Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andreas Scheuchzer 98/05 Bayonet collection

Andreas Scheuchzer

1 minute ago, AndyBsk said:

К Вашему штыку Haenel с маркировкой для Баварии, Haenel подтверждены книгами Вильямса, Картера и Воронова, которые выпускали штыки S98, KS98, S98/02 и S98/05 для Баварии, Саксонии и Пруссии. Даже если они точно не описаны в книгах, Симсон и Хенель были крупными поставщиками штыков различного типа для немецкой армии.

Can only agree

23 hours ago, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

DOK, why converting text to azbuka? 

Missing edit function on old posts1208589941_.png.b4fcac1502a1bd416cd8de50e9201e35.png

Edited by Dok

H. MUNDLOS & COMPANIE, MAGDEBURG +  G. HARTKOPF SOLINGEN

H. MUNDLOS & COMPANIE, MAGDEBURG + RICH. A. HERDER SOLINGEN

H. MUNDLOS & COMPANIE, MAGDEBURG + DEUTSCHE MASCHINENFABRIK A-G DUISBURG

Almost the entire line of H. Mundlos with the exception of Emil Hermes

Edited by Dok

44 minutes ago, Dok said:

H. MUNDLOS & COMPANIE, MAGDEBURG +  G. HARTKOPF SOLINGEN

H. MUNDLOS & COMPANIE, MAGDEBURG + RICH. A. HERDER SOLINGEN

H. MUNDLOS & COMPANIE, MAGDEBURG + DEUTSCHE MASCHINENFABRIK A-G DUISBURG

Almost the entire line of H. Mundlos with the exception of Emil Hermes

IMG_5500[1].JPG

I miss Richard Abraham Herder 

CITO или CITO-CÖLN

These bayonet typically do not have markings on the back of the blade, just on the ricasso. But I have an exception, and the rarest copy for 1918.

3.jpg

Edited by Dok

Today I took a new piece to my collection. Although I don't know what to think about it. Your opinion?image.jpeg.006edd6782e82ab6ba1bc19c94a3310f.jpeg

This is a bayonet 98/05 nA from an unknown manufacturer. Similar stamps should be normally technological or production stamp, we dont known te reason or who did it, but the occure on various parts, mainly on crosgvard, on tangs and ricasso

82742170.jpg

S98-05-mit-Saegeruecken_b9.jpg

CITO S98-05 004.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

Edited by Dok

The last one picture of crossguard (Dok) speaks for Solingen inspection stamp C.

Yes there could be previous stamp, weakly or not good stamped.

39 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Yes there could be previous stamp, weakly or not good stamped.

Another riddle from butcher 98/05

Edited by Dok

Should be gently cleaned with oil and brass wool, there is already finger print on blade.

On 04/03/2023 at 10:59, AndyBsk said:

AnkerWerke on tang means the finisher of the bayonet was AnkerWerke probably, which should mean the blank provider was consortium Schulte - F.Schleutermann. The crossguard is of older type also the production date should be prior end of 1915. Similar as lastly pictured only Stahlblume marking which is probably the earliest production.

Stahlblume / Angel - most real 1915 S98/05aA

Stahlblume / Angel / AW/ Schulte &Co /Gevelsberg undated 1915 S98/05aA

Stahlblume / Angel / RK/ Schulte &Co /Gevelsberg undated 1915 S98/05aA transition with fg

followed by 1916 Stahlblume / Angel / AW/ Ferd.Schleutermann /Remscheid Hasten S98/05nA

1917/18 Schleutermann / Remscheid

Lots of interesting work going on here - thanks chaps! Julian

On 12/03/2023 at 17:30, AndyBsk said:

Certainly not rare, maybe scarce production, i am little surpriced of low quality of rivet adding on crosspiece of W&Co piece and sloppy stamping on spine of blade. Carter and Williams only reported the major production pieces, still  many combination exists in collectors community, that was not described, other point is that majority of the WW1 bayonets were melted down postwar.

Nice bayonets reported here, so the virus of S98/05 is still working.

Well noted AndyB. This thread is really producing some very interesting and rare maker-marked examples! All I ever see here are basically Waffenfabrik 98/05's - supplied to the Ottoman army in last years of the War - see my article below.

Julian

A Call for Arms Supplying the Sultan s Army 1916 1918.pdf

Edited by trajan

On 12/03/2023 at 18:03, AndyBsk said:

... Weyersberg&Co is described in Voronov and i assume never occured a S98/05aA type, so only late war period could be real.

Yes there is - or it's a transitional - van't remember off-hand. Only one I have spotted from very start of Waffenfabrik production in mid-late 1915. Check my article of the supply of these to Turkey - I am certain I mention it there. Correction - mis-read Weysersburg for Waffenfabrik while in a rush... There are some early WAFFENFABRIK's though.

AnyB and others 98/05 lovers, in case you don't know I have unavoidably been off GWF for 8 weeks in connection with Turkey's earthquake on 6th Feb and major changes in our education system. Slowly catching up... Julian

Edited by trajan
Correction to post

On 14/03/2023 at 22:33, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

Hello Dok,

I made simple previev of the collection. so there will surely be something more to show off ;-) 

98-05 01.jpg

98-05 1.jpg

98-05 2.jpg

98-05 3.jpg

98-05 4.jpg

Fantastic!

On 15/03/2023 at 21:49, Andreas Scheuchzer said:
I had a dream to one day publish a book about my collection detailing bayonets and information about their manufacturers. Their families, their fates and what they did besides making bayonets. I didn't want to present the bayonets in good resolution as a whole because they would be overlooked and no one would buy the book ;-)

Not at all! It is so good to have all these photographs, greatly expanding on the number of makers and maker combinations!

Julian

On 15/03/2023 at 21:54, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

image.jpeg.aabe34e2c796301cc45fb2e747485c99.jpeg

Only the second blank I have seen - where did it come from? Julian

On 15/03/2023 at 22:11, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

Valeska 98-05 machette.jpg

Weyersberg & Kirschbaum a.A. Extra nickel mit Sägerücken.jpg

How do you read the top maker?

Not seen an example of the bottom one before - private trade mark example on what looks to be an issue bayonet! 

Julian

On 3/28/2023 at 3:38 PM, trajan said:

How do you read the top maker?

Not seen an example of the bottom one before - private trade mark example on what looks to be an issue bayonet! 

Julian

Hello Julian, nice to meet you. I dont know who made machette bayonet.  I think is 8 leters in logo.  1st have 7 leters: Valeska (1904, 71384): Johann Froescheis, Lyra-Bleistiftfabrik, Nürnberg. Registry class: 9b. Style: block..... 
2nd have 6 leters... ALASKA-GOLD (<1932): Germania-Werk Gebr. Eyding, Solingen. On razors and razor blades.... 

Edited by Andreas Scheuchzer

On 3/28/2023 at 3:26 PM, trajan said:

Only the second blank I have seen - where did it come from? Julian

I bought it. the only info is that it was found while repairing a house in the Karlovy Vary region in the Czech Republic
https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovarský_kraj

CarlsBad area was well known for majority of native germans in pre 1938 period, so is possible some worker of near Suhl or Sachsen area were worked in production facility of S98/05 in WW1, and brought back unfullended pc, anyway majority of the blanks (when not realised to completed S98/05) were probably melted down post 1918.

Edited by AndyBsk

On 01/08/2021 at 22:20, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

Hello.
I managed to get a new 98/05 from C.Eickhorn.
It shows a conversion to another type of rifle. Can you think of what rifle it could be? Or you have no photos or specimens of similar conversions at 98/05.
The bayonet served after WWI at the RLM. So far they are on the way by post, so I can't put more photos.

Thank you very much

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Something very similar in the topic next

IMG_0873.JPG.bcd5a1282d76b560ce598d2ed03b1f98.jpg

That is total different as wout barell ring could be functional only Mauser rifle slot, similar bayonet as Chassepot could be not attached wout barell ring. The pommel area of the recess on S98/05 has no purpose, because behind the locking lug. The full rifle slot 3cm is not changed in any way for other rifle, same as the locking lenght of bayonet was not changed.

Edited by AndyBsk