Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Finnegans Wake (Joyce).

Intellectual type! :o

I've never actually read Trollope, but I agree on Dickens. I recently read Great Expectations for the very first time: what a book. The only one I've never managed to get on with is Chuzzelwit, but I'll do it one day. Somehow, he just takes you away on a journey, but you never get far away from real life...does that sound silly?

Little Dorrit is my second favourite Dickens after Great Expectations. His characterisation of Miss Haversham is unsurpassed.

Trollope is OK, too, but Dickens is by far the better writer of these two.

Robbie

Rising '44 'The Battle For Warsaw', by Norman Davies

about the Warsaw uprising against the Krauts...... on page 2 sofar......

hello Robbie,

I have not seen you on the Forum for a while, were doing time something? :lol:

im reading slim, master of war, a good read but lots of different divisions and corps to remember. I would recommend it for background on the war in Burma.

dave

I am reading "Battle of the Otranto Straits" by Halpurn. This is the first full account of the battle that I have seen so it is very interesting, though haven't tried to validate any of the info yet.

Best wishes

David

Dave'59

One of Slim's best quotes "All battles are fought uphill, at night, in the rain, at the junction of two, or more, map sheets."

Haig's War Diaries and Letters (Sheffield & Bourne)/

Is it good? I've been thinking about investing, but haven't yet.

Just finished "My Mystery Ships", by Rear-Admiral Gordon Campbell VC DSO**.

Bought this book very second hand; the inscription in the front has the date 1928. Mystery Ships were the original name for Q-ships. The action accounts in the book only take a few pages, because action for a Q-ship was half an hour of terror after months of boredom, even more so than for ground troops. But Campbell fills the rest of the book with fascinating detail and interesting anecdotes. And he has the reader's nerves jangling with his descriptions of lying hidden aboard a torpedoed, sinking ship waiting for the U-boat to surface before opening fire. Given that his men all volunteered to sail with him again after two such actions, his ability to inspire loyalty must have been phenomenal.

Adrian

Is it good?  I've been thinking about investing, but haven't yet.

Definately worth a read as it gives an incite into his thoughts and obsticles. Unlike you might expect it does do a white wash of him it does show how his mind worked and thus why somethings went wrong!

regards

Arm

Is it good?  I've been thinking about investing, but haven't yet.

I'm enjoying it. It's good to read many of the familiar quotes in full and in context; it really gives an insight into what the C-in-C knew, and when, allowing us to compare it with what we now know happened at the time. One gets a good impression of where he went, who he met, what information he received and how he formed his opinions.

I recommend it!

Cheers,

Ste

I'm enjoying it.  It's good to read many of the familiar quotes in full and in context; it really gives an insight into what the C-in-C knew, and when, allowing us to compare it with what we now know happened at the time.  One gets a good impression of where he went, who he met, what information he received and how he formed his opinions.

I recommend it!

Cheers,

Ste

Thanks (and Arm). I have some book tokens left from a recent birthday (the rest have gone on Jack Sheldon's book), and they've been burning a bit of a hole, to be honest ;)

"MEN OF THE HIGH PEAK",

A History of the 1/6th Battalion , The Sherwood Foresters 1914-18 edited Cliff Housley.

(ISBN 0 9529648 6 4)

The Somme Prior and Wilson. Their WW1 credentials are impeccable. I have never expressed an opinion on Haig on this forum but have a couple of observations after reading this.

It made no difference what tactics attacking infantry used July 1. According to myth nearly all marched slowly and straight up. Of 80 battalions only 12 can be shown to have done this, 50 can be shown to have not. The artillery preparation was so inadequate it mattered not how they advanced. Haig, Rawlinson gave no thought to how expanding objectives lessened the amount of fire to be directed at critical enemy points.

Throughout the rest of the campaign there was only rare coordination between attacking units which attacked on narrow fronts which Germans could concentrate enormous fire power on from several directions. Even when adjoining units were not attacking their artillery was not used in support.

When tanks were used large holes were left in the barrage for a path for them even though they could withstand shrapnel, so unproven tanks which could not advance as fast as infantry when they did function took the place at critical points of the creeping barrage the most effective protection for infantry which existed.

The hope well into the battle that a collapse would take place on a large front much bigger than the line of Somme attack was nothing less than delusional.

For this period at least Haig was just terrible. His pattern seems to be til last 100 days when he should be credited with foresight, too large an objective carried on far far too long.

Have just finished re-reading Undertones of War by Blunden and have just started The Gunpowder Plot by Antonia Fraser.

Currently reading The Hazy Red Hell compiled by Tom Donovan. It is a collection of first person accounts of fighting on the Western Front between 1914 and 1918. The book is made up of diary entries, letters and excerpts from previously published works and I am finding it to be an outstanding read.

Regards,

~Dan

Reading two at the moment:

The Fight for Gallipoli, by Admiral of the Fleet Sir Roger Keyes

Very useful, so far accurate in detail, especially interesting to see his loyalty to Admiral Carden. Generous to the French naval effort which is not always the case.

What Fools We Were, by Brig-Gen. Sir George Cockerill

According to Cockerill, it's a good thing he was available or the First World War couldn't ever have been won by the Allies. He was in charge of M.O.5 (later M.I.5), the Special Intelligence Section of the General Staff at the War Office from "just after the war began" and headed the Postal Censorship project and, later, takes credit for the Economic War and the Propaganda War against the Axis powers. It is a great read, especially when he lets rip against Lord Northcliffe who is credited with some of the Propaganda successes, and HG Wells, who spoke out against re-armament in the 1920's. He puts aside all dissent about the war as unfortunate misunderstandings and is equally dismissive of "the Irish Problem". It must have been interesting working with him, both during his undoubtedly valuable war work and later when he was MP for Reigate 1918-1931.

Both are good reading, especially Cockerill's rants.

Does anyone know of any critical reviews of either book? Or hasve an opinion?

Regards to all,

Bruce

Guest Markiemark

This is a posting of a Dutchie, currently reading Dutch books. Hope you don't mind too much ...

I am reading two books:

- Evelyn Roodt, Immortal Fronts (free translation from the Dutch). A book with portraits of 8 German writers at the front. She tries to paint a picture of these writers' development up to WW1, of their work during war and what happened with their work after the war (how was it received over the years, how influential have the works been).

- Paul Moeyes, Out of fire (Buiten schot), a history of the Netherlands 1914-1918.

The War the Infantry Knew ... cool stuff ... a little dispassionate, but a wonderful read for all those who've worn green/kachi/whatever, you know what I mean ...

Interesting post Mr. Guthrie - you really think it was that bad?

The Advance From Mons 1914 Walter Bloem.

Excellent read and interesting to see the German point of view.

The War the Infantry Knew ... cool stuff ... a little dispassionate, but a wonderful read for all those who've worn green/kachi/whatever, you know what I mean ...

Interesting post Mr. Guthrie - you really think it was that bad?

Assuming you mean Haig-Rawlinson-Gough performance at the Somme, it was Godawful, the learninig curve sure started at a very low point.

Paul,

have to agree with your comment. More control by Haigh would have been useful; Rawlinson and Gough seem to have forgotten what they should have learned in 14 and 15.

Shame that nobody appears to have asked the Brigade and Battalion commanders how things should be done.