John and Frans,

nice pictures.

Frans, what does the last picture show?

I recognise a fuze on the lower left of the picture,

but what else does the picture show?

regards

wouter

Wouter

It's not a Fuze but a Fuze Cover which is removed from Fuze just before it is set, it is a protective cover.

John

OK,

thank you John for the info and the extra picture!

Regards,

Wouter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we had the german television with us shooting a documentary mainly with Patrick

who is highly regarded in germany.

This means that we dug holes and cleaned the pit, then Patrick jumped in to do his bit in front of the camera.

1572375250_b3270506ce_o.jpg

1572375664_7fa170c6bc_o.jpg

Very pleased to see our German friends with you in Ypres - with some sun. Will your activities cease as winter approaches?

Regards Ian

Hi Ian,

Strangely enough it gets better now.

The harvest is coming in and the fields become available again.

Good times coming and the bad weather as well.

Frans

Frans

Maybe you should do a thread about restoring dug objects? A sort of masterclass on line. You do a brilliant job with the things you find.

Gunner Bailey

Frans

How big were the Gibbs's toothpaste tins you found?

I have not been able to find a picture of a Great War tin but a WW2 version can be seen here.

Frank Bellamy (comics artist) who worked on Eagle and Dan Dare as well as the Look & Learn series started life producing the advertising for Gibbs (obviously not Great War though).

Neil

Frans

How big were the Gibbs's toothpaste tins you found?

I have not been able to find a picture of a Great War tin but a WW2 version can be seen here.

Frank Bellamy (comics artist) who worked on Eagle and Dan Dare as well as the Look & Learn series started life producing the advertising for Gibbs (obviously not Great War though).

Neil

Hi Neil,

The box lids are about 2-2.5 inches.

These were found near Brandhoek.

Your assumption that they are ww2 looks very likely.

I understand that in the very early part of ww2 there were a good number of english troops in this area.

Frans

Gibbs is a British brand but is one of these tins French/Belgian - with the word dentrifice and reference to Paris? Or are these 2 sides of the same tin? I presume they contained toothpowder rather than toothpaste.

Frans - where is the main focus of your work at the moment or do you have several places that are active?

Ian

Ian at the moment we are clearing some fields for farmers. One near Brandhoek and the other on saturday near Pilkim. Both farmers are going deeper into the ground with new equipment therefore it is wise to remove the ordenance.

We have a couple of new projects but have to wait for the mais to be harvested.

Frans

Frans - I am sure the farmers quite agree!

It might be worth your while telling us where you may be working at any particular weekend. Many Forum users visit and I suspect a fair few might like to buy you a beer at the end of the day.

Regards Ian

Frans - I am sure the farmers quite agree!

It might be worth your while telling us where you may be working at any particular weekend. Many Forum users visit and I suspect a fair few might like to buy you a beer at the end of the day.

Regards Ian

^

De group always meet up at 2 o'clock near the Yorkshire trench. The actual spot is the last building on the left going north "pinquin building".

If you are not sure where the above spot is you can come to my house at 1.30 and follow me up there.

The rule is still the same, anybody is welcome.

Frans

Hi Neil,

The box lids are about 2-2.5 inches.

Your assumption that they are ww2 looks very likely.

I understand that in the very early part of ww2 there were a good number of english troops in this area.

Frans

To be honest Frans I had assumed the tins you found were WW1 but I could only find a WW2 era version on the internet.

Gibbs were producing toothpaste during WW1 as the attached 1946 advert makes clear they have been producing the toothpaste for over 30 years. It seems to have been in a tablet form rather than powder.

Advert Museum link

An undamaged tin looks like this one on Ebay but unfortunately it is not dated.

Neil