Hi Duncan

Perce here again

can you see if these 2 boys show in the lists

Foster G S 26069 AC1 RNAS

Cathcart S 208528 PO RNAS

Cheers

Perce

Hi Duncan

I posted this picture on another thread and Horatio thought you may be able to tell me more about him. If you can it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Phil Henry

post-14229-1179262786.jpg

Would be grateful for the service number and medals to Flight Sub Lieutenant Eric William Busby. I'm guessing he would only have BWM and Victory medals as he was only 19 when he died in mid 1917. Any info gratefully accepted. Thanks

Alan Busby

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Duncan

I posted this picture on another thread and Horatio thought you may be able to tell me more about him. If you can it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Phil Henry

Hi Phil Henry,

Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been on holiday. I have quite a lot on Helbert so I think it would be best if you sent me a PM so that I can mail it to you

Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan

Perce here again

can you see if these 2 boys show in the lists

Foster G S 26069 AC1 RNAS

Cathcart S 208528 PO RNAS

Cheers

Perce

Hi Perce,

Sorry I have bbe so slow in replying but I have been on holiday.

Cathcart, Samuel enlisted as an Air Mech 1st Class Off No 8528 on 1st October 1915

He became an Air Mech 1st Class in the RAF on 1st April 1918 Off No 208528

He was a driver in the RNAS and a driver (petrol) in the RAF

I can find no trace of him being a PO

Foster,George Sowden, enlisted as an Aircraftsman 2nd Class Off No 26069 on the 18th Feb 1917

He became an Aircraftsman 1st Class on the 18th Aug 1917

He became a Clerk 2nd Class in the RAF 1st Apr 1918 Off No 226069

He was a writer in the RNAS and a clerk in the RAF

He is mentioned twice in the station magazine for Chingford in the Nov 1917 and Dec1917 issues.

This says that he was a member ob a Concert Paqrty known as the Ching-Boys Concert Party.

They gave their first performance at Enfield in front of an audience of wounded soldiers from Elm House and Bush Hills hospitals

No date is given but obviously before 11th Nov 1917.

They gave their first performance at Chingford on Friday 12th Nov 1917 in the YMCA in front of a large audience including the Commanding Officer.

George not only sang but was part of the quartette.

Sadly I have no further information. I have sight of virtually all the Chingfliers up to the end of the war but no further mention has been found. If you have anthing you can add to the stries of either of these men I would love to add this to my data base.

Regards Duncan

Hi Manicafan

On a local Church Roll of Honour i have the name Harry Gooder RNAS.There is no rank or any other details but iam sure he wasnt a casualty.

Do you have any other info please?

Thanks

Ady

Hi Duncan

Tried to pm you my e-mail but your in box is full so i`ll try again in the next few days.

Regards

Phil Henry

Hi Duncan.

Another name from the Shoreham list, Norman Sholto Douglas.

The LG has him as Flight Sub-Lt from 2-10-1914, and we think he was at Shoreham about this time.

Do you have any info on him please?

Tim.

Hi Duncan.

Another name from the Shoreham list, Norman Sholto Douglas.

The LG has him as Flight Sub-Lt from 2-10-1914, and we think he was at Shoreham about this time.

Do you have any info on him please?

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Douglas,N.S. Born 20Jan1895. A native of Whitekirk nr. Leeds. Royal Aero Cert No 867 on 11th Aug 1914 at Bristol School, Brooklands

At Eastchurch Aug 1914: At Dundee Nov 1914: At Calshot Nov 1914: At Dardanelles Feb1915: At Eastchurch Jan1916: At Westgate Jun1916: No 5 Sqdn May1917: At Felixstowe Dec1917: Malta Apr1918: WiA 5th May1915 Dardanelles: MiD's on 17th Nov 1917, 1st Apr 1918 &1st Jan 1919:

Flt Sub Lt 2nd Oct 1914: Flt Lt 31st Dec 1914: Flt Cdr 30th Jun 1916: SCdr 31st Dec 1917 Maj (RAF) Still serving post war listed as Sqdn Ldr 1st Jul 1926:

Regards Duncan

Hi Manicafan

On a local Church Roll of Honour i have the name Harry Gooder RNAS.There is no rank or any other details but iam sure he wasnt a casualty.

Do you have any other info please?

Thanks

Ady

Hi Ady, Very little I'm afraid. Can confirm that a Harry Gooder enlisted as a Ldg Mech F7902 on 24th Aug 1915 for the duration of the war:

Promoted PO Mech 1st Nov 1917: Trade a draughtsman

Became Sgt [RAF] 207902 on 1st April 1918, still classified as a draughtsman. As far as I am aware he survived the war.

Sorry, but thats all I have on him.

Would be grateful for the service number and medals to Flight Sub Lieutenant Eric William Busby. I'm guessing he would only have BWM and Victory medals as he was only 19 when he died in mid 1917. Any info gratefully accepted. Thanks

Alan Busby

Hi Alan,

I need to check a few facts, should have an answer on Thursday next.

Regards Duncan

Duncan,

Just in case you have not got this information.

Ingolstadt prisoner of war camp. Report of a visit during November 1915.

"In Fort VIII Squadron Commander Edward Briggs, RNAS....is the only British officer, but he stated expressly that he wishes to remain where he is, as he thinks that, under existing conditions he is able to employ his time more profitably than he could elsewhere. There has been some misunderstanding about Lieutenant Commander Briggs' military rank, and as yet he has received only the allowance paid to a subaltern. The matter is being cleared up, however, and I was told he would probably soon receive the full amount to which his rank entitles him, including back pay."

Doug

Duncan

Do you have anything on the following three men all of whom survived the war

Ft Lt Michael Birkbeck

Lt Geoffrey Hoare

R. A. Reid

I have a little information on each but nothing on their serviceso anything would be a bonus. They all went to a local school

Thanks Hambo

Duncan.

Thank you for the N, S, Douglas info.

Tim.

Hi Duncan

thanks very much for the help-If I get anything on any RNAS boys will drop you a line

Cheers

Perce

Duncan

Do you have anything on the following three men all of whom survived the war

Ft Lt Michael Birkbeck

Lt Geoffrey Hoare

R. A. Reid

I have a little information on each but nothing on their serviceso anything would be a bonus. They all went to a local school

Thanks Hambo

Hi Hambo,

Birkbeck,M. Sub Lt [RNVR] 24th Nov1914: Lt [RNVR] 27th Mar 1915: Flt Sub Lt 9th Jul 1915: Fl Lt 30th Jun 1917: Awarded Royal Aero Cert No 1876 on 31st Aug 1915 at Eastchurch: No 1 Sqdn Sep 1915: Sick 29th Jul 1916 & Sep1916: Appointment terminated 22nd Aug 1917:

Hoare,G. No trace

Reid,R.A. 2nd Lt [RM] : Flt Sub Lt 20th Mar 1915: Flt Lt 1st Apr 1916: Served in Flanders as a motor owner driver in Royal Marines in 1914: At Roehampton Polo ground under training as a kite balloon pilot Feb1915: (One of the very first class of naval trained kite balloon pilots) No 1 Kite Balloon Section Mar1915: Embarked in HMS Manica the first kite balloon ship at Birkenhead Mar 1915: At Gallipoli in HMS Manica Apr 1915: At the Crystal Palace by Jun 1916: At Kirkwall Sep 1916: Awarded 1914 Star: OBE gazetted 1st Jan 1919:

I think he may have been a pre-war stockbroker. I'm interested in the whole story of Birkbeck and Reid's lives so would appreciate any further info you have on them.

Regards Duncan

Duncan

Many thanks all I have is the following which is extracted from the Hazelwood School (Limpsfield Surrey) magazine where they both went to prep school

Reid R.A. Royal Naval Air Service

He left Hazelwood in the summer of 1899 for Wellington College and in 1906 he went to Ceylon as a tea planter and was married in 1910

In 1914 he was part of the Royal Naval Division at Dunkirk and by 1915 was in charge of the captive observation balloon section in the Dardanelles. Invalided home from the Dardanelles in late 1915, he was moved to Yorkshire co-ordinating the construction of sheds for air ships.

Haven't checked this against what you've given me yet except to say that the author was not always accurate

Birkbeck, Michael Flight Lieutenant Royal Naval Air Service (Scott Maxim Section) he left Hazelwood in the spring of 1902 for Eton

having checked the Eton roll there is no metion of him so this may be incorrect, don't know what a Scott Maxim section is but am hoping you do!

Thanks for your help Hambo

Duncan

Many thanks all I have is the following which is extracted from the Hazelwood School (Limpsfield Surrey) magazine where they both went to prep school

Reid R.A. Royal Naval Air Service

He left Hazelwood in the summer of 1899 for Wellington College and in 1906 he went to Ceylon as a tea planter and was married in 1910

In 1914 he was part of the Royal Naval Division at Dunkirk and by 1915 was in charge of the captive observation balloon section in the Dardanelles. Invalided home from the Dardanelles in late 1915, he was moved to Yorkshire co-ordinating the construction of sheds for air ships.

Haven't checked this against what you've given me yet except to say that the author was not always accurate

Birkbeck, Michael Flight Lieutenant Royal Naval Air Service (Scott Maxim Section) he left Hazelwood in the spring of 1902 for Eton

having checked the Eton roll there is no metion of him so this may be incorrect, don't know what a Scott Maxim section is but am hoping you do!

Thanks for your help Hambo

Hi Hambo,

The Scott Maxim was a Scott motor cycle and sidecar armed with a Maxim machine gun and crewed by 2 men. There were in fact complete motor cycle machine gun squadrons in the RNAS.

Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan.

Can you help with another Shoreham man please?

William Henry Elliott.

He is not in "The Sky" or "Communiques". I did find him in the LG for 2 /7/15 to be Flight Lt. RNAS.

Tim.

Hi Duncan.

Can you help with another Shoreham man please?

William Henry Elliott.

He is not in "The Sky" or "Communiques". I did find him in the LG for 2 /7/15 to be Flight Lt. RNAS.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

William Henry Elliott, born 21st Sept 1885. A native of Horsham. Awarded R Aero Cert No 706 on 22nd Nov 1913 at Shoreham. Entered the rnas as a Flt Sub Lt on 7th Nov1914. Flt Lt 25th June 1915. Flt Cdr 31st Dec 1917. At Eastchurch Nov1914. At Killingholme Jan 1915 - Feb 1916. In Mesopotamia Feb1916. Returned to UK Sep 1916 At Eastchurch Feb1917 & Mar1918>Crashed on t/off Immingham in 891 in Dec1914. Made forced ldg Stallingborough Marshes in 897 from Killingholme 12th Jan 1915. Overturned on landing in with CPO Roberts in 1055 at Killingholme 16th Apr 1915. Flew a home defence sortie from Killingholme in Sopwith Scout 1071 on 15th Jun 1915.

Thats all I have on him

Regards Duncan

Alan Busby

Hi Alan,

Sorry I,ve been so slow but I,ve been trying to find his record card without success. He was born in Calcutta, India but by 1916 he was a native of Selly Hill, Birmingham. He was awarded his R Aero Club cert No 3996 on the 10th Dec 1916. He entered the RNAS in Jun 1916 and was a Flt Sub Lt 5th Jul 1916

He was at Chingford in Aug 1916 & Jan1917. He joined No 4 Sqdn in Apr 1917 where he served until his death. He shared a claim on a Gothabomber 15m N of Westende on 25th May 1917. He was shot down near Ramscapelle in Camel N6361 and killed on 1oth Jul 1917 at about 5 50 pm. He is buried in Adinkerke Churchyard Extension, Belgium

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Duncan.

Top man thank you for the info on W H Elliott.

Tim.