Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

So come on guys what are you reading at the moment?

On my bedside table at the moments is Gary Sheffield's excellent Forgotten Victory. Avery good read.

Ross

I just finished "Sir Arthur Currie: A Biography" by Daniel Dancocks, which was excellent andwell recommended. I am about to start his "Legacy of Valour: The Canadians at Passchendaele". Any of Dancocks books are highly recommended.

In the recent past I read "It made you think of Home" the Journal of Deward Barnes, editied by Bruce Cane. Very highly recommended.

I've also been reading "With the Patricia's in Flanders 1914-1918" by Stephen Newman, which is an excellant reference book.

marc

Guest webbhead

The Book of War Letters: 100 Years of Private Canadian Correspondence (Ed. Grescoe & Grescoe, Toronto: McClelland and Stewart). The First World War section is full of fascinating letters from the front, the unflinching nature of which belie the misconception that people in homefront Canada had no idea what was going on in the trenches during the war. Worth picking up.

"King Solomon's Mines" by Rider Haggard; following on from "The War of the Worlds" by Wells. I felt a need for Victorian drama as a release from modern times!

Next is the current Wisden Cricketer, followed by "Diary of a Nobody" - the funniest book in the English language. I might get on to the Great War again after the summer break.

Just finished the Burgoyne diaries, excellent read, interesting bloke not very likable though.

Just starting The long Carry by Frank Dunham. Who was a stretcher bearer 1916-1918. Seems a very good read.

Ian.

Somme by Peter Hart & Richard Tommy by Holmes( but I have been reading this for months now!)

Command on The Western Front - Robin Prior & Trevor Wilson

Well written and explained; can't believe how long it took them to take on board the lessons from 1915.

Far from a donkey - can't remember the author.

Only just started this but very readable and the man was some character.

Expecting another consignment of books on WW1 shortly.

Guest karequah

At present, I'm reading Mark Leech's Unknown Soldiers and Martin Middlebrook's the Kaiser's Battle. First time for each and both seem to be quite good so far. I just finished Marc Dugain's the Officer's Ward, which had been recommended by another member, which was dead good.

Dan

So come on guys what are you reading at the moment?

On my bedside table at the moments is Gary Sheffield's excellent Forgotten Victory. Avery good read.

Ross

A bit base, but when on the Lav, Victoria Beckhams 'Learning to Fly' and at my bedside next to the leather gimp mask is Richard Holmes 'Tommy'.

Which much like Burlington I've been tackling for a while now. :(

Soren :)

and talking of "dead good", I'm surprised you have not listed The Challenge of the Dead" by Stephen Graham, Dan!!

Guest karequah

Kate,

But I'm still waiting for the final installment (or fix)!!! :blink: Note "Mr. crazy eyes" next to the post! :P Oh dear, the tome's influence on my English is rather telling, isn't it?

and talking of "dead good", I'm surprised you have not listed The Challenge of the Dead" by Stephen Graham, Dan!!

Guest karequah

:lol: I had the same difficulty with Tommy, but it was well worth the effort!

A bit base, but when on the Lav, Victoria Beckhams 'Learning to Fly' and at my bedside next to the leather gimp mask is Richard Holmes 'Tommy'.

Which much like Burlington I've been tackling for a while now. :(

Soren :)

Alternating readings: I'm just starting to read Charles Messenger's "A call to arms", eventually stopping to re-read of Hasek's "The adventures of the Good Soldier Schweyck" and Brecht's "Schweick in Second World War"...

"Those filthy flyes! It's all their fault! I shall never forgive them for soiling the Emperor's portrait!"

Gloria

• 3 weeks later...

Just read Machine gun to Cambrai by George Coppard and Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (brilliant, a masterpiece !)

Currently reading Somme - Lyn Macdonald

Happy reading,

Kevin

Hi all

Currently reading "War Trash" by Chinese author Ha Jin. It's about Chinese POW's during the Korean War in which the authors father fought. The title intrigued me!!!!

Gary

I'm reading the history of the 7th (sevice) battalion diary which is complimenting the war diry i downloaded from the NA,

will have to finish it while on holiday tho then its the other reading for me, (detective, forensic science, murder mysteries)

see you when i get back,

Mandy

Guest karequah

Have just finished Chris Cleave's "Incendiary," which was fantastic, albeit not Great War related. A thoroughly moving and bitterly comic look at our world since the terror attacks.

Am devouring Antrhony Trollope novels at quite a rate, luckily there are a lot of them. Dickens he aint, but they are most entertaining. For that matter, no one else is Dickens, incomparable.

Am devouring Antrhony Trollope novels at quite a rate, luckily there are a lot of them. Dickens he aint, but they are most entertaining. For that matter, no one else is Dickens, incomparable.

I've never actually read Trollope, but I agree on Dickens. I recently read Great Expectations for the very first time: what a book. The only one I've never managed to get on with is Chuzzelwit, but I'll do it one day. Somehow, he just takes you away on a journey, but you never get far away from real life...does that sound silly?

On topic, I've just finished 'The Last Valley', by Martin Windrow - on the debacle at Dien Bien Phu. Absolutely brilliant.

If I had to pick a Dickens, and I've read them multiple times, it would be Pickwick Papers, just hilarious! All are wonderful though, what characters. Chuzzlwit is great, BBC made a terrific screen play of it. THere is a 50 page or so section set in USA, sorry to day it's terrible, bad enough to skip.

Give Trollope a try, Barchester Chronicle is good as any.

I just finished "With my face to the Enemy" Edited by Robert Cowley I've yet to read a book edited by him I didn't throughly enjoy. Now I'm back in the trenches Reading " "There's a Devil in the Drum" By JF Lucy ..... Tag

The Imperial War Museum Book of The War at Sea 1914-1918, by Julian Thompson.

It's a side of the Great War I'm not too well read about, so I thought I'd try to start and make up for that.

Good so far, opened my eyes to another side of the conflict.

I'm reading "Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War" by Peter Barham. Very nice and interesting, on the shell-shocked British soldier, a dramatic tragedy of the Great War.

Beneath Flanders Fields, The Tunnelers' War 1914-18 by Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan Vandewalle.

An excellent book to read if you want to know more about this often forgotten part of WWI.

Steve Smith