Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

Register of names and war service of County Council Employees 1914-1918

21271 Arthur Harold Chambers (although they have Arthur Hardy Chambers!) Joined the colours 21 January 1915. 9th Bn - served with them until Jan 1917 - Commisioned and served with 2/5th SF Aug 1917 - Dec 1918. Wounded Gravenstafel 26 Sept 1917. 21 March 1918 - wounded at Bullecourt and captured. Repat - 8 December 1918.

stevem

• 2 weeks later...

From service papers:

William Boyce, 5365 later 306963, initially 3/8th Sherwood Foresters

Enlisted 16 Apr 1916

To France 16 Jul 1916

Reported missing 23 Apr 1917

Actually a POW

Ooops. I'm not keeping up. Many thanks to both of you for the continual trickle of info.

My grandfather H. Harrison Notts & Derby Regiment Private Regimental No. 1909 and then 305244 Entered France 2.3.1915 left Reg on 2.4.1919.

I have no further knowledge of him (I think his name was Henry) and would like to know where he served in France.

• 2 months later...

*performs an act of thread necromancy*

Is this project still ongoing? I have been feverishly transcribing various SWB rolls from photgraphs taken at the NA. I have finished WO329/3060 which covers the TF. (5th,6th,7th and 8th bttns)

It is in Excel format and has just over 1000 names, dates of enlistment etc. Would this be of any use? (About time I put something back after years of furtive forum lurking :ph34r: )

I'll answer this, yes it is!!

What an amazing thing you have there, i am sure you will have loads of interest, me included!!

Excellent jmoha - be interested to hear more B)

Anthony - request on its way soon

And............just managed to define 3 BIG transfers from 2/6th Battn SF to London Regt, just need figure why and when <_<

Hi Mike,

Ignore the email, i now understand!!! :)

1. Is this project still ongoing?

2. I have been feverishly transcribing various SWB rolls from photgraphs taken at the NA. I have finished WO329/3060 which covers the TF. (5th,6th,7th and 8th bttns)

3. It is in Excel format and has just over 1000 names, dates of enlistment etc. Would this be of any use? (About time I put something back after years of furtive forum lurking :ph34r: )

1. Yes.

2. Ooooh.

3. YES PLEASE!!

:rolleyes:

How best to distribute this file? It is 185kb which is too large to upload as an attachment here I think.

If you pm me an email address I can attach it to that, saves on the forum bandwith too.

Have sent a copy of the file to Andy. If anyone else would like it, drop me a pm with an email address and I'll send it along.

James

• 2 months later...

Right, I have to say it - the Regimental numbers/enlistment dates have now got the best of me :angry2:

The 7**** series were bad enough, but effectively solved

The 2**** series are sorted

BUT, there is a new condundrum :wacko:

When the 6th Res SF merged with the 5th Res SF in Sept 1916, the men from the 6th Res were renumbered!

(I assume the same happened for 7th Res and 8th Res)

For example:

3382 Pte Turner was transfered from 6th Res to 5th Res and renumbered 5990 and later 202586 in 1917 (because he was serving with 1/5th Battn at the time)

Now you would assume that a 5590/202586 Regimental number was a Late 1915/early 1916 Derby Scheme/Military Service Act Recruit, but alas not, because he originally enlisted in October 1914 into the 2/6th Battn with 3382 (which never appears on the Medal Roll/MIC because he served overseas under the 5590 number).

What makes this more confusing is that not all men were renumbered when they were transfered at a later date

ah well.....................

That's an anomaly that I've noted too with the TF's, i.e. seemingly 'obvious' late 1915 / early 1916 numbers for men who, according to SWB's, are 1914 enlistments.

Not a clue why though. I've got enough on trying to make some sort of sense out of the numbering of the regulars.

Mike

Our illustrious member has transcribed hundreds of records for various SF regiments ex SWB at Kew. Is such a data set likely to be available for 16th SF? I am eager for any crumb on 51830 Pt Lissemore.

Dave

Hi Dave

Many of the 'later' SWB lists don't ascribe a Battalion (from what I remember anyway) so its difficult to draw up Battn-specific rolls that way.

Andy H would be able to provide an enlisment date for 518** number. I suppose the only problem might be is if he was placed with a training reserve Battn first and numbered TR/**** before being given his SF number when he was posted to the regiment. But his number might be too early for this not to be an issue.

What you could do (if you had the time and patience!) would be to search through ancestry records using numbers from 51700 to 51900 and a date of 1919 or 1920, just to try and find some records from other men of the 16th that you could draw inferences from - big job though

cheers

Mike

Most of the Silver War Badge rolls I have encountered so far just have the regiment on them, the exception being mostly confined to the TF battalions. My transcribing has slowed somewhat lately as towards the end of 1917-early 1918 (the lists I have reached so far) there are a lot of men involved eg wo329/353 has by my estimate 1700 names and only the TF men are ascribed battalions.

I haven't forgotten you Mr H. I'm just getting sore fingers from all those lists :)

Mike /Andrew

I have been trying to get some details on a man called Tom Lyon, enlisted 1914 Sherwood Foresters

he is on a photo of a group of Foresters taken at Buxton, I have checked the M.I.C.s but not

come up with any thing wonder if he is on any of your lists.

Sorry for bothering you.

Regards Cliff.

Andy H would be able to provide an enlisment date for 518** number. I suppose the only problem might be is if he was placed with a training reserve Battn first and numbered TR/**** before being given his SF number when he was posted to the regiment. But his number might be too early for this not to be an issue.

I can't be too precise I'm afraid. The closest I have is 51874 enlisted 9/12/1915 in the Derby Scheme and was mobilised 13/3/1916. The bulk of the 5**** series seem to be men mobilised / conscripted in early-mid 1916.

I haven't forgotten you Mr H. I'm just getting sore fingers from all those lists :)

Please don't apologise. Your help has already been massively appreciated.

Andrew

Seeing this post reminded me of a pm I sent you a week or so ago. It concerned some work I was doing for someone on the Buffs forum. A relative had joined the Sherwood Foresters at Mansfield Colliery on 17 Aug 1914 with number 12597 and transferred to the RW Kents. I think the transfer was in the UK because there is no mention of the Sherwood Foresters on his MIC.

I thought this might be useful info for your database and wondered whether you could add any further info (other than SDGW/CWGC stuff).

By the way he was Frank Commons and he died as a Sgt with the 10th RWK. He had no 14/15 star.

Mick

Hi Cliff

I don't have any Tom Lyons listed on any of my rolls, but a couple of thoughts pop up

1) If he was (training?) in Buxton in late 1914 that might place him in the 2/6th, which were at the Empire Hotel from Nov 1914 to Feb 1915

2) Instead, could he be:-

58727 Thomas Lynes

17566 Thomas Lyth

BUT how about

3734/241196 Tom Lynam (who is definately a 2/6th Battn man)

cheers

Mike

p.s. any chance of posting (or sending) the group photo? there was a whole series of the 2/6th in Buxton published in 1914 and if this is simliar it would confirm the Battn

I have been trying to get some details on a man called Tom Lyon, enlisted 1914 Sherwood Foresters

he is on a photo of a group of Foresters taken at Buxton, I have checked the M.I.C.s but not

come up with any thing wonder if he is on any of your lists.

Hi Cliff, hope you are well.

I'm afraid I have no reference to a Tom Lyon (or Lyons). The MIC's only have three men named Lyon - Bertie, Richard and Robert J.

Would the Buxton group photo suggest a group of 6th battalion territorials?

I can't be too precise I'm afraid. The closest I have is 51874 enlisted 9/12/1915 in the Derby Scheme and was mobilised 13/3/1916. The bulk of the 5**** series seem to be men mobilised / conscripted in early-mid 1916.

So the chances are that they would have been enlisted into 'General Service' on attestation and then received their Notts & Derby Regimental number when they were sent to N & D Depot on mobilisation. So in these cases you may start to see discrepancies between enlistment/attestation/mobilisation date and the Regimental Number - worth remembering (mental note to me B) )

So in these cases you may start to see discrepancies between enlistment/attestation/mobilisation date and the Regimental Number - worth remembering (mental note to me B) )

Yes, a lot of them. This is the point at which the spreadsheet starts to go off the rails!

Seeing this post reminded me of a pm I sent you a week or so ago.

Michael, did I reply? I can't find the PM. Please accept my humble apologies if I haven't, and feel free to resend the PM or e-mail me.

Hi Cliff

I don't have any Tom Lyons listed on any of my rolls, but a couple of thoughts pop up

1) If he was (training?) in Buxton in late 1914 that might place him in the 2/6th, which were at the Empire Hotel from Nov 1914 to Feb 1915

58727 Thomas Lynes

17566 Thomas Lyth

BUT how about

cheers

Mike

p.s. any chance of posting (or sending) the group photo? there was a whole series of the 2/6th in Buxton published in 1914 and if this is simliar it would confirm the Battn

Hi Cliff

58727 Thomas Lynes

17566 Thomas Lyth

BUT how about

cheers

Mike