Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Hi - havent been through all of the thread again but apologise if this has been posted already:

noted on Arts news today that a "rare WW1 play has a stirring revival on Boradway NY" so looked it up and found it is from a book called Journey's End by W. Lawrence - perhaps someone has read this or seen the play in UK - it is set in the trenches, is still called Journey's End.

Also, found a whole list of female poets for WW1 so will be off to look them out.

Lyn

I am reading the Burgoyne Diaries - not sure what to make of them. Were all officers like him? Brutal, arrogant etc. Perhaps they were the world was very different then I think we often forget that when we talk "history"

I am reading The Last Post by Max Arthur.

A very interesting book.

I enjoyed that too-I am a fan of his now

Finally got a copy of Sagitarius Rising - seen mention of this book too many times and thought it about time. First 2 Chapters read in the bath tub this evening ....... impressed ...... cold water forced me back to the Forum.

I finally got my copy from the library for military history:

"The French Desecration of German War Graves at the Somme";

havn't read it yet, just screened the sad sad pictures

Babbington's book about the subject that shall not be mentionned......... :ph34r:

Since beginning this thread I have finished Voices and Images and "The boy in the striped pyjamas" a fictional non WW1 book about a young german boy who has no idea of what the holocaust is and the friendship he forms with a jewish boy at the concentration camp his father runs. Quite a moving story.

Now about to start my birthday present of "the Field of Bones", Phillip Orr, the story of the Irish soldiers at Gallipoli. Has anyone read it?

Dave

Deviating Off Topic slightly,just finished watching DVD of Journeys End...excellent Stuff.

Kindly moderation has been enacted!

I finished my winter accompaniment of Dickens, but having made it to page 830 of 'Bleak House' I found the conclusion disappointing. Having finished that, I took up 'The da Vinci Code' courtesy of Arm, who has promised to lend me the DVD. Wonderful stuff.

Just restarting When endevours fade.1983 version & I have to check mappy all the time for the new routes.

'And the walls came tumbling down' by Jack Fishman.

An account of the WW2 air raid on the Prison in Amiens, a bit of background research for me prior to a visit to the Town in Spring.

regards,

Scottie.

Have just started reading The Diaries of Victor Klemperer 1940-45. A German Jew living in Nazi Germany, very interesting so far (page 39)!

Is it time for some kindly moderator to merge "What are we reading at the moment" with What are we currently reading. I get confused!

Though in my case it perhaps should be re-reading

Lyn Macdonald - They Called it Passchendaele. :rolleyes:

Having just finished Max Egremont's life of Siegfried Sassoon, which I hope to post a review of shortly, I have switched wars. "Suite Française" by Irène Némirovsky. After the first few chapters it is looking like a very good read.

cheers Martin B

Finished Max Arthur's Last Post a couple of weeks ago.

Now half way through Human Traces..

I finally got my copy from the library for military history:

"The French Desecration of German War Graves at the Somme";

havn't read it yet, just screened the sad sad pictures

I've not heard of this book, but have the author. Is it difficult to get your hands on?

(And yes, this is a sad thing that goes on).

• 2 months later...
David Biltons' Trench is a good book.

I'm reading Dan Todman's 'The Great War : Myth and Memory' First Class !

In the Times Higher this week is a story and photo of Dan Todman who has won The Times Higher Young Academic Author of the Year for 2006 for this book. Dan is a lecturer in Modern History at Queen Mary , University of London.

What are Pals' views on this book? it's about £10 new on AMazon.

Robbie

I am reading for the third time " Raiders of the Deep " by Lowell Thomas.

the best WW1 Submarine (U-Boat)book there is. Also not long finished Patrick

Magills book ,I have to agree that was a Very Good read to.

Colin B ;)

The history of the London Rifle Brigade - 1914 to 1916; it is helping me puts some of the actions in "four years on the Western Front" into perspective

Keith Jeffrey's new biography of Sir Henry Wilson. £35 straight up (too much!) but available much more cheaply from Amazon etc (I got mine half price from a 'Marketplace' seller).

Simple view: Buy this book!

And it's probably the last bit of decent military history we'll get out of him as he's now disappeared to become official historian of MI6...

The Anzacs, Gallipoli to the Western Front by Peter Pederson. A gift from a friend.

Followed by Return to Gallipoli by Bruce Scates, another gift from a different friend.

Then Walking with the Anzacs by our own member Mat McLachlan

and then Somme Mud.

All by the 29th July.

Mmm, better have some sick days from work.

Cheers

Kim