Patron: Patrick Verschuren

Domaine de la Butte

41 Route Nationale

62450, Le Sars

France

Tel 0(0) 321 16 81 53 fixed line phone

Tel 0(0)660 833826 mobile

Email contact@domaine de la butte.fr

I stayed Bellevue Campsite over the weekend, and thought I'd write a quick review in case anyone's thinking of staying there.

If you're driving up towards Thiepval, it's in the middle of Authuille on the right hand side before the Church. It's a small site, a mixture of permanent mobile homes and pitches. Pitches are well seperated with hedges, hook ups are available on most of them. There's a central block with toilets (no paper!), a shower, a small washing up area and laundry facilities. There's a really small play area in the middle of the site. The nearest decent shop is Albert (the Super U is open Sunday mornings), - there's nothing really in Authuille. The chap who runs it is very friendly - not sure if he speaks English but he was perfectly happy to listen to me speaking (bad) French. 2* is about right

Pros

Cheap - 1 man & 1 tent 11 euros a night

Ideally located for exploring the Thiepval area

Cons

No restaurant - looks like it's been closed for a while, and not reopening any time soon

Shower block etc is perfectly serviceable, but a bit tired

Damien

Ypres

Novotel Leper Centrum Flanders Fields

Sint Jacobstraat 15

Leper

Ypres 8900

Tel (32) 57/429600

E-Mail: H1372@accor.com

I have just returned from four nights there .... an excellent hotel, much recommended!

Stayed at Les Galets last weekend - camping though, not in the guest house.

It's run by Avril's sister, June. In terms of a campsite, it's fairly basic! It's her front garden basically. The facilities are limited to a small block with a toilet and shower (just next to two rusted Ford Capris). There's no hookups, or any other facilities beyond bins. I was only there for a night, and was the only one there, but it suited me down to the ground. Might not be everyone's cup of tea though because of the facilities.

That said, it was only 5 euro!

• 2 weeks later...

Gite de la Fontaine

44 bis rue du Monument

62173 Riviere

Pas-de-Calais

03-21-71-58-39

www.gitesderiviere.fr

Just a couple of minutes' drive from the N25, and not far from Arras, this 3-bed, fully equipped gite offers secure parking, free WiFi and comfortable accommodation. We have just returned from a three-night stay, using it as a base to visit several CWGC cemeteries. We booked it through AirBnB, which added a small booking charge to the low nightly rate; however, that was a small price to pay in order to have a self-catering base for less than one week. Mr & Mrs Bourdrel (the owners) live on site in a completely separate house. Apart from welcoming us, we rarely caught a glimpse ... although they were happy to deal with enquiries etc at any time. The gite also provides bicycles; given the time, we would have enjoyed cycling in the area ... but we were far too busy researching! The village has a bakery, post office, church and park; there are a few shops in the nearby village of Beaumetz-sur-Loges, with shops galore on the outskirts of Arras. In short, this gave us comfortable and independent accommodation in an excellent location at a good rate.

Hi all. Just booking a Flanders trip for later. Staying at MUSCARI B&B down near Wijtschate. Has anyone been to this b&b ? It is very inexpensive E60 a night double inc. breccy. I know its out in the sticks. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards all.

• 1 month later...

For those who wish to have more to do in the evening...how about Amiens, it's only a short drive from the battlefields and have a look at this properties situation close to the Cathederal.......

http://en.gites-de-france.com/holiday-rentals-Amiens-City-Break-Le-Bourdon-80G201317.html

regards

Tom

I wouldn't go to Avril Williams place if you paid me. Overpriced,and the "'but you get the ambience"' doesn't cut it.

I wouldn't go to Avril Williams place if you paid me. Overpriced,and the "'but you get the ambience"' doesn't cut it.

HOTEL IN CASSEL,

Cassel is a beautiful little town at the top of Mont Cassel. Generals Foch and French had their headquarters there and there is an equestrian statue of Foch. The hotel we stayed at is in the Grand'Place on the North side. It is Hotel Le Foch with a charming and cheerful hostess, Nathalie. She has a great sense of humour. The rooms are large and very clean, some with a view of the Grand'Place. www.hotel-foch.net , hotel-foch2@wanadoo.fr. Tel. 03 28 42 47 73. Restaurant closed on Friday and Sunday night. .

Cassel is ten miles from the Belgian Border , 20 miles from Poperinge.

Highly recommended!

Fred

Big thumbs-up from me for the Ibis Styles Hotel at Bruay-la-Buissiere. Not the kind of place I normally seek for a battlefield tour as I like being in a town centre where I can have an explore and find a bar and restaurant or two - but I have to say this was great. Bruay is handily placed for Loos, Neuve Chapelle, Vimy and that kind of area. It is only about 5 minutes off the motorway (J6 on the A26 at Fouquieres-les-Bethune). A very modern budget hotel, but possibly the best bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. It has a bar but no restaurant - but is on a commercial/shopping complex that has lots. Next door is "Les 3 Brasseurs" which brews its own (very good) beer and has a great menu. Well worth considering if you are in that area.

Ypres, B&B Ter Vesten.

What a wonderful B&B. Hostess Magda Vandenbroucke makes the best breakfast I've ever tasted. Twenty sorts of jam and marmalade, bacon and eggs, cereals, etc. Great big rooms with the latest gadgets and a garden to sit in. Not far from the Grand'Place and the Lille Gate. And all that at a modest price.

www.bbtervesten.be , magda.vandenbroucke@telenet.be

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Re #209

HOTEL IN CASSEL

When Nathalie & Luc Broussart send you a mail, you will probably not see that it is from their hotel. You see 'Luc Broussart' . That is why at first I deleted it, until I saw 'Luc Broussart, hotel, Cassel'. Read on!

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

just spent 3 nights at http://www.bedandbreakfastnorthernfrance.com/

Jim and Liz are very friendly, situated just in Aubrometz 20 mins from Hesdin. only a couple of rooms, good enough for short stays full size bathroom, comfortable bed and breakfast included for 75 euro a night for 3 beds of 55 for the twin room. towels included .easy to get to ,tv in room , free Wi-Fi access,with tea and coffee facility and hairdryer, English speaking will also take pets. price is per room.

only minor down point is if you want nightlife its quiet. suited us after a lot of walking. nearest cemetery is in the next village

• 1 month later...

Back from our trip, we had discovered farm B and Bs in Ireland by chance, and tend to choose them now whenever possible.

Enroute from Italy to the Somme about 20 minutes from Beauvais we had one night, ideal if you arrive late and early start for the Somme

Aux Trois Bouleaux

Montreuil sur Breche

We then spent 2 nights at

Battery Valley farm,

Grandcourt

This was perfect for evening twilight drives round Beaumont Hamel and Thiepval, then day trips far and wide and not too far to eat in Albert and la Boiselle

On to Normandy and stayed at

La Discrete

Cairon

Well placed to visit the Normandy beaches and Bayeaux

Our last B and B was Varlet Farm, well known on the forum and lived up to all expectations

In Berlin we stayed at the Mani Hotel in Torstrasse, Mitte, well placed to explore the city, walking , cycling and train, with very interesting restaurants all walking distance.

Cheers

Shirley

Back from our trip, we had discovered farm B and Bs in Ireland by chance, and tend to choose them now whenever possible.

Enroute from Italy to the Somme about 20 minutes from Beauvais we had one night, ideal if you arrive late and early start for the Somme

Aux Trois Bouleaux

Montreuil sur Breche

We then spent 2 nights at

Battery Valley farm,

Grandcourt

This was perfect for evening twilight drives round Beaumont Hamel and Thiepval, then day trips far and wide and not too far to eat in Albert and la Boiselle

On to Normandy and stayed at

La Discrete

Cairon

Well placed to visit the Normandy beaches and Bayeaux

Our last B and B was Varlet Farm, well known on the forum and lived up to all expectations

In Berlin we stayed at the Mani Hotel in Torstrasse, Mitte, well placed to explore the city, walking , cycling and train, with very interesting restaurants all walking distance.

Cheers

Shirley

Glad you are all back home safe Shirley, we stayed at Battery Valley on our last day and I was telling Mireille how I first met you and Chris.

Hope to see you next April

Peter

For anybody who is looking for self-catering accommodation on The Somme, I would thoroughly recommend this property at Eclusier-Vaux, in the Somme valley, just 3km from the old frontline. The house is a detached, private residence with its own parking and river frontage and huge picture windows leading to a large first-floor terrace overlooking the river and lake. The owners, Aurelie and Francois, are pleasant and straight-forward to deal with and speak English.

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p6166206

Glad you are all back home safe Shirley, we stayed at Battery Valley on our last day and I was telling Mireille how I first met you and Chris.

Hope to see you next April

Peter

Will be good to see you, we really enjoyed our stay at Battery Valley Farm

Cheers

Shirley

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to give feedback on my recent (October '14) stay at Number 56 Bed & Breakfast, located on the Albert-Bapaume road in La Boiselle village.

The hosts, David & Julie, offer a warm welcome and a comfortable stay. The rooms are pleasant and well-appointed with views over the Somme countryside towards Thiepval or the (now) peaceful church in the village of La Boiselle. All rooms are en-suite with a decent shower, complimentary toiletries and hot drinks facilities. As a solo traveller, the optional communal meals were an added bonus: Julie's cooking and the couple's relaxed hospitality are to be commended. In the conviviality of good company, wine and food around the table, remembering that we were gathered on the old German frontline (which GPS co-ordinates confirm ran through the living and dining room of the house, I believe) added an extra dimension to the experience. In addition, David's mini-tour of nearby WW1 sites, was an inspiring revelation. However much you may read and research the First World War, the experience of a knowledgeable narrator explaining the circumstances of those events 100 years ago, really does bring the event to life. Thoroughly recommend for solo travellers and they offer rooms suitable for groups and families as well.

http://www.number56.co.uk/

Edited for typos only! Shocking..

Guest Jon Dowrick

Highly recommend this place 2km from Bailleul on the road to Neuve-Eglise

http://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Bailleul-Chambre-d-hotes-Cote-Cour,-Cote-Jardin-59G1000.html

Michelle

Have to agree with you Michelle, superb accommodation and a great welcome. We didn't eat there (apart from breakfast) as we went to the Menin Gate ceremony...Ypres is only 20 mins away, Messines and Plugstreet only 10.

• Admin

Have stayed there twice now, had the twin room downstairs first time as my husband was on crutches. Last time we stayed in the Chambre Babulette

Michelle

Ypres, B&B Ter Vesten.

What a wonderful B&B. Hostess Magda Vandenbroucke makes the best breakfast I've ever tasted. Twenty sorts of jam and marmalade, bacon and eggs, cereals, etc. Great big rooms with the latest gadgets and a garden to sit in. Not far from the Grand'Place and the Lille Gate. And all that at a modest price.

www.bbtervesten.be , magda.vandenbroucke@telenet.be

Fred

I'm afraid my Flemish is not up to their website - and google translate is far from ideal - but I can't see anything about parking. Is there parking available?

I'm afraid my Flemish is not up to their website - and google translate is far from ideal - but I can't see anything about parking. Is there parking available?

It does not say! Try Google search and type in the name plus parking?

• 2 months later...

Looking for a child friendly (3 under 3) Villa around Bapaume/Albert for a week or so in mid July.

Any recommendations?

Tim D