Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Hi,

I'm going through two books -

a) slowly picking away at 'My Campaign in Mesopotamia' by Charles Townshend - he was in my opinion just a fascinating individual.

B) Indian Cavalry Officer 1914-15 by Captain Roly Grimshaw - a bit more interesting than expected.

For the obscure I've just ordered Sword & Spear by Capt.F.H.Mellor - he served with the 2/128th (Bombay) Pioneers in Turkey after the war, and I bought it for his account - should be interesting.

Take Care,

Chris

I am reading Adrain Carton de Wiart's 'Happy Odyssey' autobio and it is fascinating even if just from the fact that he was not just brave but nuts!

regards

Arm

Just nosy really, but it has led me to some great books.

I confess it's on my shelves, but (like Tristram Shandy) a book I've never managed to get past about page 12 of. One day....... :huh:

I confess it's on my shelves, but (like Tristram Shandy) a book I've never managed to get past about page 12 of.  One day....... :huh:

Tristram Shandy is very funny but should not be read in public. It is a laugh aloud book. A refreshing break from Loos or the Marne.

I've just finished reading the novel "Covenant with Death" by John Harris, apparently now out of print. It is the fictional story of a voluntary city battalion from its inception in 1914 to its destruction on 1 July 1916. Very vivid and moving. Recommended if you can get hold of a copy.

Moriaty.

Finally got round to reading.. and still reading.. the War the Infantry knew...

Great :)

Have been given two books for youngsters

Private Peaceful and Voices of Danger I will read them soon

John

So come on guys what are you reading at the moment?

Reading "The Somme" by Peter Hart only read about 100 pages up to now, throughly enjoying it, Lots of new information and personel accounts from soldiers who fought there. Accounts that I have not come across before. I have read Martin Middlebrookes, and Lynne McDonalds booka on The Somme and thought they was excellent. Up to now this book ranks alongside those.

It is a big book just short of 600 pages, but it is hard to put down. will add further comment when I have finished it.

Cheers

Paul :)

Finished reading The Somme.

THIS BOOK GOES TO THE TOP OF MY READING LIST

As the saying goes I could not put it down.

As mentioned above lots of new information, I was unaware that tanks were used (unsucccesfully) in the battle for Highwood. The accounts of the battle are very horrific where no quarter is given i.e Prisoners would be a hinderance and instances given where Prisoners are shot while screaming Kamerad, Delville Wood an estimated 7 shell a second exploding in a 1 square area, The extensive use of the RFC for aerial reconnisance. I was also unaware of the battlefield and trenches was bogged down in mud. Some of the trenches being Knee deep in liquid mud.

A must buy book, Mine is a copy from the library but I will definatly purchase this one.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paullaw1155

I'm just over halfway through The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian,. I'm on The Letter of Marque so only about another eight books to go!

I've also just started "Somme" by Lyn MacDonald

Dave

At last, I've started on jack Sheldon's book on the German Army on the Somme. Up to the end of 1915, and difficult to put down. Off to Waterstone's to collect 'Military identities' (see separate post) over the weekend, so will fill you all in on that in due course.

I've just finished reading, Derek Young's Forgotten Scottish Voices of the Great War, which I saw recced here. It was very interesting, although I did feel it concentrated on the Highland regiments a bit much.

I'm also about half way through the Aubrey/Maturin series, which is most excellent. Unfortunately as my to read pile is huge, I doubt I'll be reading the next one for a while.

Cas

• 1 month later...

The Guns of August by Barbera Tuckman.........good read and only two errors in the first six paras that I have found. Can't expect an American to know that British Cavalry carried Standards or Guidons not Colours I suppose.

Liaison, Edward Spears......absolutely superb.

The Battlefields of The First World War, Peter Barton...... Just arrived today and the book is superb. Can't wait to get looking at the CD's.

Only put it down when my biceps went in to cramps.

The Aristocracy in The Great War....... Good stuff but the indexing makes it difficult to look things up but well researched and written.

The Australian Victories in 1918, Monash.... Looks good with some unusual photographs but written in the man's own particular style.

A book on General U.S. Grant that my wife bought me in USA.

Looks interesting but have only skimmed through it briefly.

at present? "of those we loved" and The journal of Private Fraser" :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished "Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: the bizarre battle of Lake Tanganyika" by Giles Foden. A good work on the African front; however the best on this subject remains Byron Farwell's "The Great War in Africa".

I suggest also the book of Edwin P. Hoyt on the Konigsberg's saga. Very readable and truly informative.

Reading Jacka's Mob - by John Rule - at the moment. The account of the 14th Batt. AIF. Excellent read if you want the Aussie perspective and their wonderful disregard for tradition and officialdom. On one occasion all the battalion officers handed in their resignations as a protest over the ' aspersions' made about the battalion by the Brigadier. The Brig called a parade of all officers, 'after a little while he said abruptly, now what about that silly thing you fellows have done?' ......'outside the room Jackand the Brig had a regular set to' .....the account goes on to detail the episode with one battalion officer threatening to arrest the Brigadier! Great reading.

At the moment, off topic.

'The Man In the Iron Mask' by Roger Macdonald. Not obviously the Dumas version but an appraisal investigation of the musketeers legend and who really was the man in the iron mask. Not to far in but liking it already!

regards

Arm

They Fought With Pride.....First World War Experiences of the 2nd Battalion The Monmouthshire Regiment.....written by one of our Pals David Nicholas. (I've even got the author to sign my copy :P )

An excellent read with a lot lof local information dug out of letters and newspaper reports. A fantastic source of reference for anyone interested in this Territorial Regiment.

Martyn

As anyone who caught my agonised squeal the other day will know, I am reading T. Pakenham's " The Boer War ". Written so well that it made me extremely angry. I am also reading "The Dardanelles" in Uncovered Editions. 2 small books. A government committee's attempt to peek behind the scenes. Like a fine sherry. Very good and very dry. As an ongoing project which has been going on for some time and will last a while yet, I am struggling through Pedroncini's " Les Mutineries de 1917" which is an in depth study of the Mutinies in the French Army after The Chemin des Dames disaster. My personal feeling is one of wonder that the Poilus waited until 1917 to mutiny.

I purchased a copy of Tommy Goes to War by Malcolm Brown for 3.99 from The Works. Not a bad read with some nice photographs.

Thank you Martyn for your comments on They Fought With Pride - 2nd Battalion, The Monmouthshire Regiment.

If anyone would like a copy for Christmas drop me a line. It is £12.95 (Hardback).

At present you will not find it on Amazon for a reduced price as I am the only outlet! :D

Regards

David

Just to get back to off topic - David Copperfield.