Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Men of the Royal Naval Air Service

Can you help me to read this card ? :wacko:

Thank you !

Russian medals of Hadge

Hi Igor,

This reply is a mixture of info from the record card and my database.

Hedge,Ernest Frederick, was born on 29th January 1888 at Eastbourne, Sussex. He was a former motor driver.

He previously served in the East Surrey Regiment pre war. He enlisted in the 9th Battalion South Staffordshire Regt in 1914. He transferred to the RNAS for armoured car service on the 16th November 1915. Where he was rated Petty Officer Mechanic. He enlisted for the duration of the war. He probably served in the UK with the armoured car service until 30th September 1916. On the 1st October 1916 he joined the Russian Armoured Car Division in No 2 Squadron. His actual dates in Russia are unknown but he returned to the UK on 16th October 1917. He had been promoted Chief Petty Officer on the 20th September 1917. On return he went on leave from the 19th October 1917 duration unknown. He was commissioned in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Sub Leutenant on the 16th October 1917. This commission was terminated on the 22nd January 1918 on his transfer to the Army where he was commissioned as a Leutenant. He servedin Dunsterforce in Mesopotamia in No 8 Squadron in 1918. He was awarded the Silver Medal of St Anne as mentioned in his record although he also seems to have been awarded the Order of St Lazarus, which is the other medal shown. No further info on this man is known to me.

Hi do you have any information on F.30583 AC1 A Hopkins RNAS as I have his BWM but I have absolutely no information about this man

Thanks

Mark

Hi Manicafan

this man is on the Lichfield War Memorial

Welchman, Patrick 29.11.1918 aged 23

RAF 99th Squadron

Born Lichfield

Any more information available?

Thanks for checking

JPG

I have information of virtually all men of the Royal Naval Air Service. This info varies from full name/official number up to very much more. These men would include attached RNVR officers and I am at present working on men of the RNVR Anti Aircraft Corps of the RNAS.

Hello, could you tell me what you have on Arthur Witts B.14/7/1899 Chippenham service no. F42542. RNAS. Thankyou!

Chris

Hi Manicafan

this man is on the Lichfield War Memorial

Welchman, Patrick 29.11.1918 aged 23

RAF 99th Squadron

Born Lichfield

Any more information available?

Thanks for checking

JPG

Hi JPG,

Sorry no trace of any such man serving in RNAS. Only one such surname, with initials E.W. served

Regards Duncan

Hello, could you tell me what you have on Arthur Witts B.14/7/1899 Chippenham service no. F42542. RNAS. Thankyou!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Arthur Witts enlisted in RNAS on 30th Nov 1917 as an Aircraftsman 2nd class with the trade of labourer. He was transferred to the RAF as a private 2nd class on the 1st April 1918 as a Private 2nd class, when his official number would have changed to 242545 still as a labourer. Further details of his naval service can be obtained from the NA online under ADM 199 and RAF service at the NA only under Air 79.

Sorry thats all the info I have on this man. If you do obtain any further info I would appreciate it to add to my database.

Regards Duncan

Hi do you have any information on F.30583 AC1 A Hopkins RNAS as I have his BWM but I have absolutely no information about this man

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Albert Hopkins enlisted in the RNAS on 12th June 1917 as an Aircraftsman 2nd Class in the trade of labourer. He was born in Birmingham on the 10th April 1988.

He was automatically rated Aircraftsman 1st Class on completion of 6 months service on 12th Dec1917. He was transferred to the RAF as a Private 1st Class on the 1st April 1918 with the official No of 230583 still as a labourer. His service record can be obtained from the NA online in ADM 188 for his RNAS record and only at the NA for his RAF record under AIR 79. If you find any more info I would appreciate adding this to my database.

Regards Duncan

Hi Chris,

Arthur Witts enlisted in RNAS on 30th Nov 1917 as an Aircraftsman 2nd class with the trade of labourer. He was transferred to the RAF as a private 2nd class on the 1st April 1918 as a Private 2nd class, when his official number would have changed to 242545 still as a labourer. Further details of his naval service can be obtained from the NA online under ADM 199 and RAF service at the NA only under Air 79.

Sorry thats all the info I have on this man. If you do obtain any further info I would appreciate it to add to my database.

Regards Duncan

Hello Duncan, thanks for the info. I have a copy of Arthur's short service record that I got on the NA online documents, it has another chaps record on the same page as well. If you want ill email it to you.

When I get a chance to get the RAF records from Kew, ill be happy to send a copy of them on as well.

Thanks for your info.

Chris.

Hello Duncan, thanks for the info. I have a copy of Arthur's short service record that I got on the NA online documents, it has another chaps record on the same page as well. If you want ill email it to you.

When I get a chance to get the RAF records from Kew, ill be happy to send a copy of them on as well.

Thanks for your info.

Chris.

Hi Chris thank you very much. I have sent you a PM

Regards Duncan

Hi Igor,

This reply is a mixture of info from the record card and my database.

Hedge,Ernest Frederick, was born on 29th January 1888 at Eastbourne, Sussex. He was a former motor driver.

He previously served in the East Surrey Regiment pre war. He enlisted in the 9th Battalion South Staffordshire Regt in 1914. He transferred to the RNAS for armoured car service on the 16th November 1915. Where he was rated Petty Officer Mechanic. He enlisted for the duration of the war. He probably served in the UK with the armoured car service until 30th September 1916. On the 1st October 1916 he joined the Russian Armoured Car Division in No 2 Squadron. His actual dates in Russia are unknown but he returned to the UK on 16th October 1917. He had been promoted Chief Petty Officer on the 20th September 1917. On return he went on leave from the 19th October 1917 duration unknown. He was commissioned in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Sub Leutenant on the 16th October 1917. This commission was terminated on the 22nd January 1918 on his transfer to the Army where he was commissioned as a Leutenant. He servedin Dunsterforce in Mesopotamia in No 8 Squadron in 1918. He was awarded the Silver Medal of St Anne as mentioned in his record although he also seems to have been awarded the Order of St Lazarus, which is the other medal shown. No further info on this man is known to me.

Dunkan !

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

What is it - Order of st. Lazarus ? :mellow:

Italian award ?

Dunkan !

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

What is it - Order of st. Lazarus ? :mellow:

Italian award ?

Hi Igor,

No I believe it is a Russian award, but of course a White Russian award

Regards Duncan

Hi Igor,

No I believe it is a Russian award, but of course a White Russian award

Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan,

St. Lazarus was only in Italia ...

May be st. George cross ?

Can you send me copy of list ?

Thank you !

Regards,

Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Duncan.

Can you help please with any info on Capt James Alpheus "Jimmy" Glen, DSC & bar.

He was from Turtle Mountain, Manitoba, Canada. He was at Shoreham at the end of the war with the CAF.

Thanks Tim.

Hi Duncan.

Can you help please with any info on Capt James Alpheus "Jimmy" Glen, DSC & bar.

He was from Turtle Mountain, Manitoba, Canada. He was at Shoreham at the end of the war with the CAF.

Thanks Tim.

Hi Tim

There is an enormous amount of material on this man, including a researched booklet by a present day descendant G.S.Glen. I do not have contact details but the Fleet Air Arm might be able to help as I know that they hold a copy of this booklet as well as a great deal of other material.

Regards Duncan

Duncan.

Thank you for that, off to the FAA I go! I will give Yeovilton a go.

Thanks.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

i am researching the Purton War memorial ( As you may of seen , i have been bugging many others !!!)

A couple of requests please ,

1, Anything else on this chap who was born in the village ( details from CWGC & SDGW )

CPO Goeffrey Charlton Paine Rumming ( Born Purton 2/12/1888 )

CGM, mentioned in despatches

F/813, H.M.S. "President II.", Royal Naval Air Service

who died age 29 on 04 November 1917 ( Died of wounds received )

Medaille Militaire. Son of William and Mary Nellie Rumming, of "Capenor," Portishead, Bristol. Wounded while attacking Turkish trenches in an armoured car on Gallipoli.

Remembered with honour

CALNE (CURZON STREET) CEMETERY

&

This chap is listed as returning to the village after the war

Royal Naval Air Service S L Kibblewhite

Any help is most gratefully recieved

Regards

Bob lloyd

bob.mech00@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Duncan

Can you help with any information on the following please?

Lt Henry William Adams, k 4/7/18, RAF

Flt Sub Lt Eric James Kershaw Buckley, k 28/9/17

Many thanks

Aneurin

Hi Duncan,

Rumour has it that this chap Lieutenant/ Captain W R Dainty served with the Royal Naval Air Service. Anything on him at all please?

TIA

Hi Duncan

Could you check for ROACH, Percy. He was a Private, RMLI PLY 979/S, therefore I don't think he will be on your data but just want to rule out the possibility that he may have been one of the few 'flying marines' attached to the RNAS.

Kind regards, Mark

The documents of Percy Roach are at the FAAM:

Ply/979(S); ROACH, P; Enlisted 01/06/1915; KIA 17/02/1917; d.o.b. 31/01/1896; p.o.b. BRISTOL; EX-RNVR - Bristol Z/866

He transferred from RNVR to the RM Cyclist Company RND 27/07/1915 and served with the RND until he was killed on the Ancre. No connection with the RNAS.

The documents of Percy Roach are at the FAAM:

Ply/979(S); ROACH, P; Enlisted 01/06/1915; KIA 17/02/1917; d.o.b. 31/01/1896; p.o.b. BRISTOL; EX-RNVR - Bristol Z/866

He transferred from RNVR to the RM Cyclist Company RND 27/07/1915 and served with the RND until he was killed on the Ancre. No connection with the RNAS.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Mark.

Hi Duncan,

Rumour has it that this chap Lieutenant/ Captain W R Dainty served with the Royal Naval Air Service. Anything on him at all please?

TIA

Hi TIA

William Reginald Dainty

Native of Mansfield Woodhouse, Notts

Flt Sub Lt 8th Aug 1915

R Aero Club Cert No 1992 on 6th Nov 1915 at Chingford

In HMS Excellent 8th Aug1915 - 3rd Sep 1915

At Chingford 4th Sep 1915 - 13th Dec 1915

At Calshot 14th Dec 1915 - 3rd Feb 1916

In HMS Vindex 4th Feb 1916 - 7th Apr 1916

At Dover 8th Apr 1916 - 2nd Nov 1916

In HMS Manxman 3rd Nov 1916 - 28Jan1917

Commission as FSL terminated 3rd Jun 1917

Appointed as Lt [RNVR] 4th Jun 1917

Thats all I have on him

Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan

Can you help with any information on the following please?

Lt Henry William Adams, k 4/7/18, RAF

Flt Sub Lt Eric James Kershaw Buckley, k 28/9/17

Many thanks

Aneurin

Hi Aneurin

Adams, Henry Williams, FSL

At Vendome Dec1916/Jan1917

Thats all I have on him

Buckley, Eric James Kershaw, FSL 16Jul1917

A native of Tonbridge, kent

At Eastchurch 5th Aug 1916 - Sep 1916

At Cranwell 18th Nov 1916 - 08Mar1917

At Walmer Jun 1917

No 4 Sqdn 16th Sep 1917

No 11 Sqdn Jul/Aug 1917

Killed in collision 6m N of Nieuport 26th Sep 1917

Thats all I have on him

Regards Duncan

Hiya

i am researching the Purton War memorial ( As you may of seen , i have been bugging many others !!!)

A couple of requests please ,

1, Anything else on this chap who was born in the village ( details from CWGC & SDGW )

CPO Goeffrey Charlton Paine Rumming ( Born Purton 2/12/1888 )

CGM, mentioned in despatches

F/813, H.M.S. "President II.", Royal Naval Air Service

who died age 29 on 04 November 1917 ( Died of wounds received )

Medaille Militaire. Son of William and Mary Nellie Rumming, of "Capenor," Portishead, Bristol. Wounded while attacking Turkish trenches in an armoured car on Gallipoli.

Remembered with honour

CALNE (CURZON STREET) CEMETERY

&

Hi

I have sent you a PM on your query but something odd happened and you have hopefully received it in two bits. If not let me know and I will repeat it

This chap is listed as returning to the village after the war

Royal Naval Air Service S L Kibblewhite

Any help is most gratefully recieved

Regards

Bob lloyd

bob.mech00@tiscali.co.uk