Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Kevin,

to be a professional archeologist You need an university degree.

Cnock

Norman,

You are right about the absence of current details, but I just stick to the facts.

Others like the Diggers are better qualified to give more info.

Cnock

Guest tafski
Norman,

You are right about the absence of current details, but I just stick to the facts.

Others like the Diggers are better qualified to give more info.

Cnock

Cnock

very correct in what you say the de diggers are better qualified to give more info and i am sure in the fullness of time and when approriate they will

Also if they do need the support they will ask,but at present what ever the dispute is it is a matter for the belgian authoritys to sort out

Tafski

Guest KevinEndon

Should the diggers put out a notice asking for a professional archaeologist to come and help with their digging I can imagine the list of volunteers would be quite long.

Fingers crossed Frans pops on and lets us know where this is going.

Kevin

Should the diggers put out a notice asking for a professional architect to come and help with their digging I can imagine the list of volunteers would be quite long.

My feeling is that the Belgian authorities would still require an archaeologist.

I don’t think a petition on a forum is the good way to handle this case, and it wouldn’t have any effect eider. It would be the same as opening a petition for someone who was cot for speeding, even when his cause was noble.

I think that the best thing we can do as a forum to help the Diggers, is try to convince them to work in accordance with the Belgian legislation, to ask a licence to do excavations, to work under supervision of the archaeological service of the Flemish government, to make excavation reports, finds- inventories, to map and georef all traces …..

If other peoples of organisations succeed to work like that, why wouldn’t the Diggers be able to work like that? Why should they prefer to keep on working in the illegality ? I’m sure they can do it on the proper way, and with a little support of a forum like this, it must work. :closedeyes:

Guest tafski

I think that the best thing we can do as a forum to help the Diggers, is try to convince them to work in accordance with the Belgian legislation, to ask a licence to do excavations, to work under supervision of the archaeological service of the Flemish government, to make excavation reports, finds- inventories, to map and georef all traces …..

If other peoples of organisations succeed to work like that, why wouldn’t the Diggers be able to work like that? Why should they prefer to keep on working in the illegality ? I’m sure they can do it on the proper way, and with a little support of a forum like this, it must work. :closedeyes:

Who says the de diggers dont work to a license ? and i am sure they do work in the proper way,

Tafski

Who says the de diggers dont work to a license ? and i am sure they do work in the proper way,

Tafski

Tafski,

If there was a licence there wouldn’t be a process undertaken against the Diggers, by the Flemish government. Logical isn’t it? :huh:

to be a professional archeologist You need an university degree.

Though 9 out of 10 pro archaeologists are graduates, a degree isn't always necessary. (talking UK here, Belgium might be different?).

dave.

Tafski,

If there was a licence there wouldn't be a process undertaken against the Diggers, by the Flemish government. Logical isn't it? :huh:

The way I read it is that they have always operated under a license. Unfortunately, recent changes in legislation has rendered their current license obsolete. A mere administrative oversight which has been brought to the attention of the authorities in a possibly slightly underhand way. (That's just the way I read it and doesn't necessarily represent my opinion - not that I have anything to do with the situation and so, don't necessarily qualify for an opinion).

Dave

I don't think a petition on a forum is the good way to handle this case, and it wouldn't have any effect

Totally agree.

If de Diggers need support from this forum (and how can a forum such as this give a credible "character reference" anyway when only a mere handfull of the membership actually know them???), as has been said, I'm sure they'll ask. As to exactly why they'd ask, is another question though, especially when there are so many official bodies and organisations out there to seek assistance from (I can't imagine an internet discussion forum (for that's all we are at the end of the day!) carrying much clout to be honest!).

dave

The way I read it is that they have always operated under a license. Unfortunately, recent changes in legislation has rendered their current license obsolete. A mere administrative oversight which has been brought to the attention of the authorities in a possibly slightly underhand way. (That's just the way I read it and doesn't necessarily represent my opinion - not that I have anything to do with the situation and so, don't necessarily qualify for an opinion).

Dave

I’m sorry Dave, that’s maybe what you read, or what has been written. But we have to be honest, no government will pull you in front of court for a small administrative mistake, if you haven been correct all those years before.

If a government gives you two times a warrant in two years time, and you still refuse to follow the rules, or put yourself in accordance with the active law, you will not be surprised if the government charge you.

Of course you can always say that it’s a bad government, with bad laws and bad officers and bad judges and ……… But why doesn’t that government charge other organisations who does the same type of projects? Why do ones put thyself in accordance with the jurisdiction and others not?

"no government will pull you in front of court for a small administrative mistake"

Do you live in the 21st century United Kingdom?

Where you can get a police record for slightly overfilling your dustbin!!!!

I have no idea of the rights and wrongs in the Diggers case in Belgium, but I have a healthy mistrust of all governments in particular local ones as they often will have their own agenda not always to the benefit of those they are meant to serve.

quote: 'welshdoc' date='Jun 2 2008, 03:47 PM' post='932084' "Do you live in the 21st century United Kingdom?"

Is there an EU directive at the bottom of this then :lol: ?

NigelS

I have a healthy mistrust of all governments in particular local ones as they often will have their own agenda not always to the benefit of those they are meant to serve.

You fail to see that the primary reason for local government is to serve itself. It's the perfect machine; it creates its own inertia. If there is no problem to solve; create one!

As for the Diggers, hopefully their past record will count for something when the boxes are ticked and a bit of common sense will be applied.

If a government gives you two times a warrant in two years time, and you still refuse to follow the rules, or put yourself in accordance with the active law, you will not be surprised if the government charge you.

Of course you can always say that it’s a bad government, with bad laws and bad officers and bad judges and ……… But why doesn’t that government charge other organisations who does the same type of projects? Why do ones put thyself in accordance with the jurisdiction and others not?

Unfortunately I could not read an answer on my questions, in the last replies. I’m afraid we are a little off the center of the case.

Guest tafski

[

If there was a licence there wouldn’t be a process undertaken against the Diggers, by the Flemish government. Logical isn’t it? :huh:

er so you are saying they have never had a license???

tafski

Can I say, as an ex-Borough Councillor, that I find Mark Cable's view intensely cynical.

And true.

er so you are saying they have never had a license???

tafski

Did I wrote that, tafski?

Did you read that in my posts?

I will not explain you the whole dossier. A forum is not the place to do that. I’m sure you know very well (or you should know), as the coordinator and man behind the sell of Diggercaps and Diggerpins, how the situation is. I fully understand and respect your position, and the fact that the actual court case is bad news in an economic view. But those are the facts we have to deal with.

Let us wait is in all serenity and with all respect tell tomorrow, and hear what the judge will decide.

Like it or not ,the law (new law or not) is the law, let us wait and see the outcome. Peter

Were you at the Court Case this morning dugout and have you a vested interest in the court case.

John

Were you at the Court Case this morning dugout and have you a vested interest in the court case.

John

I was not, john.

I also as do not considered as cause party in this legal procedure.