Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

It is normal during procedure that the Court needs time to study the dossier brought forward by the lawyer of the Diggers.

Cnock

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow Malte! Its incredible seeing the original duckboards after 90 odd years or so. Thanks for posting these.

Cheers, Elle

I'm a bit lost here, what was the outcome of the court case? By the photo's above it went well, at least thats what it looks like ?? Great photos, more please..... Peter

Excellent photos Malte. Thanks for posting them.

I've missed seeing photographs of this type!

thanks for posting them Malte.

Mick

Since you ask :)

It may not be rocket science but it is physical anthropology (sorry, couldn't resist). The documentary sources don't tell us everything and as we all know "Grandpa never talked about it". If we look at Great War sites archaeologically we are not looking to prove if they had trenches and mills bombs we are trying to create a narrative that is prompted by the material culture (stuff). The stuff includes both the official equipment, the semi-official and the downright personal, which all relate both to the war and to the men who fought it, sometimes absolutely directly. What I am trying to do as an archaeologist is not prove that there was a war often based on trenches in Flanders in the early 20th century, I am actually trying to see the men in that war and set them in the landscape of the time. The sources will help me do that but the objects will help me develop that picture further. When you start to see configurations of webbing that isn't in the manuals, you've never seen on pictures and no one thought to mention in Bn records, but which are in front of you, still attached to their owner, then tell me I'm wasting my time. Also tell me that when I have a piece of artwork made by a German soldier from three spent rounds and I can tell you what it means!

Rant over! I hope that clarifies things. Believe me I have thought about this, if I wanted a less hazardous period of the past to look at I could stick with the Romans but I do believe I have something to contribute B)

Hi all I tend to agree with martin`s view it is the interpretation of the finds and the context in which they are found that provides the excitement of the excavation.Yes we know it is all WW1 material but as Martin said you find so many unusual and unlisted things, for instance the Trench Warfare Dept, sent many things out for trials that were officially never listed and still turn up. for many years I dug on sites and had many wonderful finds that made me feel part of that time and place in fact it was what made me so enthused to go on to University to take a degree in Archeology. the second point is although in a perfect world funding would be available it is not, these "Diggers" are doing the best of a bad job and as far as i am concerned some archeology is better than none if the site is going to be redeveloped and totally lost. finally we do not have to excavate vast amounts of dangerous munitions like they do on our British sites you can imagine the excavation costs building whilst health and safety set up for their penny worth and god forbid if a live Grenade is found. more time would be spent on down time than actual excavation. it must also be in mind that the material used in much of the stores and equipment was cheap tin, steel, cloth etc and so is deteriorating very quickly. Is it not better to find something before it has deteriorated so far that we cannot tell what it may once have been used for

I was privileged to go out with the diggers on my last trip out to Ieper 12th to 19th July this year, here are a few images of finds near Cement House Cemetery. Two 18 Pdr HE rounds and a 4.5in HE round.

John

post-1365-1217701533.jpg

post-1365-1217701625.jpg

post-1365-1217701678.jpg

Two photo's taken on 19th July, diggers plus one not very pleasent item.

John

post-1365-1217702135.jpg

post-1365-1217702209.jpg

• 3 months later...

Can any of our Belgium friends (Frans) translate the news piece, I get the jist that the Diggers must apply for a licence for each and every time they dig, nothing may be sold that is found. Seems the bottom line is they can not dig and excavate ammunition without authority. Just hope red tape does not get in their way to much.

You got it 303 apart from the selling stuff bit. The allegation of selling stuff was thrown out by the court* / ruled not proven*.

*both true but open to interpretation and put there so that the two sets of Belgians can make their choice.

Regards,

Marco

I always get the impression that the success of the Diggers and the esteem they are held in internationally causes jealousy among other interest groups in Belgium. Restraints on what the Diggers can do is perhaps part of a fight for "ownership" of the memory of the Great War and the interpretation of the archaeology and the artefacts.