Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield accommodation list

Chris_Baker

This might be of intrest to any visitors to Albert. We have just come back from our holiday in France and I managed to squeeze in 2 nights in Albert at the Ibis Hotel. It is quite a new one and we paid €120 for the 2 nights room only (booked and paid for 21 days in advance). The hotel was clean and the staff friendly albeit quite informal at times, we only ate at the hotel for one evening meal and it was bistro style basically posh burgers/steaks etc it's not that cheap for 2 mains/puds bottle cheapish wine couple of coffees at €60. The hotel is well positioned for the Somme area, we had a room at the back which looked straight out over Tara Hill and was a great base for the days touring and with all my required sights within such close proximity it was possible to pop back to the hotel if required during the day. Recomended for a reasonable clean and while we were there quiet stay.

Eating out recently I have noticed a rise in the price of drinks for instance at La Paix, 4.50 for 25cls Leffe!

Though my usual stay for the past few years (though not this year - roadworks has made access near impossible!) has been...

Camping du Port de Plaisance

Route de Paris

80200 PÉRONNE

Tél. : (33) 03 22 84 19 31

Fax : (33) 03 22 73 36 37

Funnily enough I took a ride round that on Friday Dave, when I was stopping at the local Campanile up the road, I like its proximity to the water.

Tom

De Akkerwinde B & B

Patrick and Fanny

Zonnebeke

+32 478 50 03 57

www.deakkerwinde.be

This B & B is great, reasonably priced and is just down the lane from Polygon Wood, a lovely five minute walk. The hosts are friendly and accommodating and the rooms are nice. I arrived there late at night with an elderly WWII veteran last September/10 and they laid out a meal for us which was 'above and beyond' at that hour. They have a great breakfast and the option of an evening meal if one chooses.

Bonfire

my wife and i have booked this B&B in september....anyother info on it would be great

regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Artois

http://www.laubaine.fr/index.htm

We had Les Feux Du Bivouac room, fantastic shower and a great breakfast

• Admin

All the 4 above had an area where we could prepare and cook our own food.We did not want to go out again after a day on the motorbike so we got some food in charcutieries and supermarkets to have in the evning. We also found our tank bag could carry a six pack of beer!

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these Michelle the information is appreciated, and we have booked a week in September.

ps We have just stayed 4 nights at http://www.laubaine.fr/index.htm We agree with Michelle this is a good place to stay and the shower is good. Breakfast is traditional French not a typical English. The kitchen/diner which divides the two bedrooms has a microwave and a 2 ring gas stove top which is very handy for cooking a simple meal etc.

Rycroft

Remembering H Wilkinson 8th East Lancs. W Spencer Northumberland Fusiliers. H Veevers 11th East Lancs

• 1 month later...

One address on the Somme:

Les Bieffes

Madame Paulette Pécourt

27 rue Pierre Lefebvre

80560 Mailly-Maillet

Phone: 03 22 76 21 44

This one is unmissable as the old house is the first one on the right on entering M-M from the Serre Road clutch of cemeteries. Ivy-covered facade with flags flying. During the war, the house was right behind the lines and served as a dressing station. Rooms with real comfy old-style beds and all amenities. Welcome drink on arrival. Well-patronized by Brits, Aussies, Canucks and French despite the fact that Paulette doesn't have English ... Breakfast included.

And in the Pas-de-Calais:

La Maison de Marie

Marie Vidaillac

95 rue René Cassin

62930 Wimereux

Phone: 03 21 32 44 64

Two very lovely rooms with brekky included. Great welcome. The house is a stone's throw from Wimereux Communal Cemetery. It's also a good base for nearby Boulogne, Etaples and further afield. Highly recommended.

Halibag3

• Admin

Rycroft,

Very glad that you had a good stay at Wanquetin, we had 2 nights there and would definitely go back. Which room did you have?

Michelle

In central "Wipers".

Accommodation Name; Ambrosia Hotel

Postal address; D'Hondtstraat 54, 8900 Ieper, Belgium

Phone number if known; 0032 476 467 016

Email address if known; info@ambrosiahotel.be

Website URL if known; http://www.ambrosiahotel.be

Cheap and cheerful with a cooked breakast if wanted, just off the Grote Markt. Stayed there in July 2011, immaculately kept.

Free WiFi and an online computer in the reception area.

Formerly the "Shell hole" (I think).

• Admin

Cuinchy

Au Relais d'Artois

http://au-relais-d-artois.over-blog.com/

We had gite Jamaica

Good breakfast and comfy room, reasonably priced too. The owner has 2 great danes so you have to be OK with dogs

Michelle

we found Bailleul a handy base for visiting Ypres, Pop and surrounds; also Frommelles, Messines, Plug Street; Hazebrouck, Saint-Omer, etc ... this B&B was excellent, great breakfast, beautiful house in the middle of a small town with local restaurants handy

Les Chambres de Mélusine, Bailleul

18 rue d'Ypres 59270 BAILLEUL

http://chambrehote.bailleul.free.fr/site_anglais/index.htm

fcallens.lenancker@orange.fr

• 1 month later...

While this hotel had been mentioned at the start of this thread it dates from four years ago:

Hotel Diamant. (Small Family Hotel - No Lift).

5. Place des Heroes

62000 Arras

France.

Tel 03 21 71 23 23

Fax 03 21 71 84 13

My wife and I stayed there this summer and I can report that it continues to be an excellent choice for the Arras area.

• 3 weeks later...

Accommodation Name: Muscari Bed & Breakfast

Postal address: Neerwaastenstraat 2 - 8953 Wijtschate (Heuvelland)

Belgium

Phone number if known: 0032(0)57 36 41 63

Email address: muscari2@telenet.be

Website URL if known: www.muscari.be

Name of proprietor(s): Marilyn & Mannix

It's a lovely peaceful place 5 minutes drive from Messines, 15 from Ieper and convenient for Comines too. Also very good value for money.

Chris C

• 2 weeks later...

...and when on the Somme...

Camping Bellvue

80300 Authuille,

France.

Tel: + 33 3 22 74 59 29.

Fax: +33 3 22 74 05 14.

Hi Croonaert, am planning a trip to the Somme 1st of April next year. I found this camp site in the battlefield Europe book La Boisselle, and then found this on the forum, its in the area I am interested in, for this trip. What I need to know is there any car hire in the area, as I will be staying in a 6m motorhome, can I get around ok in this if there is no available car hire? Any advise would be very helpful, thank you.

• 1 month later...

My Mrs and her mate stayed here when they went to the Somme. Run by Christine and Pierre (Christine speaks very good English). Mrs rated it very highly.

Chambres d'hotes L'Amartinierre

Christine & Pierre Pécourt

1 rue de mailly

80560 Courcelles au bois

• 3 months later...

I stay in Ypres quite a bit and have found an absolute gem of a B&B. Called "Ter Vesten" on Arsenaalstraat. Easy to find and less than 10 minutes walk to the Menin Gate/Cloth Hall. The bedrooms are very clean and modern (some en-suite). Tea/coffee making area. Breakfast is excellent and there is a lot of it with plenty of choice of cooked meats, cheese's, bread's, fruit, cerials, preserves, boiled eggs and ... bacon & egg (Belgian version of bacon). The owners, Magda & Marc are great. Price ....... pleasantly inexpensive.

Their web site is;

www.bbtervesten.be

E-mail; magda.vandenbrouk@telenet.be

Tel; 0032 57 21 57 59

I've already booked my dates for the rest of the year.

Location; From the Groat Market, drive towards the Lille Gate. Just before the gate turn right (at the discount butchers). Ter Vesten is on the left just before the tax office.

I have no business interest in this B&B.

Regards

John

John,

Thank you for the tip.

A 'b' was lost in your internetaddress: www.bbtervesten.be.

All the best,

Fred

Sorry, John: my eyes aren't getting any younger. You had the appropriate number of b's in the address. However, you link isn't working and neither is mine.\

Just google for B&B Ter Vesten and you will get the full info.

All the best,

Fred

Thanks Fred.

Just google "B&B Ter Vesten Ypres" or send me a message & I'll contact them

John

Have visited Ypres many times over the years and stayed at most of the hotels there. This time we decided to self cater and stayed here:

http://www.meningatehouse.com/

An absolute gem, located in Hoornwerk, it has stunning views of the Menin Gate from the bedroom windows. There are two self contained apartments, complete with kitchen, lounge and ensuite facilities, one apartment has a small garden as well. Both apartments sleep four people.

The apartments are owned by Benoit Mottrie, Chairman of the Last Post Association, and he is a fantastic host.

Highly recommended.