Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

It has come to my attention that comments i made about the safety aspects and concerns i had about some of some of the work carried out by De Diggers had upset members and friends of this group. My concerns still stand but it was never my intention to cause upset to any member or friend of the group. I am aware they do worthwhile and often dangerous work for the good of others and am happy to say sorry to all involved.

Kind regards

Roland. :)

For what it's worth I thought that for once the posts you made on this thread were perfectly legitimate ones and on topic. Anyone disagreeing with the points you raised was free to make their point of view known as you had. Valuable as I'm sure much of the Diggers work is I'm not aware that they or their various activities enjoy some special immunity from criticism or questioning.

Have to say I agree with George and I hope that Roland's apology will be accepted in the spirit of reconciliation in which it is made.

Jim

GAC,

some of rolands "points" were more like statements, and in some cases had little or no basis in fact, De Diggers work is invaluable in the area they work, and to many people their collective experience is irreplaceble, whenever questioned, Frans will give an answer, as for criticism as long as it's constructive and comes from those with experience of what they do that's fair, but when criticised by those with no experience or who have never even visited the battlefields, that i find unacceptable,.

when criticised by those with no experience or who have never even visited the battlefields, that i find unacceptable,.

Do you. That's your privilege. As others have the right to form their own views.

Willy it seems you want to " meet " everyone.

roland hello, i am a real friendly type, allways think it better to meet people face to face to discuss important issues, welcome back.

• 4 months later...

Hello........................... is anybody out there?. What has happened to the "DIGGERS" it would be nice to know.

There was an article on the forum not long ago which was in Dutch or Flemish. I never saw a complete translation but it seemed to say that they were no longer authorised to dig. If there was a translation and I missed it, I'd love to be pointed towards it. Especially if I got the gist of the article wrong, as I was a great fan of De Diggers and looked forward to news and pics of their latest digs.

That is the thread, Egbert and I see I was right. No better translation been offered. I was hoping it might have been a temporary thing but it seems not. Too bad.

Thanks for the responses, I have no wish to stir up any controversy I am just a little disappointed that there has been no definitive response from the group. When you consider the amount of postings regarding their excavations and the level of moral and no doubt practical support that they enjoyed from members of this forum it would surely be in order that a situation report be posted even if the effect on the groups activities have proved to be negative. Bear in mind that there are 80 pages devoted to the group on the forum so hardly a minor topic.

I have also posted this on the other thread.

Norman

You know Tom, this is a really weird thing from both "the forum pals in Ypres" who visited Frans recently and from the diggers (Frans) as well:

also see this thread

as stated on the other thread this was a private visit and nothing to do with you or the forum as suggested why not contact him yourself if you are so concerned

tafski

Why not wait till the Diggers make a statement perhaps they do not reply to this current topic as they are as much in the dark as we are . And least said least mended at the moment . Let sleeping dogs be and wait with PATIENCE for a official responce from the Diggers which will come in due course .

Dan

Just a thought for the Mods.

As we have two threads up and running on this topic, would it be possible either to merge them, or close one (probably the other one)?

I would close this one for the time being, until such time as Frans is able to resume it. After all, this thread was developed (and was mostly used) for keeping people informed about the work of the Diggers. If the Diggers are unable to carry out any work and provide reports, then it is this thread which is superfluous for the time being.

The other thread, is discussing a different matter - calling for current news about the Diggers.

Tom

My take is that De Diggers are most unhappy at the current situation. They feel slightly betrayed that much of their good work has been overlooked and the neg side of their work has been picked up on. They seem worried that comment on the situation may be taken out of context.

Tom,

Agreed. I will close this thread until the FACTS are known with regard to the Diggers. I hope that Frans will make a statement as to the status of the Diggers to put everyone's mind at rest and stop people's opinions or takes on the situation. So Dan's post is very apt, can we have the patience to await any news based on facts.

Any further information or posts can go in the other thread for the meantime until this is re-opened.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Over the next three weeks we will be repairing and laying new trenchboards in the Yorkshire Trench.

On the foto is forum member John Reed who is making the trenchboards ready for when al the old boards have been removed.

Trenchboards ready for placing in the trench next week.

post-3158-1253129206.jpg

post-3158-1253129471.jpg

I have just discovered this thread and read it right through from start to finish. Great work by De Diggers.

There are some emotive issues raised and some fervent and impassioned debates, but it should remind us all that "jaw, jaw is better than war, war" - any time.

As someone used to say "it's good to talk".

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the continuing story.

Frans ... it's great to see you ! ...... we've missed you and your Diggers

As Kevin says " The best thread on the forum breaths again "

Welcome home !

Annie :)

Salut!!!!

Nice to see Mr Reed working for a living!!!!!!!!

Good work all, keep it up.

TT

Thats a real man - tool belt and everything!!

The start of the cleanup session today, interupted several time by visitors, half of the trench boards removed and skipped. I was lucky I found one euro under the boards and one pen. Patrick and Ronny worked with me.

John

post-1365-1253306766.jpg

A sincere thank-you Frans, for the work you and the others do to maintain this section of trench, that due due the Diggers earlier work we are able to enjoy and learn from today.

regards

Tom