Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andreas Scheuchzer 98/05 Bayonet collection

Andreas Scheuchzer

I wish I could find 'spare' ones like those! :wacko: Basically amost all that turns up here is WAFFENFABRIK 1917!

Julian

• 4 weeks later...

SimsonPatrioticnecklageW14.jpg.4bcb1039e595bab795f188a679327fc5.jpg

Edited by Andreas Scheuchzer

Both of your collections are world class in size and scope,amount of makers and should be proud. I only have 8 or 9 I think . I enjoy this ongoing post here. Thank you

Andreas, that is a wonderful item to have! Never seen anything like it before.

Julian

• 6 months later...
I can cross another bayonet off the list. Merger of Gebrüder Hartkopf together with Waltet-Möwe werke. The bayonet was broken and being repaired.

Gebr. Hartkopf - Solingen  + Walter & Co. - Mühlhausen in Thüringen.jpg

Hey Andreas. With such a huge collection of those 98/05’s, you make me feel like a novice or “ Newbe” collector all over again.

Icread somewhere that there were 62 regular makers, plus all the various double maker. Usually a regular contractor making the blade/ tang from steel blanks , send to one of main State arsenals, Erfurt seems the most popular.  Then the two makers with both being contractors.

Docyou have a full list of all maker Variations 

Steve

Steve,

here's a french website I found where all the makers with the respective production dates and transitional models are listed. According to the website, there are 41 individual makers (not counting possible double stamps, but those are listed as well!)

https://mesbaionnettes.com/index.php/baionnettes-allemandes-1898-05/

Thank you Sir Mortimer!

Interesting sight. With over a million or much more 98/05’s produced pre war and war time, all those charts look to be what the web sights created has encountered? I do not know French. The list of maker names with image is very nice, but still, I have read in at least two book, there were 60-62 makers, not including double maker stamped bayonets.    
I am just a poor little upstart with 7-9?   98/05’s, maybe  6 makers total

Anyway, thanks again for that site Sir Mortimer, will have to check it out better when I have time, driving, 2 hours left to drive to deliver 48,000 ( US) pounds canola oil in the morning. Take care

Steve

The maker number of S98/05 is offcoarse unreal, as some only delivered the blade blanks and never realised the full production, and some are finishers. the link presented have listed all makers of german bayonets since 1865 as W.R.Kirschbaum, Wilhelm Suhl, Coulaux Klingenthal didnt existed in 1900 already, same as there are variation of marking of same maker more as once. The book of Carter or new copy of Voronov lists major of the blank provider/maker finisher even with some errors still.

Edited by AndyBsk

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/12/2023 at 00:36, Andreas Scheuchzer said:
I found and edited this one

A nice piece of work! Thanks!

AND while I am at it - this is the third time today I have lost a post because of some new security system involving a car and a street pattern to see if I am human or not! Is it just me????

Edited by trajan

• 3 months later...

F. Koeller Solingen - Ohligs in cooperate with Dürkopp Bielefeld. Sawback

F. Koeller - Solingen Ohligs + Dürkopp - Bielefeld n.A.S..jpg

A nice one - with an odd-looking 'W' spine mark though!

it is a "Z" fraktur on blade spine and "M" fraktur on a head

Edited by Andreas Scheuchzer

OK, new to me.