Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Even fresh, Sloan's Liniment is lethal to social contact! Put it where you put the gas shells, and let the DOVO deal with it!

Just out of interest, did all the small finds come from a single area, or were they spread over a length of trench? That's a lot of razors to lose in one spot!

Adrian

They don't look like standard issue razors from what I can see of them - the sides look to be black rather than the lighter buff coloured horn on the standard army issue razor of the time - could they perhaps be a "seven-day set" privately purchased - perhaps belonging to an officer?

Re English, British. Remember that recruits were drafted in to Battalions to replace losses. Scots, English Irish and Welsh could find themselves with a totally different Battalion to that which they signed up for. Remember the Cockney who signed up and found himself issued with a kilt outfit, He said " I didn't join the army to be a ..bloomin.. Harry Lauder!" A Scotman working in Yorkshire could join up localy and not be in a Scottish regiment.

What rank did button cleaners hold?

Neil

Last saturday the sixteenth we recovered a commonwealth soldiers remains number 212 from the Boezinge site.

It looks like we are looking at the remains of an officer.

The CWGC has been informed first of the find of the soldiers remains.

A couple of items found with the soldier.

Whistle

575449166_db2c0cce3e_o.jpg

Golden watch.

575626579_0f80df5341_o.jpg

That's great news! Perhaps there are initials inside the watch case, which would make identification a lot more possible.

Frans,

These continue to be such poignant reminders of those who died. We have a watch like that from our relative who survived. Again, thanks from those of us who watch the work you do from afar with so much appreciation

Cheers

Shirley

Well Done Diggers.

I hope we may have time to visit the site on the Sunday following the Forum Dinner for the Last Post Association on Saturday 21st July.

Recoverred from under the road in Langemark when the road surface was being renewed.

With a bit of spit and polish this shrapnell fuze is back in good working order.

604158392_2ede32a09a_o.jpg

603879227_f143410751_o.jpg

604158738_b866774888_o.jpg

Over the last few weeks we have been uncovering a big number of boxes with dynamite.

The boxes which are german and were dug inn below the german trench.

It looks like the germans had early in 1915 a system in place to blow out anybody who enterred or captured the trench.

It has got a few people very excited as this has not been uncovered before as far as we know.

On the photo Patrick and Ronny checking out one of the many boxes we found.

604191573_14b82b0fe0_o.jpg

Never a dull moment when digging.

This is a coach of recruits today on there nice day out at Her Majesty's Expense.

Just before they came to visit us, two of them were disciplinned in front of us.

The person dishing out the punishment was a rather good looking lady.

When she came to look at the dig none of the group dare ask the lady why, just in case she made us dig extra holes. :D

604364913_63e9d1eca5_o.jpg

604595462_c5f5332d08_o.jpg

It is funny how certain events can bring back memmories.

In my days in the dutch army in 77-78 we had a lady soldier called Anja Naaktgeboren, translated it is "Anja Born naked". She came from a little town by the Zuiderzee/ijsselmeer where there was a lot of interbreeding and where men were men and women were men.

She was one of the first woman to join the dutch army and I think purely because she hated men.

They kitted her out and gave her size 15 boots and hereby she became the first NATO soldier to be able to cross the Rhine without a bridge.

She was accepted by the dutch paratroop regiment. She used to jump out of the plane without a parachute, land on her head and just walk away if nothing had happenend. Showing up these tough fighting men they rewarded her with a promotion to another regiment, which was sadly mine.

She was known to us as corporal "Anja the Hunn" and she was put in charge of a six ton ammunition truck.

My Captain a fine gent wanted to protect his soldiers and deviced a way to get rid of her most of the time.

Being stationed in northern Germany he used to send her on little errands with her truck to Holland.

A round trip would take her three days with the old DAF truck but my captain always hoped she would break down so he would send no assistance.

To cut a long story short this could have been a great turning point in my life because I could then have easely turned gay. :D

Franz?I believe that after the army,she became British prime minister......

Franz?I believe that after the army,she became British prime minister......

I think if we would have sent this one abroad we would have caused an internationall incident.

Two of these machines are going to be driving concrete piles on the building site over the next six months.

608733739_db468d63af_o.jpg

I managed to climb part way up the machine to take this picture of the area where farm 14/wasserschloss was. Farm 14 was just left of the bulldozer where the new street light is. The International trench would have come straight down from there "Farm 14" towards us.

608734331_f3b3f12c33_o.jpg

Gosh, Frans, you really make a wonderful story teller on the site. You make the whole dig process come alive, and I wish it were happening in the next town over so I could pop over to look.

Thanks for the fabulous photos and anecdotes that go with them.

Any idea which commonwealth country the officer may have come from or served with?

Allie

As ever Frans some wonderful finds. Many thanks for keeping us informed of De Diggers work.

I wear my De Diggers cap with pride.

stevem

Any idea which commonwealth country the officer may have come from or served with?

Allie

Hi Allie,

It is most likely a British officer. It is the only spot where the New Zealand and Australians wern't active in the Ieper salient. If it is a commonwealth officer it could be a Canadian.

We are on the area where the international trench is, but the soliders we have found are not from 1915 but 1916 or later, New uniform. It looks like a forward dressing station we have found.

The soldiers we have found are close together and have no weapons on them. The first thing you would take of a wounded soldier would be the excess weight before you would carry him.

I am hoping that over the coming weeks it becomes a bit clearer.

Frans

Hi Allie,

It is most likely a British officer. It is the only spot where the New Zealand and Australians wern't active in the Ieper salient. If it is a commonwealth officer it could be a Canadian.

Did any buttons survive? That would be the quickest form of identification.

Did any buttons survive? That would be the quickest form of identification.

Hi Michael,

I will dig up some photo's of the items tomorrow.

The soldier we found looks like he was one of the collecting types.

We found many buttons, two purses with coins and an array of other items.

Another problem I think is that many men were cared for on this spot, there is an array of buttons and kit, to much for one soldier to carry.

A soldier who dies while fighting and is found on the spot he fell, will always have his rifle near him and carries ammunition and his bajonet. This makes for us the whole process eassier.

What I am trynig to say is that with the soldier who died fighting he is surrounded by his own items, on the site we are now this is not the case because it looks like many men passed through here.

Frans