Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Just started reading "1914-1918 Voices & Images of the Great War" by Lyn MacDonald and really enjoying it especially as it avoids (so far) the political aspects and deals with the hardships and emotions of the ordinary soldier.

Dave

Just finished reading 'Blindfold & Alone - British Military Executions in the Great War'

Very interesting and in depth study.

Steve.

"How to fish"

Having a small break from my usual topic!!!

TT

Just started Warrior Race: A History of the British at War by Lawrence James. A Christmas present.

My bedside book is 'The War the Infantry Knew' for the second time -- one of the all time greats. I have reached April 1918 at the rate of about a month a night. My commuter train reading is 'Paroles de Poilus', a collection of letters from French soldiers (and a few German). I then plan to drop the Great War for a bit, as I was given Ian Rankin's latest for Christmas.

cheers Martin B

Parkes: "British Battleships 1860-1950"

Brown: "Warrior to Dreadnought" (and the successor "The Grand Fleet" is on its way).

Archibald: "The Fighting Ship in the Royal Navy."

Gordon: "The Rules of the Game."

Terraine: "The Smoke and the Fire."

Halfway through 'The Unending Vigil' (CWGC) - I've learned a heck of a lot.

Soon to embark on 'Haig's Generals'.

Regards

Ken

Through German eyes: the British & the Somme 1916 by Christopher Duffy

Covenant with Death by John Harris, managed to get a copy from the US for $7.95 inc P&P it only took four and a half months to get here, & being a Sheffield boy with close ties with Redmires, it's a first time read & I'm rivetted, cheers, Jon :D

Reading "Tip and run" for the second time:

Hi Chris

I read Byron Farwell's 'The Great War in Africa' a long time ago and it opened my eyes. Von Lettow-Vorbek and the sagas of L59 and the Konigsberg. Is 'Tip and Run' a sort of new improved version -- enough to make me put it on my shopping list?

cheers Martin B

Right now i am reading;

Mametz: Lloyd George's Welsh Army at the battle of the Somme by Colin Hughes,

next on my list is History of the 38th Division

Garron

'Arms and the Wizard - Lloyd George and the Ministry of Munitions 1915-1916' by RJQ Adams

'Smoke and Mirrors - Q-ships against the U-boats in the First World War' by Deborah Lake

Just finished Peter Hofschröer's 'Wellington's Smallest Victory - The Duke, the Model Maker and the Secret of Waterloo'.

Parkes: "British Battleships 1860-1950"

Did you see the cartoon in yesreday's Sunday Times? First Lord of the Admiralty reading a book titles "Jane's Fighting Ship" <_<

I'm reading Sebag Montefiore's "Dunkirk - to the last man" (jolly good), and Alessandro Barbero's "The Battle - a history of the Battle of Waterloo", which is interesting and readable.

"U Boats westward" a very good book concerning the submarines around the British Isles 1915-1918

{printed 1931}

regards John

David French's Templer Prize winner Military Identities: The Regimental System, the British Army, & the British People c.1870-2000. I haven't got very far, but it is fascinating reading, being both deeply researched and well written. Highly recommended, even at its prohibitive price.

Charles M

Reading Paul Willetts’ Fear and Loathing in Fitzrovia, a life of Julian Maclaren-Ross who has been described as brilliant novelist, short story writer, critic, parodist, sponger, dandy and bohemian.

The blurb sold it to me. “During fifty-two hectic years, Maclaren-Ross endured alcoholism, drug-induced psychosis, poverty, homelessness, imprisonment, near insanity and a Scotland Yard manhunt. At one stage he even stalked and planned to murder George Orwell’s glamorous widow.”

Maclaren-Ross was immortalised as X Trapnel by Anthony Powell in his Dance to the Music of Time cycle of novels.

War Walks from Agincourt to Normandy (Richard Holmes) an accompaniment to TV Series BBC '96 (PLUS maps)

Public Records Office Readers Guide for Army Service Records WW1

The Western Front (Richard Holmes again for BBC) 1999

My reading this week is divided between David Langley's edition of Old Soldiers Never Die which I got last week and a wonderful reprint of the 1941 Home Guard Manual published by Tempus Publishing (ISBN 0 7524 3887 5). This includes very detailed sections on small arms training (including rifle, bren gun, Thompson sub-machine gun, pistol, grenades, shotguns and sticks with nails sticking out [O.K. maybe I made the last bit up]); fieldcraft; mapping; field engineering; signalling and tactics. It is all very professional with never a whiff of Captain Mainwaring or Pike.

Several WW1 books for Christmas - am currently reading Under Fire by Henri Barbusse an unusual book following the exploits of the French Sixth Battalion - apparently written during the War this book gives a fascinating account of life in and behind the French lines - highly reccomended

Finished Lucys 'Theres a Devil in the Drum'

The Burgoyne Diaries are on their way.

Am currently topping up on Hew Strachan's 'The First World War' as I wait!

Hello

First time, with a signaling hat on "Trafalgar's Lost Hero - Admiral Lord Collingwood and the Defeat of Napoleon by Max Adams",

Re-reading "Writing the Great War, Sir James Edmonds and the Official Histories 1915-1948 by Andrew Green"

Regards

Mart

David French's Templer Prize winner Military Identities: The Regimental System, the British Army, & the British People c.1870-2000. I haven't got very far, but it is fascinating reading, being both deeply researched and well written. Highly recommended, even at its prohibitive price.

Charles M

One of the few modern books whose price I didn't quibble with. Excellent, thought-provoking and, as you say, fascinating.

Not a book one might agree with 100%, but I'd put it down as essential reading, to be frank.