Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Thanks Frans. I wonder if troops would have been as happy behind breastworks as in a full trench?

Strange to see those very well preserved duckboards - my Great Uncle served with the Rifle Brigade in this general area prior to his death in Feb 1916. I wonder if his feet trod those boards?

Another set of amazing pics Frans. Never ceases to amaze me what you guys find. I so hope you will be around in April when i'm in your area

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's all gone silent didn't find them when i was over in Ypres area

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

There appears to be more information on this site.....

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=14629

But it requires some translation for the English speakers, I wish I could translate but thats beyond my limited talents

regards

Tom

Followed the link - what's that all about then??

"Het is iets wat ik in de krant gelezen heb van een week geleden: blijkbaar is er een proces opgestart tegen de Diggers voor illegale opgravingen. Op dit forum, noch op www.wo1.be wordt hieraan enige aandacht besteed. Kan er iemand van de Diggers een woordje uitleg geven hieromtrent? Ik zou bijv. ook graag eens weten wie die rechtzaak heeft opgestart en waarom precies"

Guys

There is seemingly a 'process' being undertaken against de Diggers because of illegal excavations but the poster AOK4 is not sure what and by whom.

Carl

Thanks Carl, when I saw the postings I got the impression that there was something formal going, on but lost as to what it was.

I think this explains the lack of information on De Diggers over the last few weeks, I hope it can all be resolved amicably.

Tom

The following is a "Babelfish" translation of an article mentioned in http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=14629

The original article can be seen at http://www.archeonet.be/?p=2832

The English is somewhat imprecise in places, but I think the general meaning is clear.

The case is to be heard on June 9th 2008

Regards,

Martin

13 May 2008 - Johan

For three decades the Diggers have investigated the Ieperse front line finished in search of vestiges of the first world war. The select group, under the guidance of Patrick Van Wanzeele, digs up Saturday still each niet-ontplofte projectiles and leaking gasgranaten. By an adaptation of the heritage decree the ammunition is however considered as a component of the Flemish patrimony, thus it sounds in the Nieuwsblad. After a complaint the Diggers must justify themselves for the court of Ieper for the implementation of illegal unearthings.

The complaint proves come from the environment from other amateur archaeologists and goes still a step further: the Diggers onprofessioneel work would will sell and oorlogsrelicten to tourists. Diggersvoorman Patrick Van Wanzeele react furieus: Seized, he emphasises total from air. We work according to the notebook. For the ophaling of found blindgangers (boom or grenades which have not exploded, nvdr) we integrate the ammunition opruimingsdienst DOVO. She ensures safe and harmless destruction. And if we find material rests of soldiers, we inform immediately the police force.

Van Wanzeele suspects that envy is due to the basis of the complaint: We felt hang the bui already then we responses caught of envious colleague. Up to for some years (former) the institute for archaeological patrimony (current VIOE, nvdr) did not show the lowest interest for the first world war. That changed by our successful unearthings.

The precarious situation of the Diggers provoked the necessary responses. First ships of Ieper, French Lignel (CD&V/N-VA), regret the charge. The town governing board granted a long time ago a license to Patrick Van Wanzeele. Each year was tacitly extended that. But by the adaptation of the decree on finding property heritage this license expired. That decree now states that also war ammunition belongs to the archaeological heritage. Lowest what you can say that the Diggers have already many man lives have been saved, think Lignel. Thereby Piet connects itself Chielens, coordinator of in Flanders the Fields museum. The point of view from archaeology is one vision. But the decree says nothing concerning the competence and the experience of the Diggers. No one else can carry out this work with the same knowledge and as much respect.

This last beats on the fact that the Diggers in the past decades discovered the material vestiges of wide 200 front soldiers, as a result of which them herbegraven could become. Thanks to their knowledge of the area and the history the Diggers could locate also the British course earl Yorkshire Trench and vrijleggen. According to Marc Dewilde, coordinator unearthings for West-Vlaanderen at the VIOE, the Diggers can request an earl license to continue working on ammunition threatened areas. That is correct, thus Van Wanzeele, but as the Diggers a claim to do unearthings lasts one up to two months submits before it goes slightly possible on greenness. That costs to the construction lords and assignees too much money, because then the work must be stopped. Many purchasers of grounds in the buurt around Ieper do not know generally what hides there in the floor. And then the account has been made rapid: the mine clearance carried out by a professional company costs already rapidly 70,000 euro for a surface of 1,500 square meters, whereas the Diggers their free hours put and own resources.

In the industry area in Boezinge the Diggers with metal auscultators investigate the floor finished. Since 1993 we have been possible no longer use these apparatuses, admits Van Wanzeele, but it is for us the only manner trace the blindgangers efficiently. We have cleaned now already since 1998 new the bought plots in Boezinge. Here for example normal already a lime-spreader to the work had be is: perilously, weet Van Wanzeele. You can compare it riffraff with large verticuteermachine. A role with long steel cogs tosses about to 1000 goes for a ride per minute the floor and diverts in the meantime lime or cement to reinforce sompige the subsoil.

On some days time obtain the Diggers eighteen dangerous blindgangers above, among which a British projectile of 80 kilogrammes, a yperite leaking German mosterdgasgranaat and 90 kilogrammes heavy German Flügelmine. Without a clearing by the Diggers certainly already victims would be been possible. For this reason we find this charge this way undeserved. Obtain the Diggers here gone and ninety years after armistice there again deadly and onschuldige victims falls in the West angle.

Source: The Nieuwsblad, 11 May 2008

Yes very interesting, it seems to lose a little in translation like:

"Seized, he emphasises total from air"

Anyway thanks for trying

Norman

I wonder if theres anything we as a forum could do to help de Diggers, maybe a page on the forum reserved as petition for forum members to sign which could then be printed off and presented at the hearing. We all know about the excellent work done by the boys in Belgium, they have kept us informed of the projects undertaken by regular postings and photo's, its time we helped them if we can...

regards

Tom

Fair point Tom, but should we not be aware of exactly what they are accused of before we take that particular step.

We certainly ain`t going to get that from Babelfish!

"That is correct, thus Van Wanzeele, but as the Diggers a claim to do unearthings lasts one up to two months submits before it goes slightly possible on greenness".

Norman

I think you're right Norman, if the boys in Belgium require our assistance they only have to come on forum and ask..

regards

Tom

...and going in against Belgian law???

Cnock

Who said anything about going in against Belgian law???

All that was suggested was a type of Character reference by members of the forum if required in the form of a petition.

Tom

I think Cnock has put his finger on it. If Frans or his friends need anything I am sure they know they need only ask. Until then, I would be very reluctant to interfere with any legal procedure, here in UK or even more so, in Belgium.

Following Belgian legislation all excavations now have to be supervised by a professional archeologist.

The Diggers coninue without them, and a complaint has been filed.

Cnock

Guest KevinEndon

how long would it take for one of the diggers to earn the title of professional archiologist, that way they will meet Belgiums regulations.

Kevin

Thanks Cnock, in the absence of the complete details of the current situation this seems like a very good idea to me. The excavation of WW1 sites in Belgium has been a contentious subject for years and to hear that the authorities are at last making what to me is a positive move to formalise such excavations can only bring benefits. This should not be viewed as criticism of the “Diggers” for which I have great respect. There will of course be many problems before this is implemented and I like other forum members eagerly anticipate further details when available.

Norman

Get Baldrick to give them a hand, at least they are succesful and produce the goods. It would make better telly then Time Team.

Mick