Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

The CWGC cemetery description states:

"The long row which forms Plot I of the churchyard extension [where Perkins is buried] was used from May 1915 to April 1918 and between April and October 1918 [when he died], three further plots were made between the churchyard and the road. Many of the burials took place from field ambulances stationed in the village. The great majority of the graves are those of Territorial [which he was] soldiers, 249 of them from the 46th (North Midland) Division [which the 1/5th were in], which spent three years in the neighbourhood and based its transport at Fouquieres."

Presumably he died of wounds.

Charles Vernon Lee, 1418, 6th Sherwoods enlisted 16 May 1911. Per service record.

Dennis Lee, 105500, 7th Sherwoods. 2 Feb 1918 & 7 April 1918. First date was when he was called up, 2nd when he enlisted. Per service record.

Jim

Many thanks Jim - especially for 105500, a series for which I have little info.

JAMES LEONARD GREEN

Private

2nd/6th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.) died on

Monday 7 May 1917, Age 19 .

His home was 5 Ripon Grove, Kingston upon Hull. In a letter of sympathy from the Company Sergeant Major it stated that deceased was wounded on April 27th in an attack launched by the battalion when Len was hit quite near the German line. After a while at daybreak when he was cleaning off his equipment a German sniper caught him and hit him in the head. The letter adds "Your son was a fine soldier, always clean, smart and willing and we shall all miss him very much". He was before the war engaged as clerk by the Hull Steering Company.

Pooter - many thanks for those details. Do you, by any chance, have an indication of when he enlisted?

at the risk of gazumping :P

the men either side of James Green had the following enlistment dates

52** (241879 Joseph Newham Attested 11.12.15; Mob 23.3.16

558* (241951) James Gibbons Enlisted 10.5.16

April/May 1916 enlistment?

Andrew, I have a stack more enlistment dates to send you from SWB cards. Will try to get them together over next few days and send to you

cheers

Mike

Gazump away!

Many thanks for your continued interest and information.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

What about our old 'friend':

18668 Cpl David Brain 9th Bn, enlisted 9/11/14!

Also,

32649 Cpl H H Needham enlisted 22/11/15

andrew

new on here

have seen your post and offer the following

francis edward yeomans attested derby 17-2-1915 no 3840 2/5 notts and derby

transfered to 3/5 then finally to 1/5 no 201201

discharged 20-7-17 swb

my grandfather

hth

swan

Anthony,

Many thanks. Oddly I hadn't got Brain on my list! Thanks also for Needham.

Swan,

Thank you for the precise details concerning your Grandfather as they help fill another little gap.

• 2 months later...
I do not think I sent this one !

Private George Hopkinson 'D' Coy 9th Bn died of wounds 4/12/1916. 23005 and his CWGC details have Enlisted Feb 1915.

stevem

Steve and Andy, many many thanks for you information (plus the rest :D )

GGF1 Pte Daniel Smith service number 23000 died 21-23 March 1918, guess that means he enlisted Feb 1915 9th Bn and was sent to join 2nd Bn in the Balkans as a reinforcement (have been trying to link this together all night!)

GGF2 Sgt Edgar Sansom 252483 2/6th DLI, enlisted 7th (RHR) SF pre 1910. He transferred to DLI prior to Dec 1917, I'd previously presumed the SF TF got moved after the Kaisershlact in 1918.

I hope this isn't out of order, is WFR museum in Chilwell the best place to try and tie up the loose end (his service records are destroyed). I suspect he also didn't volunteer to go overseas he's pictured in 2or3/7th and 21 SF, although he appears to have been an Sgt (rilfe) instructor.

GGF1 Pte Daniel Smith service number 23000 died 21-23 March 1918, guess that means he enlisted Feb 1915 9th Bn and was sent to join 2nd Bn in the Balkans as a reinforcement (have been trying to link this together all night!)

Kevin,

From his MIC I think that its more likely that he went with 9/Foresters when they headed to the Dardenelles and then at some point later he transfered to the 2/Foresters

post-4619-1168983847.jpg

Mike

Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that queries regarding SF numbers crop up quite frequently. As a result I began, a while ago, developing a database containing information on number, date of enlistment and battalion. From this I have already been able to significantly narrow down the likely time of enlistment within some number ranges and in some cases can now give a precise date (or close to it). However, I've now run out of my own raw material so I'm asking if anyone else can add to it.

If you have a Forester, his number and known date of enlistment I'd like to hear from you, even if the enlistment date is not precise - a known month would still help (however, any dates must be known, not merely assumed!)

If you can help, could you provide information in the following format, either below or via PM:

Name / Number / Enlistment Date / Battalion /

Thanks in advance. :)

Andrew

I have:

Frederick H Bacchus/6016 crossed through then 307316 above/ Initial training in Curragh from diary Jan 1917/ 2/8th Sherwood Forresters Company A, Platoon 4, Platoon Bomber then Rifle Grenadier 26/5/1917

1918 A Coy, 3 platoon.

Gassed: wound badge number B212001

Two soldiers diaries exist with his notes. 1917 and 1918

Too much detail and no enlistment date, but hopefully better than nothing. :)

Guy

Kevin,

Many thanks. Your GGF1, number 23000, would give an enlistment date in the first week of February 1915. I've got him straddled by 22907 who enlisted on February 1st and 23041 who enlisted on February 8th. All the men near him are 9th Battalion and, as Mike has suggested via use of the MIC, he almost certainly was 9th battalion initially. Forum member Steve Morse is 9th battalion guru and may be able to help a little more here.

And, no, you re not out of order at all - the WFR are a tremendous organisation.

Cheers.

Guy - excellent detail which I will greedily log. Many thanks.

Kevin,

From his MIC I think that its more likely that he went with 9/Foresters when they headed to the Dardenelles and then at some point later he transfered to the 2/Foresters

post-4619-1168983847.jpg

Mike

The 9th battalion had over 1400 men whilst in Egypt Jan -June 1916. When the 9th moved to France these extra men were sent to other battalions/regiments. The 11th Div seems to have been used as a training establishment during this period. The majority of battalions had establishments of some 1400 men.

stevem

Steve and Andy, many many thanks for you information (plus the rest :D )

One slight problem - I cannot find him on the 9th Medal rolls. I have 22996 and then 23003. It could be that the men sent to the battalion in Egypt did not officially become 9th Bn men. Either that or I have missed some 9th Bn men !!

stevem

Andrew

I've only just noticed this thread. William Pawsey is on our war memorial. He enlisted on 22/3/1916 at Herne Bay having had his appeal turned down at the local tribunal (he was the sole supporter of his home with 6 brothers and 2 sisters). He was numbered 5533 and then 202268 and was killed with the 1/5 Bn on 5/8/1917.

Mick

The 9th battalion had over 1400 men whilst in Egypt Jan -June 1916. When the 9th moved to France these extra men were sent to other battalions/regiments. The 11th Div seems to have been used as a training establishment during this period. The majority of battalions had establishments of some 1400 men.

stevem

Steve, out of interest you mention Egypt, but his MIC states 'Balkans'. Does that mean he made it as far as the island which they used as a staging post to Galipolli (I forget it's name). Before moving on to Egypt?

Mike

Steve, out of interest you mention Egypt, but his MIC states 'Balkans'. Does that mean he made it as far as the island which they used as a staging post to Galipolli (I forget it's name). Before moving on to Egypt?

Mike

Mike

They spent a couple of weeks at Imbros on Lemnos before moving to Egypt in January. Although the establishment for 1st Jan 1916 was 23 officers and 753 men. By 13th Jan it was 25 officers and 899 men after a draft had arrived on that date. There were also drafts prior to that - September and November and possibly December. His date of entry is pre 31 Dec 1915, so i would think he was on Lemnos.

steve