Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Men of the Royal Naval Air Service

hello Duncan, do you have any information on F37548 C H Potts O.S.3. RNAS. Cheers

Ask again ?

Ask again ?

Sorry I can't help as I have nothing on him over and above what is available at the National Archives under ADM188

Regards Duncan

Hi to one and all.

Another Shoreham man.

Charles Henry Butler, Pilot, U/T, RAeC Cert 902, 6-9-1914.

Thats all we have, any more info out there??

Tim.

If he was originally from Shoreham then I have learnt something new :D

His family business was in France though I don't have the address with me here at work, from memory I believe it was a paper mill or something similar. I believe he was normally referred to as "Charlie Butler from Paris".

The following is all I have on him here, at least I will be able to finish off the first line!!!

Born 5th August 1880, from ????????????

Joined the RNAS on 11th September 1914 as a Flight Lieutenant.

RAeC Certificate No.902 gained 6th September 1914.

No.3 Squadron from September 1914.

Posted to Dardanelles on 11th March 1915.

Wounded in right foot on 28th June 1915.

Recalled for Special duties at Westgate on 25th October 1915.

Admitted to Hospital with jaundice on 10th November 1915.

Admitted to Haslar Hospital with jaundice and colesystitis.

Admitted Haslar Hospital with recurrent enteritis on 9th February 1916, discharged as fit on 17th February 1916.

Commanding Officer of Westgate, later Manston, War Flight from 3rd April 1916.

Dunkerque on 30th January 1918.

No.9 Squadron Commanding Officer from 31st January 1918.

No.209 Squadron RAF Commanding Officer from 1st April 1918.

HQ NTB for 8th Wing from 8th May 1918 with rank of Temporary Lieutenant Colonel.

Mentioned In Despatches on 22nd March 1916 for “Meritorious work in air attack on Ostende, Zeebrugge and Bruges on February 11th, 12th and 16th”.

Mentioned In Despatches of V.A.C. Eastern Mediterranean on 14th March 1916 for “Meritorious service on the Gallipoli Peninsula”.

Mentioned In Despatches on 10th September 1917 for “Great gallantry in attacking hostile aircraft during a raid on England on 22nd August 1917”.

DSC gazetted on 14th March 1916.

DSO gazetted on 20th July 1917.

Bar to DSO gazetted on 11th August 1917.

Butler made 1 claim with the Manston War Flight.

Duncan.

Can you help me with any info on two men on my Shoreham Airport WW1 list? I think they are both RNAS.

William Beattie, No 79432? Special Duties Volunteer Reserve RNAS?

Ronald Portman Cannon, Pilot U/T, RAeC Cert 801 30-5-1914.

Any info will help.

Tim.

Duncan.

Can you help me with any info on two men on my Shoreham Airport WW1 list? I think they are both RNAS.

William Beattie, No 79432? Special Duties Volunteer Reserve RNAS?

Ronald Portman Cannon, Pilot U/T, RAeC Cert 801 30-5-1914.

Any info will help.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

William Beattie no trace, the number 79432 is definitely not RNAS nor does it look like an RNVR or RNR number

Cannon, R.P. Commissioned as a Flight Sub Lieutenant 11th Sept 1914

Flt Lt 07May1915

Trained at Shoreham and later at Central Flying School at Upavon

Was one of the four pilots chosen for the Freidrichshaven raid unit.

(Freidrichshaven a German airship factory on the German side of Lake Constance)

Broke tail skid in Avro 179 on take off at Belfort on 21st Nov 1914 and aborted sortie, which was the

Freidrichshaven raid

Was at Dover in 1915

Was at Dundee by Jan 1917

With No 6 Wing in Italy by June 1917

Still No 6 Wing until at least Mar1918

Presumed to be with 66 Wing RAF in Italy April 1918

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Hi Tim

I have a few snippets to add to Mike's post

Butler was at the EAC School at Eastbourne in July 1914 and then at the Pashley School at Shoreham, where he obtained his R Aero Cert. He later continued his training at the Central Flying School, Upavon in late 1914

Whilst serving in the Dardanelles campaign he carried out experiments in photo recconnaissence from April until at least June 1915

His single claim was a Gotha bomber on 7th July 1917 in Triplane N5424

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Duncan.

Thank you for the info very good, all helps with the big picture.

Tim.

Duncan.

Another Shoreham name in the RNAS?

Horatio Barber.

Have you any info on him? Was he RNAS?

Tim.

Duncan.

Another Shoreham name in the RNAS?

Horatio Barber.

Have you any info on him? Was he RNAS?

Tim.

Hi Tim

Sorry I have no trace of ant such person

Regards Duncan

Duncan.

Thank you for looking.

Tim.

Duncan.

Another name from the WW1 Shoreham list RNAS I think.

George.H.E. Cox, pilot at Shoreham some time 1916/17.

Can you help with info please?

Tim.

Duncan.

Another name from the WW1 Shoreham list RNAS I think.

George.H.E. Cox, pilot at Shoreham some time 1916/17.

Can you help with info please?

Tim.

Hi Tim,

No trace of a Cox,G.H.E, or indeed any Cox at Shoreham in my records, sorry to disappoint

Regards Duncan

Duncan.

No problem, Thanks for looking.

Tim.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Duncan

Please could you tell me whether your database include the RN, RM, RNR etc men who ended up in the RNAS or just straight F numbered ratings?

All the best

Per Ardua

Hi Duncan

Please could you tell me whether your database include the RN, RM, RNR etc men who ended up in the RNAS or just straight F numbered ratings?

All the best

Per Ardua

Hi,

My database includes everyone who was actively involved with the RNAS, including British Army attached, Belgian personnel involved with our Armoured Trains, French and Greek personnel who flew with us and anyone else relevant who I have managed to identify.

This database is not therefore a definitive one.

Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan

Thanks for letting me know. I was intrigued seeing how many of the 1914 Star RNAS men didn't have F numbers and wondered whether anyone had researched them.

Regards PA

Hi Duncan

Hope you can help in clarifying just what my grandfather did in the RNAS (and RAF). PO (Presuming Petty Officer) then Sgt William Munro Anderson, Service No. F14215 (RAF=214215). His navy record downloaded from NA states he was an 'ACM', does this mean Aircraftsman or Aircrewman. My mother recalls him being an Observer however my cousin has him down as groundcrew (armourer). He survived the war and died in 1986, aged 90.

He joined on 12th May 1916 and served at Eastchurch, Cranwell, Dunrirk and Vendome. Where and what he was trained on remains unclear but 12 May to 4 Jun, he is noted to be at 'President II' and 6th Jun to 13 Aug he is at 'Daedalus'. Would this be Crystal Palace and Cranwell?

Anything your could do to help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gus

I have information of virtually all men of the Royal Naval Air Service. This info varies from full name/official number up to very much more. These men would include attached RNVR officers and I am at present working on men of the RNVR Anti Aircraft Corps of the RNAS.

Would you have any information

Herbert Keable

Aircraft Mechanic Artificer First Class

F5044

Royal Naval Air Service

Regards and thanks

Curtis

Hi,

Do you have any information on:

Herbert Keable

Aircraft Mechanic Artificer First Class

F5044

Royal Naval Air Service

all the best and thanks

Curtis

Hi Curtis,

Have you downloaded his service register?Name Keable, Herbert

Official Number: F5044

Place of Birth: Sutton, Surrey

Dateof Birth: 04 February 1890

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

All the best

Per Ardua

Hi Curtis,

Herbert Keeble, Air Mechanic 1st Class

Enlisted 26May1915

RNAS trade engineer

RAF trade engine fitter

At Chingford 1917

Drafted from Chingford 1917 but no details known

Became 205055 Air Mechanic ist Class in RAF 1st April 1918

Was mentioned in the station magazine "The Chingflier" No 23 Vol 2 on December 1917

His service record can be downloaded from the National Archives under ADM88 as in previous post

I would appreciate any info you obtain from his service record or indeed elsewhere so that I can add the info to my database.

Regards Duncan.

Hi Duncan

Hope you can help in clarifying just what my grandfather did in the RNAS (and RAF). PO (Presuming Petty Officer) then Sgt William Munro Anderson, Service No. F14215 (RAF=214215). His navy record downloaded from NA states he was an 'ACM', does this mean Aircraftsman or Aircrewman. My mother recalls him being an Observer however my cousin has him down as groundcrew (armourer). He survived the war and died in 1986, aged 90.

He joined on 12th May 1916 and served at Eastchurch, Cranwell, Dunrirk and Vendome. Where and what he was trained on remains unclear but 12 May to 4 Jun, he is noted to be at 'President II' and 6th Jun to 13 Aug he is at 'Daedalus'. Would this be Crystal Palace and Cranwell?

Anything your could do to help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gus

Hi Gus,

I havn't much on your grandfather to add to his navy record. He was a Petty Officer Aircraftsman (POAC) His trade in both services was Instrument armourer. This means that he is unlikely that he was an observer. The title aircraftsman covered all non technical trades. Technical trades were mechanics although the distinction was a bit blurred, drivers for instance were mechanics whereas trades such as instrument armoures were not. He enlisted for the duration of the war and his daily pay as a Sergent mechanic in the RAF was six shillings. It is interesting that he was entered as a Petty Officer which suggests that he had some relevant experience otherwise he would have been entered as an ordinary aircraftsman.

President II would in his case be Crystal Palace, although it covered other places in addition. Daedalus was Cranwell.

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan

Thanks for letting me know. I was intrigued seeing how many of the 1914 Star RNAS men didn't have F numbers and wondered whether anyone had researched them.

Regards PA

Hi PA,

Yes I am at present researching the non F number men, which is a bit of a problem as they are not listed in the RAF Muster List. Most of the men L to Z who opted to return to the RN from the RAF in 1918-9 are listed on another list held at Yeovilton, otherwise the only source is AIR79, which is of course not online.

Some of the men on the 1914 Star list were serving in armoured cars and armoured trains and did not then continue with the RNAS but returned to sea service.

Incidentally I have just completed my research on the 3022 men of the RNVR Anti Aircraft Corps.

Regards

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...