Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield accommodation list

Chris_Baker

Just spent a couple of nights in the Hotel Beatus in Cambrai with Forum pal Stephen Pope (Delta) and others to explore the battlefield. Comfortable, excellent food, reasonable prices and the owner is tank expert Philippe Gorczynski. On top of all that they sent me back a few things I forgot in my room in a senior moment. What more can you want?

http://www.beatus-cambrai.com/en

cheers Martin B

Just a warning for anyone contemplating staying at the Fields of Gold b & b in Ypres. I had to cancel a booking I'd made there, and did so 6 days before scheduled arrival. Their published policy, confirmed when I booked, was no cancellation fee if cancelled 2 days or more ahead of time, so I assumed all was OK. Then received email from the owner, Ms Vandedbussche, claiming that their terms were that any cancellation within 14 days meant whole cost (3 nights in my case) was payable! As "a compromise" she would only charge 1 night, but unless I did a bank transfer for this she threatened to charge my credit card with the 3 night total. I responded politely referring her to her own policy, and she backed down, but with no explanation/apology. Don't know if she was just incompetent, or "trying it on", but suggest anyone thinking of booking gets them to confirm their cancellation policy before handing over a credit card number. Pretty poor behaviour, in my view.

Just a warning for anyone contemplating staying at the Fields of Gold b & b in Ypres. I had to cancel a booking I'd made there, and did so 6 days before scheduled arrival. Their published policy, confirmed when I booked, was no cancellation fee if cancelled 2 days or more ahead of time, so I assumed all was OK. Then received email from the owner, Ms Vandedbussche, claiming that their terms were that any cancellation within 14 days meant whole cost (3 nights in my case) was payable! As "a compromise" she would only charge 1 night, but unless I did a bank transfer for this she threatened to charge my credit card with the 3 night total. I responded politely referring her to her own policy, and she backed down, but with no explanation/apology. Don't know if she was just incompetent, or "trying it on", but suggest anyone thinking of booking gets them to confirm their cancellation policy before handing over a credit card number. Pretty poor behaviour, in my view.

Yes if she had stated it was 48 hrs previous she cannot try and amend that. I am dubious of booking with a card before arrival too.

As I understand this you pay for 1 night if you cancel less than 48 hours before arrival. This is taken from the website terms and conditions.

Hereby conditions and cancellation policy.

The applied amounts en percentages are to be paid by the guest.

Special conditions are prior to the main cancellation conditions when applied.

Main conditions and policy (Individual booking)

•Less than 48 hrs before date of arrival: first night

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Trying to find the website for Clarges House in Longueval but it seems to have disappeared from Google! Is the place still trading?

Thank you,

Roger

How odd! No record of Clarges, Longueval on Trip Advisor and on Facebook there is a page but it seems to have a Northern Irish guy yelling about something last October!

Thank you, just had a look on the Facebook page and finally found a link to their website but is dead. When I drove past in late October I'm sure the sign was still up outside.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite place on the Somme:

www.beaumonthamelview.com

+44 (0) 7971 453131

Dave and Anita Platt, fantastic couple.

The B&B is excellent and I love the fact that you walk out of the front door and are immediately on the Old Beaumont Road.

Also great for Motorbike tours and tours in Dave's ex Mod Landrover.

I am going for the 3rd time in a fortnight.

Best wishes

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Trying to find the website for Clarges House in Longueval but it seems to have disappeared from Google! Is the place still trading?

Thank you,

Roger

Try this...............

http://www.clargeshouse.com/

regards

Tom

Thank you Tom,

Must have been off line for a few days while I was looking! Glad to see it back up as we had a great week there a few years ago!

Roger

Ok Roger, it's one I've used a few times and hope to again in the near future......a most comfortable billet...!!

regards

Tom

Self-catering

"Zeninpicardie"

Fossemanant (nr Amiens)

+33 (0) 6 50 37 78 30

reservations@ zeninpicardie.com

http://www.zeninpicardie.com

Craig & Celine McDonald

We usually stay at the gite at Mesnil-Martinsart, the Ibis hotel at Albert or the Royal Picardy. I enjoyed my stays at all these places.This year however, we are trying somewhere new. It is near Aras, so a bit further from the Thiepval area than usual for us. it is a room in a chateau which I believe had some connection with World War 1. Chateau de Couin.
http://www.chateaudecouin.com

• Admin

Looks fabulous, if only I could afford it! There are two cemeteries in the village.

Michelle

Looks fabulous, if only I could afford it! There are two cemeteries in the village.

Michelle

It's more than I'd usually pay but we are only staying 5 nights and it looks very atmospheric. I didn't know there were cemeteries in Couin. I must visit those. Thanks for that. I have concentrated very much on the battlefields near Albert and near Ieper until now and now I'd like to have a look at other areas where fighting took place.

• Admin

In fact there is a casualty buried in the Communal cemetery as well. The Chateau was used as a Divisional HQ from 1915-1918.

Michelle

In fact there is a casualty buried in the Communal cemetery as well. The Chateau was used as a Divisional HQ from 1915-1918.

Michelle

Yes I see that. An Australian. Apparently it was used by the French too, before that. Amazing that it survived .

I recommend Peter Smith's B&B in Flers. Excellent accommodation, food and conversation. No connection apart from I have stayed there for the last four years.

Peter Smith & Sara Azzopardi
Otago view
48 rue Principale
Flers
80360 Somme France

Telephone: 0033 3 22 85 47 23
Email: petesmith@hotmail.fr

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Highly recommend this place 2km from Bailleul on the road to Neuve-Eglise

http://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Bailleul-Chambre-d-hotes-Cote-Cour,-Cote-Jardin-59G1000.html

Michelle

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

you are visiting "the forgotten front", around Béthune, do not miss this very good address !

http://www.julugo.com/ two restaurants at Essars and Richebourg (la rouge croix).

Big parks for buses ! just contact few days before.

Very good fresh "régional" food and also very good... biers.

Interpreter possible on place.

Cheers

Michel

If you need more informations, please PM me.

Michel

Never mind sleeping in comfortable beds the only way is to camp

On this holy ground for the British ie wipers ,it's even better if it rains a little

Especially on clatter soil plus it's a lot cheaper mmm smell that mud mike.

Never mind sleeping in comfortable beds the only way is to camp

On this holy ground for the British ie wipers ,it's even better if it rains a little

Especially on clatter soil plus it's a lot cheaper mmm smell that mud mike.

I don't think there's many 'happy campers' on the forum, but I completely agree. You can't beat it. Some cracking campsites in the area as well (the Velodrome in Albert being a favourite of mine).

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent a couple of days in Ypres and stayed at a super new B&B in Zandvoorde. It's not far from Ypres and very handy for the eastern battlefield. The owners (Dieter & Sofie) are very helpful. The accommodation comprises two family suites, each with one double and one twin room. There is a shared kitchen/dining/lounge area and a fabulously stocked honesty bar/fridge. Parking is very nearby on the town square and is free. Importantly their rates are very reasonable, particularly when compared with town-centre prices. Breakfast is huge. Because both Dieter and Sophie work, breakfast is laid out before 08.00am (and may be laid out at a time of your choosing prior to that).

This would particularly suit families (there was another family staying there at the same time as us) or a larger touring group. Highly recommended.

http://www.bbkunstmin.be/en/home

Edited to add that the stairs to the bedrooms are steep and might not suit those with difficulties climbing stairs.

Nick