Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

They probably sent them to one of the TF battalions :D

tut tut - perhaps the Nottinghamshire lads would have taken them ;)

Here's Mycocks' MICs - same man, two different names ?

The bottom MIC does state 9/Notts & Derby

post-4619-1173819326.jpg

:rolleyes: Sure it is not Albert and harold Steptoe.

Thanks for the MICs ( I think)

I would suggest that Andrew's battalion may have had them :D

But then I remembered he is now in the land of the God's so I won't.

We are not worthy etc etc

signed

Pte G Brassington 9th Bn SF retired

I would suggest that Andrew's battalion may have had them :D

You are forgiven my son (but next time it's the firebolt). :P

Once again Mike, you are a source of great information.

We are not worthy etc etc

perhaps we could be his handmaidens B)

Hello Andrew,

I have entered prevousley entered my Grandfathers name 23867 Pte Albert Wilson .When he was killed he was with another man and here are his details hope they help you.

PTE A. SIMPSON

15th Battalion S.F

died 15th Oct. 1916

He was from Birmingham.

Unfortunately thats all I have at present.

Jeff

Here is a new one for you. My grandfather, Alexander John Richardson enlisted August 28th, 1914 in the 1st battalion Sherwood Foresters, regimental #14142. His MIC shows date of entry into France as Jan 5, 1915. He was in a draft of 50 men who joined the battalion as it came out of the front line on Jan 22nd, 1915. His notes state that he served in D company. Alexander transferred into A battalion of the tank corps (new regimental #77047) in approximately December, 1916.

Jeff & Husher - many thanks for the details.

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 2259 Serjeant

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

David Tanner

Enlisted 1st Sept 1914 as a private. According to Weetman's Histopry of the 8th SF he was a lieutenant

Tim

7523 Ernest Bentley served 26.2.1887 to 25.2.1908

re-enlisted 25.9.14 (from Reserve?) and served until 2.2.19

11277 Albert John Birch enlisted 4.2.1910 served with 1st & 2nd Battns

12937 Charles Booth enlisted 20.8.14 served with 9th Battn

122280 William Brassington enlisted 30.5.19

4683 James Bridgewater enlsited 8.6.1894 Derbyshire Regt

8739 John Brindley enlisted 15.4.1903 served 1st Battn disc 20.4.16 (Frabce 2.10.14 to 13.4.16)

WORTLEY, F Private 18113 09/08/1915 28 Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) United Kingdom II. H. 1. GREEN HILL CEMETERY

He was my great uncle KIA at Gallipoli , would he have been in the 9th Batt. ?

B)-->

QUOTE(PETE B @ Mar 20 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WORTLEY, F Private 18113 09/08/1915 28 Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) United Kingdom II. H. 1. GREEN HILL CEMETERY

Oh yes, Frank was indeed in the 9th Bn. There is an excellant book coming out soon (If I ever get the B****** thing finished :D ) The problem with 9th Bn is that the War Diaries did not start until July 1916 (or vanished)

stevem

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PETE B @ Mar 20 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Oh yes, Frank was indeed in the 9th Bn. There is an excellant book coming out soon (If I ever get the B****** thing finished :D ) The problem with 9th Bn is that the War Diaries did not start until July 1916 (or vanished)

stevem

There is a photograph of him in uniform somewhere in the family...I will dig it out !

Could you give me a brief resume of the reason for the 9th being there and the role they played in the Gallipoli campaign ?

B)-->

QUOTE(PETE B @ Mar 20 2007, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a photograph of him in uniform somewhere in the family...I will dig it out !

Could you give me a brief resume of the reason for the 9th being there and the role they played in the Gallipoli campaign ?

pm me your email address and I will dig something out. I am in 1918 mode at the moment and need to search for 1914/15!

stevem

Pete - looking at Wortley, date 09/08/1915. This must presumably be the entry into theatre date on the MIC, not his enlistment date? His number of 18113 suggests enlistment of 26 October 1914 (that's the date for 18095 and 18192 anyway).

Pete - looking at Wortley, date 09/08/1915. This must presumably be the entry into theatre date on the MIC, not his enlistment date? His number of 18113 suggests enlistment of 26 October 1914 (that's the date for 18095 and 18192 anyway).

It is the date he was killed

steve

Ah - of course, entry would have been earlier for the 9th wouldn't it! Brain storm.

Out of interest what's the usual date given for the 9th's originals?

Ah - of course, entry would have been earlier for the 9th wouldn't it! Brain storm.

Out of interest what's the usual date given for the 9th's originals?

It was actually formed on 24th August 1914.The 9th being the first SF Service battalion. The first 100 recruits came from the Derby Depot of the Regiment on 9 August 1914 - Reservists, TF ? Exactly a year later they fought their first battle. Technically I suppose it was born on 6th when the A.O. went out!!

So far i have only found a newspaper article of 26th august which states " .... derby and its immediate surroundings have contributed 900 men who are being rapidly equipped ...... Normanton barracks..... These men will form a new battalion of the Sherwood Foresters and will probably be known as the 9th."

The following day 27th it has "Ninth Battalion nearing completion ...... We understand that the 9th Bn...., newly raised in accordance with Lord Kitcheners request, numbers now nearly 1200 men"

By 1st Sept they had 10th/11th and 12th as well

Steve

Only four men in the 9th come within this range -

18095, 18112, 18113 all 9th men from start

18170 - 11th bn and then 9th later.

s

Andrew,

Joseph Arthur BACON / 91590 / 08 August 1917 / 7th reserve battalion

Enlisted at Derby.

He was my great grandads youngest brother. I have a copy of his records from Kew. They are quite difficult to read, but it appears that he transferred to a cyclist battalion of the East Yorks Regt on 14/12/1917 (doesnt say why), and finished the war with the DLI.

If you want any more info (home address etc) just let me know,

regards,

Chris