliant!

Their Triumphs and Their Trials - Carmichael's 1,000 - A History of the 36th Battalion A.I.F.

I also heard whisperings of a 35th Battalion book being written as well.

Mick

Thanks for the tip Mick. Will be interested in getting that 36th Bn history as my great uncle was an original of that unit before being commissioned into the 34th.

I recently saw that Ron Austin's history on the 2nd Field Ambulance has been released. Anyone read this one?

Cheers

Andrew

Yep - that's out as well.

http://regimental-books.com.au/wounds-and-scars-from-gallipoli-to-france-the-history-of-the-2nd-field-ambulance-1914-1919-p-3026.html

I also heard that two other Field Ambulance unit history books (World War I) are currently being written as well.

One or both due out next year.

Mick

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks,

I just heard some very sad news - Ron Austin, Australian military historian and author of many unit history books has passed away after a battle with illness.

My condolences to his wife Sue and their family.

His contribution to Australian military history was immense and he will certainly be missed.

Mick

Ron's passing certainly will be a huge loss to Australian Military History - but he has left behind a great legacy.

I was thinking about him the other night whilst checking a reference in the 23rd Bn History - and then looking through my bookshelves, counted 13 of his books among my collection!

My thoughts go out to Sue who has lost a soulmate - and I only hope she can continue publishing quality Australian Books through the wonderful business they've built up together - Slouch Hat Publications.

Thanks Ron for all you've given us. Rest peacefully now.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd let you all know about a new Light Horse unit history book that is just out - "In the Footsteps of the First - 1st Australian Light Horse Regiment" by Anne Flood.

Available now from Regimental Books at the below link:

http://regimental-bo...ent-p-3531.html

The book is the history of the 1st Light Horse Regiment during the Gallipoli Campaign.

They are also working on a limited edition of this book with the author. If your interested in a copy of the limited edition (in Hard Cover), please email Glenn (info@regimental-books.com.au) and let him know.

Regards,

Mick

HI All

Has anyone read this new history on 1st Light Horse at Gallipoli yet? The spiel by Regimental Books is one of the longest I have seen, so am figuring it must be good.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

It's on my reading list :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Mick

Any news on the 18th Bn AIF unit history. This one a must for me due the men's work at Hill 60 Gallipoli.

Cheers

Ian

• 11 months later...

The 31st Battalion history by Neville Browning is now available, plus there is also a newly released cd of biographical histories of the 33rd Battalion members.

Regards

Andrew

For anyone who had a family member in the 31st Battalion, I would certainly encourage you to get the book. Really well written and lots of

info and pictures of members who served.

regards

Robert

I agree Robert on Neville's 31st Bn history, around his eighth unit history in 12 or 13 years. Not bad for someone who works long hours in a day job and on call. He is clearly not fully recognised for his significant contribution to Australia's WW1 history. And ALL his books proudly printed in Western Australia. I am sure he will be cracking on another unit history next year. Clearly he has no time to dwell on internet forums! Well done Neville. A quiet achiever in every sense. Without people like him, so much history would remain lost in archives and dusty draws of family homes.

Ian

Ron Austin published a little booklet in 2011 titled "AIF Unit Histories of the Great War of 1914 - 1918" as part of the "Unlock the Past" series. It is Avaibale for $14.95 (from memory) on the Gould Genealogy website.

• 4 months later...

Andrew,

Do you have the war diaries/history for the 38th Battalion for July 1917 in the Rue du Bois sector, specifically any information on the night of the 23rd July 1917.

I am attempting to cross reference an incident of a mustard gas attack that wounded my Grandfather.

regards

Graham

Andrew,

Do you have the war diaries/history for the 38th Battalion for July 1917 in the Rue du Bois sector, specifically any information on the night of the 23rd July 1917.

I am attempting to cross reference an incident of a mustard gas attack that wounded my Grandfather.

regards

Graham

Graham - you'll find the 38th Bn War Diaries here: http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/AWM4/23/55/

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

many thanks for the link, I love the way both Canadian & Australian governments publish for free the war diaries, NA could learn a lot from these sites.

once again thanks

Graham

I picked up a copy of the 55th Battalion book "Snowy to the Somme" today from Dymocks with a discount for $24.00. Seems very good value for a 400 page battalion history.

Now to read it.

Scott