Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Reading VC Heros. A christmas pressie with a personal dedication from Lord Ashcroft. B)

Who was it that said all medal collectors were iffy... :rolleyes:

Roland.

Reading VC Heros.

Clarification, please: are you reading a book called 'VC Heroes', or is it a book about VC heroes from Reading? :D

Just finished reading A Military Atlas of the First World War,now after a friendly exchange of views over the spirit world with another member of the Forum,I intend to re-read The Airmen Who Would Not Die by John G. Fuller.

Joan

Clarification, please: are you reading a book called 'VC Heroes', or is it a book about VC heroes from Reading? :D

There is just one VC holder from Reading. Reading about Reading VC holders would not take too long.

Roland. :blink:

I'm having a reading pause at present( a pause in my reading...not a pause at Reading), at least until I visit the local library next

Who was it that said all medal collectors were iffy... :rolleyes:

Roland.

I couldn't possibly imagine, Roland.

Do tell us :lol:

Just started Nick Lloyd's 'Loos 1915' - when Mrs Roxy asked for a copy, she was asked if it was a book about lavatories! The chap behind her (possibly a Pal) simply shook his head in disgust.

Also fighting my way through 'The Peninsular War' by Charles Esdaile for a change of tack.

Oh, and nipping in and out of 'The Dangerous Book for Boys'!

Roxy

For a change it's Clown Prince of Soccer? by Colin Mallam an autobiography of Len Shackleton (old Sunderland footballer of the 1940s and 50s) but next on the pile is All Bloody Gentlemen by Jill Knight.

Also fighting my way through 'The Peninsular War' by Charles Esdaile for a change of tack.

Roxy

No fight for me, I found it very good. That and Mark Urban's two books 'Rifles' and 'The Man who Broke Napolen's Codes' put Sharpe in context! :)

cheers Martin B

Half way through "never such innocence"Martin Stephen(keep going back to earlier verse & might take a while.Really good collection)

"Serge Gainsbourg-view from the exterior",Alan Clayson.

And finally,one of the easiest to read biogs ever,& one that is never too far from the night light,"Mannock V.C.-Ace with one eye".Oughton & Smyth

Martin,

I found some of the Spanish and Portugese terms used that were outside my vocabulary make it, at times, hard work - but a good read nonetheless.

Roxy

Just finished a few of the "Battleground" series - can't get enough of those.

Beaucout: Thiepval.

The Germans at Beaumont Hamel and The Germans at Thiepval - Jack Sheldon (I believe you frequent this forum ) HELL OF A JOB ! Great stuff. Thanks.

Now reading "War Letters" - Fallen Englishmen and German Students.

And lots on this great forum.

Keith - are you reading "Under Fire" in French or English ?

That one is written with mud and blood and tears.

John

"Serge Gainsbourg-view from the exterior",Alan Clayson.

Coincidentally;

Earlier today I picked up , and just finished listening to "The Ultimate Best of Serge Gainsbourg"

Mostly the same tunes but quite different, more raw than "De Gainsbourg a Gainsbarre"

John

Finished "Sharpe's Fury" and Hugh Halliday's excellent study of gallantry awards, "Valour Revisited". Currently working on "We Lead, Others Follow", a history of the 1st Canadian Division 1914-18.

Keith - are you reading "Under Fire" in French or English ?

That one is written with mud and blood and tears.

John

If you liked " Le Feu" you would probably like Louis Barthas' book.

I have finished reading two Osprey books on trench warfare , another Osprey book on fortifications of the western front, and "German Students Letters" forward by Jay Winter, I am interested now in the German side of things, I was discussing this matter of the "universal soldiers" experience with my brother and sister in law a few days ago and we came to the conclusion that there is no such thing but the memoirs of the Great War soldiers differ because of cultural differences, I have found this in the book on the students letters which I reading at present, the book is just SO DIFFERENT to the british memoirs I have read, there is more description of the experience of the life in the front line, the young students who are leutnants and fanrichs use language beautifully to describe little things like the frost and the smell of a cooking meal, the cold and warmth, the pleasure of tobacco and a good hot drink, it almost makes you feel as though you are there because we have all felt these things and it makes it easier to relate to these young soldiers.

I find that in all the 35 years I have been reading British memoirs and letter I have to say I have not found them as informative or engaging to the extent of the German Students Letters, I have in short learnt nothing from English sources, again it is a cultural thing. I would look forward to finding some French sources as my brother stated, they wear their hearts on their sleeve.

My next read is " Frozen in Time" by Ian Mccaskill the weatherman, a history of winter weather, the book is well supplied with photographs and has been well received by the critics.

I think the forward points out that those student's letters were chosen in part by Witkop BECAUSE they were from the intelligentsia and are not representative of the more common, less educated soldier.

That being said , reading both that collection and the War Letters of Fallen Englishmen at the same time it is clear there is a cultural difference that is interesting.

From the German POV those two books by Sheldon I mentioned are excellent. If you haven't yet read them I recommend them to you.

John

I will look for that one.

Thank you.

I made the first posting with one hand while cooking my tea. I got the book from Am.co.fr. Full title "Les carnets de guerre de Louis Barthas, tonnelier, 1914-1918". ISBN 2-7071-4064-3.

I've just started John Buchan's Memory hold the door, which is extremely moving.

A pity youngsters probably don't read Buchan any more :(

I've just started John Buchan's Memory hold the door, which is extremely moving.

A pity youngsters probably don't read Buchan any more :(

I suspect that it's not only youngsters who don't read him.

To CRH

A sweeping statement and it does a great disservice to the 'English sources'.

If you have learnt nothing from English sources then you are reading the wrong books.

I learn something from every book I read, good or bad.

I can write you a list of good books written by English sources but I haven't got the amount of hours it would take spare, I prefer to spend my hours reading books and learning from English sources.

May I add that I have read a number of 'German Sources' and they are good, whether they are better than the English sources is a personal opinion.

Sean