Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Thank You to John and Scottie,

cheers

Shelley :)

What a wonderful thread this is. The photo's are so clear and beautiful and the work done by the diggers will be of benifit for generations.

John

• 4 weeks later...

A small update on the latest dig.

It is a new building plot south of the Yorkshire trench which is going to be developped.

The english 1917 frontline cuts throught the plot and already over the last few weeks a large

number of lievens morters have been recovered.

2188087316_70d4f706d9_b.jpg

2188090850_1df8a1373f_b.jpg

2187306357_fc3573d3a0_b.jpg

Brilliant work as per normal by de-diggers, you never cease to amaze me, by what de-diggers find.

Regards

to you all

John

Great pictures Frans, thanks for posting them and keeping us up to date.

Andy

Thanks for latest update Frans and keeping us posted of De Diggers latest work

Cheers

Glyn

• 2 weeks later...

No it is not a new monument marking the spot where the international trench was but a giant deepfreeze.

Below this building around a 120 soldiers remains were recovered over the years. It is a sad sight that the spot is now well and truly covered over.

2221221578_d7aab84490_b.jpg

Frans

What a great find, it looks in really good condition. Have you any idea what year it was likely to have been constructed?

Edit: "Uncovering of a 1916 trench" is a bit of a clue to when it was constructed :blush:

Best regs

Andy

Excellent photos of the trench. Those mortar base plates would make excellent bowls for my hen food.

Fantastic photos..very interesting finds and still so much intact it seems in this area. Will be visiting week comm 13th April are De Diggers 'On site' anywhere then? Would be great to watch and admire you guys in action

Wayne

No it is not a new monument marking the spot where the international trench was but a giant deepfreeze.

Below this building around a 120 soldiers remains were recovered over the years. It is a sad sight that the spot is now well and truly covered over.

Let's be happy de diggers got there first, so these 120 men could get a proper burial before the bulldozers arrived...

Roel

Fantastic photos..very interesting finds and still so much intact it seems in this area. Will be visiting week comm 13th April are De Diggers 'On site' anywhere then? Would be great to watch and admire you guys in action

Wayne

Wayne if you pm me nearer the date I can let you know where we are at that moment.

Frans

Some pictures from this afternoon. Conditions very wet and extremely heavy digging conditions.

Pictures are of a 2nd line 1915 trench. The trench is very wide, could be a position where they fired trench mortars from.

The last foto shows a small channel under the duckboards which could mean they had some kind of drainedge system in 1915.

2237124245_cfe248b98f_b.jpg

2237148267_7e8ed7a64d_o.jpg

2237150571_49dc67ae9d_o.jpg

Hello Frans

Another set of great photos. I find it unbelieveable that almost intact systems like this are so close to the surface, and in such good condition. Did you have an idea that the trenches existed before you started digging or was its discovery a complete surprise?

Andy

Frans - As Max picks up on, the duckboards are very close to the (current) surface - would there have been breastworks as well or has the surface changed over the years. I presume the first of these?

Hello Frans

Another set of great photos. I find it unbelieveable that almost intact systems like this are so close to the surface, and in such good condition. Did you have an idea that the trenches existed before you started digging or was its discovery a complete surprise?

Andy

No surprise Max. It is in fact the same trench as the yorkshire trench going south east. I think without looking the 1917 was called Nile or white trench. The 1915 second line trench runs close to the 17 trench. Should be some very good weeks coming up. There is a dug out close by but we have found no entrance yet. We have removed about 30 livens morters which indicate we should be in the right spot. Livens were fired from the dug out.

Frans - As Max picks up on, the duckboards are very close to the (current) surface - would there have been breastworks as well or has the surface changed over the years. I presume the first of these?

There would have been breastworks, but it also looks like about 12 inches has been taken of the top layer some years ago.