Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Nobody else read "Ainsdale War Memorial"?

Bruce

Fascinated by "Documents Allemands sur la Bataille de la Marne". It includes reports from Hentsch, Tappen, Captains Köppen et König who accompanied Hentsch, von Bülow's account, Ludendorff's report on the OHL investigation in 1917, and a wealth of other extraordinary material. Originally published in 1930.

Robert

Nobody else read "Ainsdale War Memorial"?

Bruce

How much is a signed copy ;)

I am led to believe that a request to the author for a signed copy would result in NO EXTRA charge!

:P

Bruce

Not if you ask the author nicely enough!

Bruce

The Somme by Peter Hart.

For the Will Bird fan above, try "Ghosts Have Warm Hands" if you haven't already read it.

Been sidetracked from the Invasion of Luxembourg by the fleeting opportunity to read Nigel Steel and Peter Hart's 'Jutland 1916' which I thought excellent. After that, I launched into 'Prelude to Victory' by E.L. Spears, about Franco-British relations and the run-up to the Nivelle offensive. Very insightful by one who was there, and written in great style. I don't know whether it is still in print but would really recommend it.

cheers Martin B

I read and enjoyed Simon Jones' book and can recommend it. I have shelved Foulkes' book for reference if required. I don't know why we bothered with artillery, rifles, aircraft, tanks and all that other stuff. All we needed was gas. It never failed and as far as I could understand, wiped out nearly the whole population of Germany. I may refer to it in future but I can throw a grand piano further than I would trust it.

Actually I read the following books:

Beneath Flanders Fields by Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan Vandewalle

Ypres - The first Battle 1914 by Ian F. W. Beckett

Gruss aus Flandern ! Groeten uit Vlaanderen ! by Eddy Lambrecht

Pillars of Fire - The Battle of Messines Ridge June 1917 by Ian Passingham

The Grat War in Ypres by Jacky Platteeuw

This in the main,

but beside them I read many more books

Malte

• 1 month later...

In a break from the Great War (I read 'Private 12768' and 'Not Forgotten' during the great Gloucester power cut), I'm reading 'Vulcan 607'. I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Until relatively recently, I worked with one of the air-to-air refuelling pilots from that very mission.

Roxy

Looking forward to reading "COVENANTS WITH DEATH - Ed. by T.A.Innes/Ivor Castle"

Anyone else read (silly question)

What are you thoughts?

Not sure "read" is the word - looked at the pictures.

Pretty revolting, frankly.

Reading "Forgotten lunatics" but it is very heavy going for me so have temporarily diverted off to read Max Egremont biography of Sassoon. Very interesting read so far. Now have to read the "Sherston" trilogy.

Susan, have you read "The Weald of Youth" and its two companion volumes? These are Sassoon in the first person, and I found them extremely interesting, and (in many places) very moving. Worth a read.

Steven, I have been keeping my eye on this volume via ebay (currently going at something like 39.00). Thanks for the tip. Am very interested in his personal memoirs and I can imagine them being very moving indeed. I find his whole upbringing and development through childhood very interesting. What a background. I will have to invest in these. Thanks again "Mr. Broomers".....

Susan.

JUTLAND 1916 Nigel Steel & Peter Hart

• 1 month later...
I suspect that it's not only youngsters who don't read him.

What a great pity so few read John Buchan. He's a pure story teller like John Steinbeck

'Undertones of War' by Edmund Blunden. I'm nearly halfway through that and still not entirely clear about why he deemed it necessary to write an apology for his book before he wrote it!

Major and Mrs. Holts Battlefield Guides to the Somme and Ypres, in between visiting rellies in Stone in Oxney, Goring, Pulborough, Putney and Norway for the weekend <_< It is Tunisia next week

Cheers everyone

Shirley

Thanks to the many recommendations from forum members, I have been introduced to some extraordinary books. I recently finished Death’s Men which gave me remarkable insight into the lives of the PBI. Currently I am reading Ghosts Have Warm Hands which certainly lives up to its forum reputation as a great read. Finally, I might have a new favorite book (non-fiction), Old Soldiers Never Die. All three books have given me original insights into the daily lives of the men I so admire, humanizing them and perhaps giving me more accurate picture of the war the men in the front knew.

Thank you forum members.

What a great pity so few read John Buchan. He's a pure story teller

Hear, hear.

I'm currently reading Saul David's "Victoria's Wars" (on the train home in the evenings). Brilliant stuff.