Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield accommodation list

Chris_Baker

• Admin

Not a villa but a B&B with kitchen area and child friendly with a massive garden with lots of play equipment, Le Clos Du Clocher in Gueudecourt. URL will be a few pages back

Michelle

Not a villa but a B&B with kitchen area and child friendly with a massive garden with lots of play equipment, Le Clos Du Clocher in Gueudecourt. URL will be a few pages back

Michelle

Michelle was kind enough to recommend this place to me.

It is first class !

Big thumbs-up from me for the Ibis Styles Hotel at Bruay-la-Buissiere. Not the kind of place I normally seek for a battlefield tour as I like being in a town centre where I can have an explore and find a bar and restaurant or two - but I have to say this was great. Bruay is handily placed for Loos, Neuve Chapelle, Vimy and that kind of area. It is only about 5 minutes off the motorway (J6 on the A26 at Fouquieres-les-Bethune). A very modern budget hotel, but possibly the best bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. It has a bar but no restaurant - but is on a commercial/shopping complex that has lots. Next door is "Les 3 Brasseurs" which brews its own (very good) beer and has a great menu. Well worth considering if you are in that area.

Would this hotel be suitable for coach party??

Have used Ibis hotels for past 15 years.

Wesley Wright

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

http://www.ferme-montecouvez.com/

Ideal for touring Cambrai and the Hindenburg Line around St Quentin, also good for Le Cateau. We stayed in the gite which was very comfortable. The Chambre d'Hotes next door is also excellent.

http://www.largania.com/visite-des-lieux/

Although not on the battlefields proper,this place is 10 minutes from Cassel and made an ideal overnight stop. The owners, Olivier and Isabelle are very friendly and hospitable. Excellent breakfast too

Michelle

Le Goutdes Hotes

68, rue Lancino - 62153 Ablain Saint Nazaire

+33 03 21 72 56 18

+33 06 77 13 48 43

contact@legoutdeshotes.eu

www.legoutdeshotes.eu

Aurelie et Thierry BAILLEUL

Good location for Arras, Loos, Lens area

Accommodation Name: THE GALLIPOLI HOUSES
Postal address: The Gallipoli Houses, PO Box 10, 17900, Eceabat, Canakkale, TURKEY
Phone number if known: +90-286-814 26 50

Fax number if known: +90-286-814 16 17
Email address if known: talk2us (at) thegallipolihouses.com
Website URL if known: http://www.thegallipolihouses.com/index.html
Name of proprietor(s) if known: Eric & Ozlem Goossens

see also at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g816988-d633884-Reviews-The_Gallipoli_Houses-Eceabat_Canakkale_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Highly recommend "The Dugout" at Ypres. Google it (will add link / details). Excellent value, WW1 artefacts everywhere, Central to all areas especially the Square and Menin Gate. But most of all a perfect host! Secure parking too.

Another one closed - the Coq Hardi, the only 3 star hotel in the centre of Verdun closed two weeks ago. While I didn't like it much it was the only hotel in the city centre which had a lift. Apparently, no one is interested in taking it over, so it joins the long list of hotels in the area that have closed down.

Christina

Another one closed - the Coq Hardi, the only 3 star hotel in the centre of Verdun closed two weeks ago. While I didn't like it much it was the only hotel in the city centre which had a lift. Apparently, no one is interested in taking it over, so it joins the long list of hotels in the area that have closed down.

Christina

Hi Christina, You are a Verdun expert and I wonder if the hotel I stayed at in 2008 is still open? It overlooked the schul (synagogue) and was on the main road from the Gare to town centre. As I left the station I saw a small (one star?) place on the right hand side, then in a small back road (Jail Street?) I stayed at a nice cheap place 1987. Ryanair supposed to be opening an airport at Vitry?

Hi KGB,

That sounds like the Hotel st Paul. It certainly overlooks the synagogue and I think I remember that it is in the Rue du Prison. As far as I know it's still going strong although like all the Verdun hotels it will have difficulty meeting the new norms, which require disabled access to restaurants and rooms.

I haven't heard anything about Ryanair landing at Vitry but if that's Vitry le Francois it's quite some distance from Verdun.

Christina

Hi KGB,

That sounds like the Hotel st Paul. It certainly overlooks the synagogue and I think I remember that it is in the Rue du Prison. As far as I know it's still going strong although like all the Verdun hotels it will have difficulty meeting the new norms, which require disabled access to restaurants and rooms.

I haven't heard anything about Ryanair landing at Vitry but if that's Vitry le Francois it's quite some distance from Verdun.

Christina

Hi Christina, As with all Ryanair it is "near" Vitry, in other words Varennes!

• 4 weeks later...

Any B&Bs recommended in Verdun?

Bruce

Any B&Bs recommended in Verdun?

Bruce

It is not really B&B country. I was on foot so leaving the train station there are 2 cheap hotels, as you get into the town a nice place on the left, overlooking the schul (synagogue), then behind the supermarket a nice little hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Pals

Following a recent discussion on the merits of having a section on the Forum that would-be travellers might find useful for finding battlefield accommodation, I have instead proposed setting up a special section on the Long, Long Trail. This would be an accommodation database that woudl provide basic details, with a facility for those who have stayed there to add comments and opinions.

In order to expedite this, would you please post as replies to this thread the basic details of any accommodation that you know of. It could be a hotel, B&B, guest house, camp site, room above a pub, etc. Please in the first instance stick to France and Flanders. We can go further afield later on.

If someone else has already given details of an accommodation, no need to repeat it unless the details are wrong.

All I need is:

Accommodation Name

Postal address

Phone number if known

Email address if known

Website URL if known

Name of proprietor(s) if known

No comments other than that in this thread, please. Let it remain a simple data-gathering exercise.

I'll develop the first release this / next week and will let you know when it is available.

Is this just for battlefields or would you be interested in the details of a campsite we stayed at while visiting Mont Huon Cemetery near Dieppe?

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice place if you want somewhere to stop off to or from somewhere else further afield. The Hotel le Close de la Prairie in Gouy St Andre between Montreuil and Hesdin. Small converted farmhouse, 8 rooms, but very well appointed. Short but excellent dinner menu and wine list. All food lovingly prepared by the owner who has trained with Michelin-starred chefs. Speaks some English and very pleasant, friendly and hard-working as is his wife. Very highly rated on Tripadvisor and Booking.com. We will go back for more than the one night we stayed this time. Highly recommended.

• Admin

Looks very nice but a bit rich for me! Will be posting my thoughts on two places that I have booked for a forthcoming battlefield visit.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed in La Jolimessine in Jolimetz as recommended by Michelle Young. Very Good. Ideal for Mons and Le Cateau.

www.la-Jolimessine.eu

Local restuarant Le Mormal highly recommended.

Also stayed in La Maison pres de la foret in Silly la Poterie. Excellent. Superb food, comfortable room. Hill top village but central for Aisne to Villers Cotterets.

www.lamaisonpresdelaforet.com

• Admin

http://en.gites-de-france.com/holiday-rentals-Vailly-sur-aisne-Cottage-Au-14-Saint-vincent-02G189.html

Very nice gite well appointed, and very handy for the Aisne and Marne

Michelle

http://en.gites-de-france.com/holiday-rentals-Beaucamps-ligny-Bed-and-breakfast-Chez-Julie-59G2150.html

Nice bed and breakfast handy for the 1915 sector and Fromelles

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

http://www.a-laferme.fr/eng/

Not a gites de France place but pretty good, handy for Villres Brettoneaux and the southern Somme but don't book for the middle of a heatwave as you won't be able to use the bedroom, we had to sleep on a fold out bed downstairs

Michelle

• Admin

http://www.leclosxavianne.fr

Near Cambrai, a very hospitable helpful owner. We had room 1 on the ground floor

Michelle

• 1 month later...

Just back from a four day stop at Varlet Farm, Poelkapelle.

Will defenitely go there again!

Our group (6) all were very happy with all VF has to offer: good sized rooms, comfy beds with very good en suites, great places (landing & outside) to relax and soak up the chilled Belgium beers the family provide you with at very little cost, excellent breakfast and the oppurtunity to make your own lunch.

After settling the bill, all were also very impressed by the cost.

Thanx, Barbara & Dirk.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't trawled far back through this thread, but I can thoroughly recommend the Hotel de la Paix in Bapaume, where I am currently staying!

Handy for the motorway, and for many battlefield areas; spanking new decor and bathrooms; excellent restaurant; charming young staff; good wifi.

Angela

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

http://www.leclosdesch.fr/?lang=en

Handy for an overnight stopover, not too far from the ferry or tunnel and excellent for visiting Boulogne Eastern and Etaples. Good value and an very good breakfast

Michelle

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

http://en.gites-de-france.com/holiday-rentals-Fontaine-les-croisilles-Cottage-62G7622.html

Stayed here last week, very handy for the battlefields east of Bapaume. Very comfortable place and delightful owners who are friendly, and also speak English

Michelle