Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Well, I've been on the road, and thought I'd try an audiobook to make the time go quicker...

"The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches" by Harry Patch and Richard Van Emden

Read by Alan Howard

In all, a very enjoyable listen; no doubt helped by the very able Alan Howard. Dare I say, if Harry Patch set his mind to it, he could be the "James Herriot" of plumbing! I enjoyed the post-war plumbing strories as much as his experiences in the trenches and as a fire-fighter on the home-front in WWII. Read this as much for the social history, as for the war. It's an understated book, and I like to believe, Harry's testament to three brothers-in-arms.

If there is one paragraph that stood out, to be remembered, it is this...

"...some nights I dream - of that first battle. I can't forget it. I fell in a trench. There was a fella there. He must have been about our age. He was ripped shoulder to waist with shrapnel. I held his hand for the last sixty seconds of his life. He only said one word: 'Mother'. I didn't see her, but she was there. No doubt about it. He passed from this life into the next, and it felt as if I was in God's presence. I've never got over it. You never forget it. Never."

Guest KevinEndon

Wulsten is currently reading Somme Mud, he borrowed it off me ages ago and I want it back so I can cross reference it with "In the footsteps of Private Lynch". Both books on their own are fantastic, I now want to go from one to another when the author of "In the footsteps" makes references to "Somme Mud".

Kevin

Picked up a copy of "The Civil Service Rifles in the Great War" by Jill Knight in a local book shop in Buxton,Derbyshire,this afternoon, for £4.99, so that's bed-time reading sorted for a few nights. :D

George

'News from the Front' by Martin J Farrar. £1 in Pudsey Library book sale. £19.99 in 1998!

Just started on the introduction. Phil.

Patrick Takle, The Affair at Nery, 1 September 1914 (Battleground Europe) inspired by the Machine Guns at Mons thread.

Just finished Ghosts Have Warm Hands - Will Bird - excellent as is The Communication Trench by the same author

'The Secrets of Rue St Roch' by Janet Morgan, about running spy rings in German-occupied territory. Excellent

cheers Martin B

Just reading the new, Passchendaele book by Norman Leach. Hot off the press about two weeks ago. A light, accessible read with lots of great pictures (including several of my own) and quotes.

Bonfire

"An unimportant officer" by Alexander Stewart.

Much-hyped, but an excellent read nonetheless. His caustic comments on those do-gooders who would deny the troops a tot of rum are noteworthy.

Also reading "A lack of offensive spirit".

Wolverhampton Library very kindly purchased a copy for me - should be available on the shelves for others to read some time next month, if I get a crack on!

Copy is now on the shelves (for those in the Wolverhampton area).

An excellent book - I particularly enjoyed the coverage of the Royal Artillery, and the medical aspects were fascinating. Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished 'Sniper One' a really good atmospheric read. I was not aware just what the soldiers went through out in Iraq! Not sure if there was a ghost writer involved but this Infantry NCO's account had me reaching for the pages every night. would recommend this to anyone wanting to get a sense of what the soldiers of the current army are going through.

Just now starting the autobio of Jack Hawkins. Someone I have come to really appreciate over the last few years. Written as he was dying it is, only a few pages in, gripping me as well.

regards

Arm

• Admin

Re reading Golden Virgin by Henry Williamson, after returning from Loos I picked up a Fox Under My Cloak, and I have gone on from there...........

Michelle

Currently reading "Sailor's Soliloquy" by Oswald M. Frewen (my copy) and Volume IV of "From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" by Arthur J. Marder (definitely NOT my copy). Having read part of the latter I noticed a book called "Merchantmen-at-Arms" by David W. Bone was mentioned. It was available for download on archive.org so I now have that in my "to read" section, along with Winton's biography of Jellicoe.

Simon

Just reading "Finest Hour" by Tim Clayton and Phil Craig. A good read so far.

Peter