Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield accommodation list

Chris_Baker

I'm most surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Talbot House at Poperinge, which I can unreservedly recommend: the warm welcome and cup of tea sets the tone.

I have been travelling the Salient and Somme areas for some time now, and I know of no more atmospheric place to stay (those who have sat in the garden will know what I mean). The lone traveller can still be subject to rip-off in Belgium and France - see the prices for Ieper and Albert - but I stopped off again for two nights earlier this month at Talbot House for 28 euros a night, in my own twin-bedded room. Admittedly, it seems that they have dropped the 'brought-in' breakfast option, but it is only a minute to the Spar shop on the corner of the square for the necessaries.

Early booking is essential - I booked in mid-March and got the last available room for the 1st of June. - <info@talbothouse.be>

John

• 2 weeks later...

Cherry Blossom B&B

Grote Branderstraat 30

8908 Vlamertinge (Brandhoek)

Ieper

Belgium

0032 (0)57 301555

0032 (0)472347694

liz@cherryblossom.be

www.cherryblossom.be

Free Wifi

Evenings Meals upon request

Bar

Garden

10 mins from Ieper and 5 mins from Poperinghe.

• 2 weeks later...

Ypres.

Ariane Hotel and Restaurant

Slachthuisstraat 58

8900 leper, Belgium

www.ariane.be

info@ariane.be

Tel: +32 57 218 218

Nice if with partner.

• 3 weeks later...

Somme Area

Maison Picardie

23 rue du General Leclerc

80560 Mailly-Maillet

We went in June 2010 via Welcome Cottages, but we booked another week via www.gites-de-france.com (Gite Ref G95018) and saved money. Sleeps 5 in 2 bedrooms; spacious old property and even more spacious - and fully enclosed - garden (ideal for our dog). Off-street totally secure parking. Great base for exploring the Somme, especially Serre, Beaumont-Hamel and Thiepval - although everything is within a short drive. Mailly-Maillet was one of the fortified villages behind the 1st July 1916 front line; it has two CWGC cemeteries. Quiet village, but it has a baker, butcher, chemist, vet and bar.

Jane

• 4 weeks later...

...and when on the Somme...

Camping Bellvue

80300 Authuille,

France.

Tel: + 33 3 22 74 59 29.

Fax: +33 3 22 74 05 14.

Though my usual stay for the past few years (though not this year - roadworks has made access near impossible!) has been...

Camping du Port de Plaisance

Route de Paris

80200 PÉRONNE

Tél. : (33) 03 22 84 19 31

Fax : (33) 03 22 73 36 37

...ideal for the Chemin des Dames....

Camping la Pointe

5 Rue de Moulins

02160 Bourg-et-Comin

(A little basic (but very reasonably priced with indoor swimming pool if needed!)

Tel: + 33 (0)323258752

Fax: + 33 (0)323250602

...for the lower Vosges...

Camping Les Acacias

Rue rené Guibert

68700 CERNAY

Tel : 03-89-75-56-97

Fax : 03-89-39-72-29

...for the St.Quentin area...

CAMPING LE VIVIER AUX CARPES

10 rue Charles Voyeux

02790 - SERAUCOURT-LE-GRAND

Phone : 03 23 60 50 10

E-mail : camping.du.vivier@wanadoo.fr

I am often asked about the best places to stay in France and there are quite a few enquiries on here. I have limited experience of B&B's, before we bought our property we only ever regularly stayed at one establishment each in Belgium or France. Getting to my point, I was pointed to a site where you could comment on your stay in specific B&B's or hotels. Now its a well known fact that people are more likely to put pen to paper when they are unhappy with a service, so to get a balanced view, can I ask, if you have enjoyed your stay then please leave a positive or neutral comment on these sites (of course continue to leave negatives if you haven't, but even some constructive criticism would be useful I'm sure).

I was pointed to a site where you could comment on your stay in specific B&B's or hotels.

Assuming that's TripAdvisor, then I regard it as invaluable when travelling both in the UK and across the world.

Whilst it's correct that folk who are moved to post are ones who have had a particularly good, or particularly bad, experience, it all helps to build a picture. I work to the assumption that, for instance, if it's choice between two places - one consistently praised and the other with mixed reports - I'm better off picking the former. As with any review (hotel, restaurant, whatever), you can of course only comment on your own experience and from your own standards about what is "good".

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a weekend here while visiting Loos for the 95th anniversary, and can very much recommend it. Comfortable rooms at 55 euros a night, good food -- menu a bit

limited but not unimaginative -- and friendly hosts. Ideally placed for a number of battlefields, including Mons, Le Cateau and Cambrai, as well as Loos and other 1915 actions. Also plenty of other things to do

and places to visit in the area

cheers Martin B

• Admin

Stayed in a huge rented room in Lens for 3 nights 30€ a night for a room with bed, living area kitchen and bathroom

contact Madame Nadine Bernard

16 Rue Delattre

62300 Lens

Tel 03 21 78 46 89

bn62@orange.fr

I was pointed to a site where you could comment on your stay in specific B&B's or hotels. Now its a well known fact that people are more likely to put pen to paper when they are unhappy with a service, so to get a balanced view, can I ask, if you have enjoyed your stay then please leave a positive or neutral comment on these sites (of course continue to leave negatives if you haven't, but even some constructive criticism would be useful I'm sure).

I too find TripAdvisor invaluable when traveling. Actually a slight criticism I have is that reviews are on the too positive side rather than too many disgruntled punters.

I have written a lot of reviews myself ranging from 1 to 5 on their scale of 5.

I can in all honesty recommend the site to anyone visiting battlefields (or indeed just visiting)

• 2 months later...

for Arras and The Somme (30 minute drive)I use the good old Formule 1 at Tilloy. There are several good walks from the hotel. For Chemin des Dames and the Aisne area, try Camping du Moulin, Rue du Moulin, Aizelles.

http://www.camping-du-moulin.fr/page3.php?view=thumbnailList&category=2

There is a very nice gite - I think she lets it out for long term let during the winter, though.

• 2 months later...

De Akkerwinde B & B

Patrick and Fanny

Zonnebeke

+32 478 50 03 57

www.deakkerwinde.be

This B & B is great, reasonably priced and is just down the lane from Polygon Wood, a lovely five minute walk. The hosts are friendly and accommodating and the rooms are nice. I arrived there late at night with an elderly WWII veteran last September/10 and they laid out a meal for us which was 'above and beyond' at that hour. They have a great breakfast and the option of an evening meal if one chooses.

Bonfire

• 2 weeks later...

De Akkerwinde B & B

>><<

I have added them to my accommodation map. Additions, Corrections and comments always welcome (PM me)

David

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

B&B, 20 Rue de la Croix Barbet, 62136, Richebourg, 2 rooms with shower aand toilet. TV and telephone in each room. Free wifi. Kitchen and dining room for guests use.

Benoit and Jacqueline Blondiaux-Prins, tel 00333 21 26 04 95

I'm here now and having a great time!

Michelle

Can anyone recommend anything in Peronne? Trip Advisor feedback generally cans the majority.

Len

Len please don't take much notice of Trip Advisor, there seem to be quite a lot of hobby critics practising their craft.

Hello Len,

Four or five years ago I found a grand local hotel at the old gare. I can't remember the name of the street - probably Rue de Gare - but it was off to the right just before entering the main street, coming from the south (I had cycled from Cappy and Herbercourt, turning left to enter Peronne on the N17, the road from Roye).

I can recommend it (if it still exists, as these small local hotels seem to be disappearing fast in France), but it was not a 'tourist' place.

John

Can anyone recommend anything in Peronne? Trip Advisor feedback generally cans the majority.

Len

• 4 weeks later...

can certainly recommend this newly opened B&B in Zonnebeke, Ieper 10 mins away.

ACCOMODATION NAME - B&B AMARYLLIS

ADDRESS - 89 LANGEMARKSTRAAT, ZONNEBEKE

PHONE NUMBER - 0032(0)51 62 49 63

E-MAIL ADDRESS - andre.parys@hotmail.com

owner - ANDRE PARYS

Gary.