The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield accommodation list

Chris_Baker

• Admin

http://www.gites-de-...3.1.4509.H.html

or

http://www.gites-de-...3.1.4322.H.html

Second one has a kitchen so you can prepare your own meals-or they provide evening meals, I have my eye on this one for Summer. Not too far from Le Quesnoy

Michelle

In the Ieper area we always stay at De Klaproos. Next to Tyne Cot, 10 mins drive to Ieper, free onsite parking. Also has free Wifi. Two bedroom appartment, B&B or self catering. Got to be the friendliest hosts in the area, nothing is too much trouble.

Address Tynecotstraat 26. Tel 3251778753 or32494065626.

Web www.deklaproos.com.

Also for gluten intolerant guests, the bakery in Passendale has gluten free bread and cakes. The proprietor is gluten intolerant herself

just returned from the somme - we stayed in the Hayloft which is self catering at the below connection

www.orchardfarmsomme.com/

its very comfortable & Martin & Kate are very friendly, Martin is also very knowledgeable about the area and is more than willing for you to pick his brain for info.

its in Combles which is very close to Delville/High wood.

• Admin

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to mention the Silent Picket b&b in Martinpuich.

Jennie & John made us feel very welcome on our first visit to Picardy!

Comfortable rooms, a beautiful quiet and ideal central location and fantastic cooking(!) made up for an extremely memorable stay.

Fantastic collection of books to browse through as well ;)

• Admin

Just booked here for September

http://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Loos-en-Gohelle-Gite-Fleur-De-Ciel-,gites62_b2013.1.G1362.G.html/site-proprietaire

Looks a really nice place and very handy for the Loos battlefield!

Michelle

Good evening,

Last year we stayed at Battery Valley B and B (Somme area), and found the owners and the accomodation brilliant.The owners are young couple who speak very good English, the accomodation is on a working on a dairy farm, and all home made food and produce.

Regards Andy.

Good evening,

Last year we stayed at Battery Valley B and B (Somme area), and found the owners and the accomodation brilliant.The owners are young couple who speak very good English, the accomodation is on a working on a dairy farm, and all home made food and produce.

Regards Andy.

I can confirm Andy's compliments, nice people, good breakfast and great self-cooking facilities. A bit hard to find in the dark though, look for a big green gate.

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

• 2 weeks later...

The Somme

The best place on The Somme. I have stayed all over but after finding this would now not stay anywhere else.

Battery Valley Farm

9 Rue de Beaucourt

80300 Grandcourt

Mireille et Frederic Sangier

e-mail f.saingier@orange.fr Tel 0322747848

Excellent cooked breakfast of ham and eggs. Just 4 km from Thiepval. Five en-suite bedrooms and use of lounge and kitchen for exclusive use of guests. Mireille and Frederic speak very good English and they both go out of their way to make your stay very enjoyable.

I'm going on a battlefield tour next week, and I'm looking for information on two of the hotels that the tour will be staying at. So, does anyone know anything about the Van der Valk Hotel, Brussels Airport and the Ibis St Omer Centre Hotel, please? Thank you.

Have stayed several times in St.Omer--typically Ibis Hotel-clean and functional--town square is excellent -lots of places to eat. Have always enjoyed.

I'm going on a battlefield tour next week, and I'm looking for information on two of the hotels that the tour will be staying at. So, does anyone know anything about the Van der Valk Hotel, Brussels Airport and the Ibis St Omer Centre Hotel, please? Thank you.

Zaventem? Bit far from the action so I guess you have an early or late flight. I never stayed at Van der Valk. As for Ibis St Omer all Ibis are identical so it will be the same as Ibis I stayed in Portsmouth!

Have stayed several times in St.Omer--typically Ibis Hotel-clean and functional--town square is excellent -lots of places to eat. Have always enjoyed.
Thanks - that's good to know, as we'll be looking for somewhere to eat.
Zaventem? Bit far from the action so I guess you have an early or late flight. I never stayed at Van der Valk. As for Ibis St Omer all Ibis are identical so it will be the same as Ibis I stayed in Portsmouth!
Thanks - it's the hotel en-route from the ferry to the Netherlands, but it looks okay (in fact, pretty good!) from their web site. Regarding the Ibis, I've stayed in quite a few of the chain in various places, and they are much the same.

• 3 weeks later...

SOMME

Accommodation Name - Butterworth Farm

Postal address - Butterworth Farm, Route de Bazentin, Chemin George Butterworth, 80300 Pozieres

Phone number - +33 3 22 74 04 47 mobile 06 22 30 28 02

Email address - contact@butterworth-cottage.com

Website URL - www.butterworth-farm.com

Name of proprietor(s) - Bernard & Marie Delattre

• 4 weeks later...

A vote for a self catering Ypres town centre three storey house that can sleep a max of 10 people...Le Chat Noir.....Run by Alan and Caroline who both have excellent English...Link here:

http://www.lechatnoir.be

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for self catering accommodation on the Chemin Des Dames? We spent a fantastic week in this beautiful gite.

http://www.gites-de-france-aisne.com/fiche-160.html?ori=CRTPIC

Book through gites de france.

I'm visiting the Somme battlefields for the first time between Xmas and New Year and staying at Le Domaine de la Butte at Le Sars on the Bapaume to Albert road.Has anyone stayed there.

Should mention this place as we stayed in it week before last on the way to the Somme. So a staging post, perhaps. It is just north of the main road between Hesdin and St Pol. About an hour from the Tunnel. Not cheap I will admit and we spoiled ourselves by booking what turned out to be the largest bedroom I have ever stayed in (25 m. long). There is a restaurant which is pretty decent too. Place is called La Cour de Remi and is in a little village called Bermicourt. The rooms/restaurant are in two barn conversions next to the main chateau. A good place to treat a partner who is otherwise not too bothered about WW1 sites.

The main chateau is of interest as it was the HQ of the Tank Corps 1916-18 and there is a small bronze replica tank with a plaque out in the car park. The owners live in the chateau and it is not open to the public. Excellent English spoken.

Details here: http://www.lacourderemi.com/

• Admin

http://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Loos-en-Gohelle-Gite-Fleur-De-Ciel-,gites62_b2013.1.G1362.G.html/site-proprietaire

Superb place to stay at Loos, just spent a week there. Very comfy, nice owners and shops in the village a couple of minutes walk away.

Michelle

• 4 weeks later...

A suggestion that may have already been made, but would it be possible for this to be split into separate threads which serve the respective 'regions' of The Western Front?

At the moment it is very confusing.

I stayed in the Best Western Hotel Alize in Mouscron over the weekend a couple of weeks ago.

It's fairly standard, but clean, comfortable and well placed - just off the Grand Place. I have no idea what it costs for an ordinary visitor, as I was part of a tour, but I would guess that it's pretty reasonable.

I ate in a small Italian restuarant a few doors away from the hotel called "La Dolce Vita", which is just off the Grand Place. It's a nice place, two courses for about 20 euros, a good welcome - I went there twice, so it must be good!

:)