Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

Frans

I was so sorry to hear about Zak, my prayers are with you & your family.

Great to have you posting on this thread once more!

Andy

Frans I can't find the words, my heart goes out to you and your family. Thanks for continuing to post at a very hard time in your life, I have three kids, all three are a pain in the ass but I do not know how I would cope if anything appond to any of them.

Annette

What a terrible loss but glad you managed to say and hopefully do as much as you could in the short time.

I have a son aged 16.5 and love every minute with him. Like you try to cram as much as we can in to our lives.

will think of you.

Tony

We all think we can "deal" with death. I led my first funeral this week. Lauren and my prayers are for you and your family. So sad.

Again thanks to all you give ... not just to all of us sitting here across the globe ... but the soldiers you're bringing home so many years out ... Someday when Lauren and I come to Ypres again, we'll be sure to come over and say thanks in person ...

Now for something completely different.

Over the past week the CWGC has been repairing and engraving the headstones at Essex Farm Cemetery.

They manage to clean and repair about six a day per person.

1343147346_9aeae658ea_o.jpg

1342259291_4fe191cf7f_o.jpg

1342259407_059a31f425_o.jpg

Frans - Are they refurbishing existing stones or replacing them with brand new stones?

Whichever, they are doing a great job. I wish them good weather in the Autumn as they continue the task for us.

Frans - Are they refurbishing existing stones or replacing them with brand new stones?

Whichever, they are doing a great job. I wish them good weather in the Autumn as they continue the task for us.

They are all excisting stones Ian.

Frans

Frans

Are the drainage works still blocking access to the bunkers at Essex Farm?

Terry,

The big holes for the new pipe are now filled in but I would think another two weeks before you can go to the bunkers safely.

If you wish you can reach the bunker via the back past the picnic area.

There are four big young bulls in the field this should make your visit one to remember.

Frans

Dear Franz,

I was at essex farm a couple of weeks ago, and a number of the headstones were muddy. Good to see they are doing a general clean-up.

However, I couldn't get to the dug-out then, but had to look from afar.

On Spet. 20th I'll be guiding the Croydon TA there. Will the pipe-laying be finished? Or should I get them to take up matador training in advance of their visit?

Bruce

Couple of points.

In July the Essex Farm bunkers were under water but it was passable, better than risking the cows! Check out the small bunkers hidden in the grass north of the more visible larger bunkers. See enclosed photo.

When visiting Lijssenhoek Cemetery a CWGC staff member advised that they re-cut the details once they become invisble in sunlight. New headstones, now sourced from Italy, are made when the existing headstone becomes damaged. A particular problem with the headtones occurs in cold weather. Apparently the headstones a set in a concrete trough and in winter the headstone can crack at the base through frost action. When visiting CWG ceneteries you may observe a small notice advising a new stone is being made.

Bernard P

post-23884-1189290428.jpg

Dear Franz,

I was at essex farm a couple of weeks ago, and a number of the headstones were muddy. Good to see they are doing a general clean-up.

However, I couldn't get to the dug-out then, but had to look from afar.

On Spet. 20th I'll be guiding the Croydon TA there. Will the pipe-laying be finished? Or should I get them to take up matador training in advance of their visit?

Bruce

Hopefully you should be able to visit the bunker by the 20th of september.

But just in case come prepared with some ladders and rubber boats.

The big pipe has now been completed which means for us it has stopped smelling like a bog.

The idea is to stop the area flooding after heavy rainfall.

On the photo the bunker after heavy rainfall in july 2005.

1347626711_a4f25e9a5d_o.jpg

The idea of my venture for Essex Farm boating trips I can better regard as a non starter.

I do find it ammusing that after the great expense of putting in a pump, a holding tank and 35 ton of paving stones 18 months ago, it all gets ripped out without ceremony. Thats good planning for you, or as we call it nowadays, job creation.

Bernard

Thanks for the pic.

The bunkers were fenced off in August and not reachable even with a rubber dinghy.

All new headstones for northern Europe come from the CWGC factory at Beaurains near Arras. There is a supplier in Italy who provides stones under contract for the Mediterranean area. The Beaurains factory supplies most of the rest of the world - including as far away as Brazil! When I was there a few months ago there was a batch awaiting shipment to Rio!

Photographs of the funerall of the Kings Liverpool soldier have been posted in the thread of finding of the kings soldier in battlefields in danger.

I only managed to take two photo's of the service and John Reed kindly agreed to post photo's on this thread.

1383000690_a83ff8902c_o.jpg

The last three weeks we haven been on this position.

The position is towards Pilkim and behind the german 1917 lines.

It looks like british artillery was moved forward into this position after troops moved towards Langemark

after the start of the third battle of Ypres.

On the photo the area where the guns were positioned.

1387777053_1f26afd2f3_o.jpg

We had the pleasure of forum member john Reed and his wife jacky on the dig today.

As always we appreciate John's great knowledge regarding everything that has to do with artillery.

As most of you will know it is john was has always helped me.

1388672674_90d6e51a7c_o.jpg

I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with De Diggers on 15 September, was lovely weather and with great company, I will include a few photos taken.

John

post-1365-1189922522.jpg

post-1365-1189922566.jpg