Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

Dot,

Steve suggests two survivors for consideration. I'll check the numbers against my spreadsheet later today and see what enlistment dates are likely for these two men.

Also I think your query is worthy of starting a new thread in the Soldiers section to elicit more feedback. I would include the photo if you can and any other details you know of. There's a danger that your question could get 'lost' within this one or not seen by someone who knows something about an aspect of it - Percy House for example.

Cheers,

Andrew

yes good idea

just to add 3024 Brailsford was from Fraspire (?) Road, Clay Cross - don't know if this rings any bells

Hi

Hope the below is useful

L/cpl Albert Fitzgibbon 13370 9th Bn Notts and Derby Regt - enlisted March 1915 - wounded at gallipoli 21st August 1915 - returned to blighty and then sent to the West Yorks

The above was mentioned in the local paper when he was wounded and MID, during the article it also mentions that his own father was Sgt G Fitzgibbon of the Sherwood Foresters although it doesn't mention battalion.

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for that. I have tried to acknowledge you a couple of times but the forum has been a bit 'awkward' for the last few of days and prevented me from doing so.

May I ask (please don't think I'm rude) but are you certain of that date? It's just that every number within a country mile of 133370 is coming up with a very early enlistment date, i.e August 1914. For example 13163 is 22 August 1914 and 13388 is 23 August 1914. I could offer more examples. Also, as one of the first batch of service battalions, the 9th was originally constituted almost exclusively from the earliest batch of volunteers.

I have a Forester, but information is scant so I don't know if it will help.

25168 Private Harry Kirkby of 10th battalion, son of Ada Turner Kirkby (possibly an illegitimate son) born Sheffield circa 1897. Still resident in Sheffield in 1901. His mother was still in Sheffield at the time of his death.

Pals tell me that he enlisted in Sheffield, but no date.

At the time of his death 28/7/18 he was resident in Wrawby, Lincolnshire, and married to my great aunt Sarah Ann (nee Britcliffe).

Jimothy,

Thanks. It's the enlistment dates that I'm most interested in for this project. By compiling a list of numbers against enlistment dates a system for suggesting likely dates of enlistment for men where this is unknown, such as Pte.Kirby, can be developed.

Soooo, if it's working, the number would suggest that Pte. Kirby enlisted in April 1915. Do you happen to know if he was born in April 1897? I would suspect from this projected enlistment date (if it's accurate) that he joined up as soon as he turned 18.

Andrew,

sorry I don't have any more info on Harry Kirkby. His d.o.b. of 1897 is by no means accurate - it may have been as early as 1895. I have only just started to research this man and, as more information comes to light, I will gladly share any relevant info here.

Please do - and good luck with it.

a few more to keep you busy :blink:

35920 Private George Cooke (enlisted 15.11.15 disc 29.11.18)

72222 Private James William Hanxwell (enlisted 30.8.15 disc 9.4.19)

43600 Private Francis Henry Dealtry 11th N & D (attest 7.2.16 mob 13.4.16 disc 1.7.18)

51874 Private Walter Culpitt 11th N & D (attest 9.52.15 mob 13.3.16 disc 23.1.18)

21033 Private William Skelton (enlisted 28.12.14 disc 6.7.17)

Andrew

Do you have enough info to have a guess at the enlistment date of

21838 George William Hogg, 16th service battalion?

It would be much appreciated if you did

regards

Geoff

Geoff,

Looks like an early January 1915 enlistment. Your chaps number is straddled by these that I know of (dates given as Year/Month/Date):

21297 - 1915, 01, 02 2nd Bn

21690 - 1915, 01, ?? 1st Bn

21830 - 1915, 01, ?? 9th Bn

21923 - 1915, 01, ?? 1st Bn

22024 - 1915, 01, 12 12th Bn

The January 1915 numbers on my spreadsheet seem to run (with the odd 'rogue') from 21297 to 22738. Obviously a busy month for the recruiting offices!

Cheers

Mike,

Thanks for those!

Mike,

Don't suppose you could clarify the typo on this one could you?! :)

51874 Culpitt (attest 9.52.15....

I see what you mean (must be a star date or something :D )

What you really want is:-

51874 Private Walter Culpitt 11th N & D (attest 9.12.15 mob 13.3.16 disc 23.1.18)

can also add:-

27418 Corporal William H Hardstaff enlisted 16.6.15, disc 11.10.17

Also, do you know what the 90*** to 98*** series could represent?

Your comments on the 7**** had me looking for trends in numberings. There are 25 men who died with 1/6th that have numbers in this range. They all died between April 1918 and October 1918 and very few are from Derbyshire

Could these be young conscripts??

Andrew,

This may be of help to you.I have the officer service record of a relative who was killed at the end of the war.Although he served with the RGA initially as a Gunner his medical examination form is dated 22/07/16 at Derby.It states that he was to join on enlistment the 6th Sherwood Foresters with a regiment number of 56481.

This is then crossed out out and replaced with No 4 Depot RGA with there own regiment number.

On 24.7.16 he is then enrolled at Derby into the RGA by by 2/Lt Chapman,Adjutant Depot ,Sherwood Foresters.

He was later commissioned in the RGA and was killed in September 1918.

However although he didnt join the SF it gives an indication of what number they were going to give him on that date !

Alan

Andrew,

Could I please ask you to have a stab at estimating a date of enlistment for 8488 Charles Coomber who went to France on 04/11/1914 as a Drummer with the 1st Battalion. Thanks.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

Ooops, sorry, I should have responded sooner.

My response is very vague here. The answer is sometime between 1900 and 1903! Unfortunately I am distinctly lacking in details for pre-war enlistments. However I have 6776 which is 1900, 9192 which is probably a 1903 enlistment and 9802 which is definitely a 1905 date.

I suppose, therefore, that 8488 is c.1902.

Alan,

Sorry for not registering your input either. That information is useful, thanks.

Also, do you know what the 90*** to 98*** series could represent?

Your comments on the 7**** had me looking for trends in numberings. There are 25 men who died with 1/6th that have numbers in this range. They all died between April 1918 and October 1918 and very few are from Derbyshire

Could these be young conscripts??

Mike,

On the first question - not a clue! I've only got one in that range, for the 16th battalion - enlistment August 1917.

On the second question - not a clue! (Bet you're impressed, eh?). But I would imagine your supposition is correct. The voluntary phase seems to cut off from about the beginning of the 67*** range. However, as Richard's help has pointed out, a lot of the 73***'s were men redesignated from other regiments, though I'm not sure if these men were battle-hardened or just new drafts being bumped around to make up the numbers upon arrival in France.

Andrew

thanks for getting back to me - 'orrible question to ask I know :(

but I wonder...............is it possible to use SDGW CD to find this out?

Can you do a search under Notts and Derby and use a wild card for the numbering ie 91***, 92*** and see what the earliest death date is?

my version won't let me do it unfortunately - hint hint :D

I suppose, therefore, that 8488 is c.1902.

Andrew,

Thank you very much for your reply and informed opinion. A check through the medal roll for the Queen's South Africa Medal might just be worthwhile!

Cheers

Gavin

No problem Gavin. If you ever get the answer please let me know - especially if I'm wrong!

Mike,

Searching SDGW in the way you suggested produces these results. I shall post them without any attempt at interpretation (I'm too tired!).

91053 - 27/09/1917 17th Bn (formerly ASC)

92252 – 16/09/1917 11th Bn (formerly ASC)

93993 – 15/09/1917 10th Bn

94011 - 15/09/1917 17th Bn (formerly Derbyshire Yeomanry)

95248 – 21/03/1918 16th Bn

96004 – 12/10/1917 10th Bn

97965 – 04/01/1918 9th Bn

98129 - 23/03/1918 2nd Bn

Any thoughts?

Hi

I am a little new to this so excuse me if I trample through any conventions here. I was intrigued by your comments regarding enlistment dates for Sherwood Foresters. I am trying to track down the enlistment date for Private 51830 Samuel Lissemore of 16th SF, k.i.a. 16th April 1918. Could you help?

Secondly, how is this worked out? Sequential numbers and known enlistent details I guess?

Many thanks

Dave