Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are we currently reading?

mahross

I am in the middle of "The Unending Vigil: A history of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission."

I'll have to check that out (if I can get my hands on it).

Currently re-reading "Aftermath: the Remnants of War" by Donovan Webster.

Completely by chance I noticed the complete text of this book can be read online.

regards

Roel

do you have a link to that, please? On a quick search I only found an American-based 3library3 charging 10 bucks a month to join.

cheers Martin B

Here you go, Martin.

This website has more books/personal accounts which can be read online.

regards

Roel

Thanks Roel

my printer just uttered a deep groan

cheers Martin B

"Riding the Retreat" by Richard Holmes - a really excellent introduction to the events of 1914.

Recommended.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Just started GTAT

Susan.

• 4 months later...

I'm cheating on this one, I'm having Siegfred Sasson's diaries read to me by John Westbrook.

'In the Footsteps of Private Lynch' by Will Davies and I am really enjoying it as a companion to Somme Mud. I am particularly enjoying following the footsteps of Lynch in the 45th compared to the journey taken by Nulla in the book. Its fascinating stuff.

Elle

• 3 weeks later...

Just started "Collosus" by Niall Ferguson having finished "Empire" a couple of weeks ago. "Empire" is a wonderful read and a brilliant analysis of the legacy of the British Empire.

Also reading "59th Division 1915-1918" edited by Lt Col E.U.Bradbridge. My grandfather was with the 59th Division in late 1916 - early 1917 so it's nice to read a bit about their activities.

Reuben Ayres

'In the Footsteps of Private Lynch' by Will Davies and I am really enjoying it as a companion to Somme Mud. I am particularly enjoying following the footsteps of Lynch in the 45th compared to the journey taken by Nulla in the book. Its fascinating stuff.

Elle

Ditto, have to wait for the Footsteps while Chris reads it (I bought him that as a Father's Day gift from his kids, 2 weeks in advance :)

'Somme Mud' was riveting

Cheers

Shirley

I'm going through my bound sets of 'Gallipolians', from No 1 (1969) up to No. 48 (1985). Lots of fascinating stuff in them if your interest is Gallipoli.

I've just finished Humphrey Cobb's 'Paths of Glory', the novel on which Kubrick's film was made. An excellent and sobering tale, much more incisive than the movie, which critics have pointed out soft-pedals things somewhat, while making Colonel Dax much more of a hero than Cobb does.

I am now into 'With Snow on their Boots' by Jamie H. Cockfield, a well-researched and well-written American account of the Russian brigades on the French front, which fought as well as anyone in the Nivelle offensive before falling apart under the influence of the Bolshevik Revolution. Not finished it yet, but can recommend.

cheers Martin B

I picked up "The War Walk" by Nigel Jones a few weeks back, but have only just started reading it. I soon realised that it was actually written in the 1980's and has been reissued, probably because of the increase in "battlefield tourism".

He works his way along the western front, with each chapter defining one or more actions in a region, followed by his journey over the same area. As it is over 25 years old, his journey is perhaps somewhat different to that experienced by today's traveller, and he often talks abouyt discovering artefacts in old caves, trenches, etc.

Quite an interesting read, probably better for being 25 years old.

Famous by Richard Van Emden and Vic Puic. I'm about half way through it. Its about a number of I guess you'd describe, celebrities who fought in the Great War. They are all given a chapter each so far I've got through CS Lewis, Basil Rathbone, Vaughn-Williams, Arnold Ridley to name a few. Pretty interesting and slightly different from the usual.

There's a devil in the drum.

Thoroughly enjoying every word.

Susan.

Two excellent reads just recently finished, and two books that compliment each other very well - "The Great War" by Les Carlyon, and "Somme Mud" by EPF Lynch

Just started on "The Advance from Mons 1914: The Experiences of a German Infantry Officer" by Walter Bloem.

A great book (and a great translation) as many here will be able to attest to. This is the Helion reprint and I notice in the Publishers Note that they plan to translate his "Sturmsignal" (1918) and "Das Ganze Halt" (1934) to complete his trilogy in English. Fingers crossed.

The Wonder Book of the Navy 1917 edition, fascinating to read how the naval war was being spun during the war.

It seems to lean heavily on information supplied by Admiral Beatty.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Also reading "A lack of offensive spirit".

Wolverhampton Library very kindly purchased a copy for me - should be available on the shelves for others to read some time next month, if I get a crack on!

Just finished 'Bloody April' by Peter Hart and about a fifth of the way into 'Aces Falling' by the same author. Both superb, and wish I took the opportunity to pick up Somme Success and 1918 from him at the Shuttleworth Collection back in August

After having a good look around the GWF bookshop for some bargains (quick plug there ;) )......

I've just finished 'A Month at the Front - The diary of an Unknown Soldier', despite being on the short side was very interesting to read and worth the £3.50 or so that I paid for it. Does anyone know if they got any further in discovering who the unknown soldier was?

Currently on 'Home In Time For Breakfast - A First Wold War Diary', which I'm enjoying as I know very little about the Artillery chaps.

On the 'to read' list is 1918 by Peter Hart, Border Regiment in the Great War and the Killing Ground.

Looking forward in particular to 1918 as The Somme is one of the best WW1 books I've read so far.

forgotten voices of the great war ----- max arthur