Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

Keith Jeffrey's new biography of Sir Henry Wilson. £35 straight up (too much!) but available much more cheaply from Amazon etc (I got mine half price from a 'Marketplace' seller).

Simple view: Buy this book!

And it's probably the last bit of decent military history we'll get out of him as he's now disappeared to become official historian of MI6...

Ditto to all of this. I didn't know about the last line but it sounds likely.

Just finished The Communication Trench by Will Bird (a gift - grateful thanks to the donor) an excellent book full of fascinating facts and anecdotes,

Imperial Warrior

The life and times of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby 1861-1936, by Lawrence James.

A complex and sometimes misunderstood character, in my opinion(after reading 3/4 of the book)

Hi Guys,

I am currently on with (again!) World War One by H.P.Willmott along with a Phoebus edition of Fighting Ships of WW1 and WW2

Am awaiting the delivery of Medals: The Researchers Guide by Spencer William, has anyone read or used this book? What do you think? <_<

Regards,

Womo

Just finished "Reminiscences" by Sir Francis Howard and started "The Congreves" the 1930 book by Thornton & Fraser on Father & Son General Sir Walter Norris and Major William La Touche Congreve.

Andy

Half way through the paperback of "Noel Chavasse" by Anne Clayton an excellent read and my friend who has just finished it says it very emotional at the end - get out the tissues!

A very written and informative book.

LizM

Am struggling with "The German Offensives of 1918" by Martin Kitchen. Not the easiest of reads I have to say.

TT

Just finished

Douglas Haig: 'The Preparatory Prologue' 1861-1914 by Scott Douglas

Whilst some of the book had some errors, the over all impression I am left with is a different character of Haig than I had anticipated, or imagined. I am relatively nutral on Haig in WW1, atleast I think I am, however I do see him as aloof and distant and very 'cold' This I have to say does not come across in letters to his family and friends. If it does not sound too condescending, he seems very normal and human.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to see a different side to that often percieved of Haig. Also interesting for the information of lesser known events and characters in the times he covers.

regards

Arm

Ps As for what I am reading now, umh, thinking on it and in the mean time skim reading some facts for a project I am working on.

Steel Wind. Colonel Georg Bruchműller and the birth of modern artillery.

By David Zabecki

Still going with "Bleak House".

WWII but have just finished 'Bad Faith' by Carmen Calill, about Vichy's Commissioner for Jewish Affairs Louis Darquier. Excellent.

Now back to the Great War with 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary -- British and Irish Nurses in the Great War' by Yvonne McEwen.

cheers Martin B

The First World War - John Keegan

Its heavy going at times for me.

Neil

In Battle by John Bagot Glubb ( Glubb Pasha of the Arab Legion) about his service with 7th Field Company RE. Badly wounded 1917, came back in summer 1918 and served out the war. Interesting diary but a wee bit stilted.

Sent to me by a friend who saw it in a charity shop.

Aye

Malcolm

Am awaiting the delivery of Medals: The Researchers Guide by Spencer William, has anyone read or used this book? What do you think? <_<

If you are able to get to Kew personally the amount of time you'll save and the increase in productivity - not to mention the reduced need to hire a researcher in some areas - make the price of the book a cheap at any price deal. Buy it! (if you haven't already)

Im just finishing "The memorial to the Missing" a new book by Gavin Stamp its about the building and planning of the Thiepval memorial excellent read.

Have just started "from the Somme to the Armistice" Memoirs of Capt. Stormont Gibbs (4th. Suffolks)

Seems okay so far...

Ivan.

Have just started a new Charity shop addition called a "Promise of Hope" written by Colonel Mark Cook who commanded the British contingent of the UN Protection force in Croatia in 1991.

Rob

Currently rereading 'Riding The Retreat'. I think the introductory chapters where Holmes spells out the workings of a battalion are excellent and the actual trip sounds great fun what with all the vino etc. I am actually using it to plan a wee day away from the family in July. We are camping at Vic Sur Aisne. I reckon 1 Corps crossed the bridge next to our campsite. I'll be zooming about checking out sights such as Nery.

Len

Just started "L'Invasion du Luxembourg 1914" by GWF member Healdav. Review will follow in due course.

cheers Martin B

Guest Royal Scot
So come on guys what are you reading at the moment?

On my bedside table at the moments is Gary Sheffield's excellent Forgotten Victory. Avery good read.

Ross

Major. John Ewing MC. 'The Royal Scots 1914-19', excellent read.

John Laffin. 'Butchers and Blunderers of the Great War', very biased, over critical and unbalanced.

John Laffin. 'Butchers and Blunderers of the Great War', .

Wasn't very keen on this book :unsure:

This one however,'Never such innocence'Martin Stephen,is always on the bedside cabinet.Magic :wub:

I am currently enjoying

"Ainsdale War Memorial"...published by Trafford Publishing....a snip at only £10

But then....I would say that, wouldn't I!

Bruce

A second go at Beneath Flanders Fields: The Tunnellers' War 1914-1918

by Peter Barton , Peter Doyle , and Johan Vandewalle

Quite a technical book but obviously very well researched (20 years apparently).