Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

Mick - many thanks for the contribution.

I have a couple of 'possible' enlistment dates taken from family members.

18629 L/Cpl Norman Butcher MM 1st Bn Stretcher Bearer kia 5/3/1917. His brother has enlisted on or about Nov 10th 1914.

19891 Pte Fred Limb MM 1st Bn Stretcher Bearer, His daughter gives September 1914

Not sure if the above helps or hinders!

The details are on my website www.ypressalient.co.uk under Norman Butchers letters and Fred Limb.

stevem

Hi Andrew,

A few years ago I was given access to a set of enlistment/discharge papers etc. for a man of the Notts & Derby as follows:

James William HODGSON enlisted at Halifax on 19 September 1916, and after a period in a Training Reserve Battalion served with the 1/5th Notts & Derbys (TF) as Private number 93663. Trade: core maker.

Born 1898, Sowerby Bridge, Yorks. Discharged 23 January 1919 after 1 year 359 days with the Colours and 133 days in the Army Reserve, in consequence of his re-enlistment under AO ?iv of 1919. Military skills: drummer. Re-enlisted at Beaurepaire, France, on 24 January 1919. Age 20 years 2 months. Unmarried. Won Military Medal in the attack on the King Street trench system near Le Hamel/le Touret on 20 August 1918 ( by coincidence, but confirmed from NA MM cards as LGaz. 24 January 1919). Two blue service chevrons.

Served a further 2 years 111 days with the 2nd Royal Sussex Regiment, as Private 6391664, discharged Hounslow 14 May 1921 on termination of engagement.

His NA medal card confirms award of BWM/VIC medals, and also that he served in the R.Sussex Regt as no.L/12702. Carries no mention of the MM.

Also earned a 46th Divisional "Mention" (small brown card) at some point.

Any use for your database?

Cheers,

LST_164

Steve,

Thanks for those two. Butchers fits in nicely with a date of 10/11/14.

For some reason I already had Limb, but his details match a group between (at least) 19869 and 20013 with September enlistment dates. This is a little curious because this small group are lost in a sea of November enlistments either side of their numbers. Ther must be a reason for this chronological blip but I don't know what it is.

LST - many thanks. The 9**** series is a dog's-breakfast of a sequence about which I have limited information, so this is particularly welcome.

but his details match a group between (at least) 19869 and 20013 with September enlistment dates. This is a little curious because this small group are lost in a sea of November enlistments either side of their numbers. Ther must be a reason for this chronological blip but I don't know what it is.

Andrew, I missed this first time around. The 200*** are a special series of numbers - will try to gather my thoughs and explain later, but briefly I think that they are ex-TF men that went in to some kind of 'holding pattern' before being sent back to TF and given a 6-digit number. I'm not sure this accounts for all of them but there is a definite trend with these numbers.

Just to add a slight twist to this thread - I was going to create a new post to improve my promotion prospects B) - but thought this was the best place in the end.

I'm trying to be efficient when I go to the NA and have devised this table to help me quickly gather info:-

post-4619-1169582248.jpg

Its work in progress so any editing would be much appreciated.

If you feel that this is intruding on your thread - then I am happy to start a new one :D

cheers

Mike

Andrew

George Arthur Dring enlisted 11-12-15 mobilised 20-1-16

transfered to reserve 17-2-19

His army no. according to the MIC and the inscription on his medals is 266823

however, his certificate for transfer to reserve, certificate of employment during war and a

protection and certificate of identity list him as 266832

swan

Andrew

George Arthur Dring enlisted 11-12-15 mobilised 20-1-16

transfered to reserve 17-2-19

His army no. according to the MIC and the inscription on his medals is 266823

however, his certificate for transfer to reserve, certificate of employment during war and a

protection and certificate of identity list him as 266832

swan

Do you have George Dring's family ? My Grandma was a Dring.

I also have a Dring relative in the 9th Bn (did not find out until after I started researching them!)

stevem

Swan,

Many thanks for those details - much appreciated.

LST - many thanks. The 9**** series is a dog's-breakfast of a sequence about which I have limited information, so this is particularly welcome.

What does a dog have for breakfast :D My cat gets a good kick. (RSPCA banging on door any minute)

Back to the serious business. I have found another newspaper article on one of my men -

22989 Private George Bailey born Chesterfield, abode Hasland. DoW 11/5/1917, Grevillers.

He had returned in March after being wounded on the Somme 25th Sept 1916.

He also had three brothers fighting.

Article has enlisted February 6th 1915.

stevem

Andrew, I missed this first time around. The 200*** are a special series of numbers - will try to gather my thoughs and explain later, but briefly I think that they are ex-TF men that went in to some kind of 'holding pattern' before being sent back to TF and given a 6-digit number. I'm not sure this accounts for all of them but there is a definite trend with these numbers.

Interesting thought. I can see your thinking.

As to your other point, I don't mind at all what you add to this thread as it is always helpful and interesting.

Steve - many thanks for the Bailey enlistment. Every addition is useful.

• 4 weeks later...
Steve - many thanks for the Bailey enlistment. Every addition is useful.

Pte Albert Daubney 7807 enlisted 7 Nov 1914 - 9th Bn. Boer War veteran with Queen's medal - 3 clasps, King's medal - 2 clasps. Died of wounds 5 October 1917. (Derby Daily Telegraph 27/10/1917). 37 years of age.

did I send -

23715 Private Fred Greaves VC - News article has enlisted 26 Feb 1915. Official papers have 27 Feb 1915.

stevem

From Ancestry.com's online Service Records:

Jesse Bird, 2161, 5 Sherwood Foresters, enlisted 17 Jun 1914 at Ripley, aged 27

Discharged medically unfit, 25 Sep 1914

and again

Jesse Bird, 3971, 2/5 Sherwood Foresters, enlisted 20 Feb 1915 at Alfreton, aged 27

Discharged 2 Mar 1915 (can't make out relevant part of KR)

Assuming same lad.

Same source:

Ernest Copeland Blackbourn, 4452, 3/6th Sherwood Foresters, aged 18 years & 9 months, enlisted at Chesterfield on 3 AUg 1915.

To France, 18 Mar 1916 (1/6th Sherwood Foresters)

Discharged 13 Jul 1916, as being under 19 years of age. At discharged 16 years & 9 months old.

Ernest Copeland Blackbourn, 4452, 3/6th Sherwood Foresters, aged 18 years & 9 months, enlisted at Chesterfield on 3 AUg 1915.

To France, 18 Mar 1916 (1/6th Sherwood Foresters)

Discharged 13 Jul 1916, as being under 19 years of age. At discharged 16 years & 9 months old.

Ohh thats nice a 6th Battn man :D - and I didn't have him on my roll

thanks Jim

My Grand father was in the Sherwoods.

He was 23867

Pte.Albert Wilson

15th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbys)

Attached to the 105th Trench Mortar Battery.

He joined in the September 1915 at Chesterfield.

He was Killed on the 15th Oct 1916 in action when the mortar he was working on exploded killing him and his a Pte Simpson from Smethick.

Hope this may be of help.

Jeff

Ohh thats nice a 6th Battn man :D - and I didn't have him on my roll

You'll have to start again..... :lol:

Blimey - loads of new data!

Many thanks Steve, Jim, Jeff and Kevin - it's all useful stuff.

Two brothers -

61032 Private Samuel Briggs, 2/5th Bn. Killed in action 21 March 1918. Enlisted 7 September 1916. (Chesterfield paper)

21801 Private Arthur Briggs, 9th Bn. died (SAD) 19 July 1918. enlisted 5th January 1915 (CM papers)

stevem

21801 Private Arthur Briggs, 9th Bn. died (SAD) 19 July 1918. enlisted 5th January 1915 (CM papers)

I've come across Arthur before, here are my notes:-

"Pte. Herbert Briggs, a resident of Lockford Lane. Herbert's brother Arthur (21801 - 9th Battalion S/For) was SAD by the British Army on 19th July 1918, aged 27. His crime - he overstayed his leave in England to marry his destitute girlfriend and the mother of his baby child. Arthur had previously been wounded in the Dardanelles."

Blimey - loads of new data!

Many thanks Steve, Jim, Jeff and Kevin - it's all useful stuff.

Hi Andrew

A while ago you looked up a Sherwoods record for me: 51830 Pt. Samuel Lissemore k.i.a. 16th April 1918. I know you were uncertain about an enlistment date range as you thought th '51' series was a "bit of a dogs breakfast."

I may prove my ignorance here (again) but I recall that some records show a date for attesting and some for enlisting. Is it possible that you or I am confusing attesting dates for enlistment dates (sometimes) and this is throwing out your logic thread when tracking down possible dates?

Don't think I put this across too well. I am not challenging your logic just a possible gremlin that may throw out your thinking. I have had similar challenges on basic genealogy. I've stopped taking some data as literal but just use as a guide? Anyhow, what is the difference between attesting and enlisting?

Good look and have you published your data on the web yet?

Regards

Dave

I've come across Arthur before, here are my notes:-

"Pte. Herbert Briggs, a resident of Lockford Lane. Herbert's brother Arthur (21801 - 9th Battalion S/For) was SAD by the British Army on 19th July 1918, aged 27. His crime - he overstayed his leave in England to marry his destitute girlfriend and the mother of his baby child. Arthur had previously been wounded in the Dardanelles."

He was not wounded on Gallipoli but sick and did not reappear with Bn until 3 Jan 1917. 29/1/17 - ill. 7/8/17 back with unit. Absent twice (at least whilst in hospital). Given leave 24/1/18 to 7/2/1918 - failed to return. Chucked his uniform/rifle away when in Sunderland. Moved to Scotland. Was going to give himself up the day after he was caught! When arrested he said he was a deserter from 3rd BN. Pleaded guilty to Losing by neglect his arms, clothing, equipment and regimental necessaries. Not guilty to deserting. Represented by a 9th Bn officer who was a solicitor. Desitute girlfriend and child - mentioned throughout his statement but his desertion does not seem to have helped her. He married her in Feb 1918 (apparently) but his Mother and family disowned him. She did have a job prior to the marriage. he says the child was born in January 1917 but if so how did she keep her job 'in service' Then he talks of his mother contacting him about his Father and Brothers death.

stevem