Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Men of the Royal Naval Air Service

Hi Jostrum,

Not much I'm afraid but please note he was F31290 Enlisted as a AC2 19th July 1917

Promoted to AC1 on 19th Dec 1917 (after 6 months service)

Became a Pte1 RAF 231290 on 1st Apr 1918

His trade in both services was as a labourer

Regards

Duncan

Cheers for replies on Pougher and Fraser, Duncan.

Rgds Peter :D

Duncan

thanks very much for your answer

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi any information on F10673 AM2 E J Elleman RNAS injurd at Dunkirk 1917

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark the only thing I can add to ADM188 is that he was an aeroplane rigger ans he was severly wounded at Dunkirk February 1917

His wounding is mentioned in the Medical Officers Journal Dunkirk A/C Depot & No 1 Wing ADM 101/441 but I can't lay my hands on the detail.

hello, have you anything on Herbert Thompson?

Nick

Sorry Nick no trace under either Thomson or Thompson

Duncan

Do you have anything on Sidney ROBERTS, J4458 and particularly his RAF number?

Many thanks

Per Ardua

• 2 months later...
Duncan do you know the nature of the RNAS base at Kilwa in East Africa? My grandfather ran an ASC stores depot attached to the RNAS there, thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

Sorry I have no info

Regards

Duncan

hi Manifican,

May i ask to see if you have any info on a E C Knivett RNAS....

Many thanks, Donnie

Hi Donnie,

Edward Charles Knivett AC1 F16599 served in RNAS as a labourer No info on his RAF service

Sorry to disappoint

Regards

Duncan

JOHN CHARLES NEWMAN RNAS FELIXSTOWE

I am researching names on the War Memorials for Trimley St Mary and Trimley St Martin and can find no details for John Chas Newman on the CWGC site for him, but have found his grave in the Trimley St Martin churchyard.

The inscription reads:-

John Charles Newman who was killed at the RNAS Felixstowe by ememy aircraft July 14th (or may be the 4th) 1917 aged 46 years.

Can anyone help with further details of John Charles Newman or of any enemy attacks on RNAS Felixstowe

Hi Manifican,

Do you have anything on Charles Reginald Mills, F37177? His middle name was actually Rignold but it is inevitably "corrected" to Reginald in official records

Thanks

Robert

• 1 month later...

I regret to report to the GWF that Duncan, a.k.a. manicafan, died suddenly on Boxing Day. His knowledge of the RNAS and willingness to help those researching this field can by judged from the success of this thread. He will be sadly missed. Perhaps Mods could now close this thread because Duncan's expertise is no longer available to us?

Thankyou for alerting us to this sad news horatio. Our respects go to Duncan's family.

RIP