Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andreas Scheuchzer 98/05 Bayonet collection

Andreas Scheuchzer

Андреас Шойхцер Мой старший относительно молод. Erfurt W12 aA с маркировкой WK (Werft Kiel) (Верфь Киль) Моя эрфуртская коллекция не полная. Я все еще скучаю по версии в сотрудничестве с Fernando Esser и Hilger und Söhne (Если эта компания действительно сотрудничала в производстве 98/05) На фотографиях также показана версия в сотрудничестве с Gottlieb Hammesfahr, где логотип компании встречается реже, чем стандартный. Так что надеюсь фото понравятся 

Я не слышал о сотрудничестве эрфуртской компании с Hilger und Söhne. Но у меня мясник сделан совместно с Ричем. А. Гердер.

_DSC0102.jpg

Edited by Dok

Different internal factory markings on the bayonets 98/05 Weyersberg & Co. Solingen (n.A. W 17, fraktur "C" Solingen)783667460_WeyersbergCo.SolingenW17.jpg.958f103a3a95eddc9ec24b87d3fa0329.jpg848174208_WeyersbergCo.Solingenn.A_W17.jpg.b511f0d677baca4c46f01173c32f42b3.jpg

Edited by Andreas Scheuchzer

Certainly not rare, maybe scarce production, i am little surpriced of low quality of rivet adding on crosspiece of W&Co piece and sloppy stamping on spine of blade. Carter and Williams only reported the major production pieces, still  many combination exists in collectors community, that was not described, other point is that majority of the WW1 bayonets were melted down postwar.

Nice bayonets reported here, so the virus of S98/05 is still working.

Edited by AndyBsk

12 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

..........., that was not described, other point is that majority of the WW1 bayonets were melted down postwar.

Hi Andy! Is this reliable information?

Certainly, as in war period was made millions of bayonets, even the Germans could have post only 100000 man army, is evident that they had even large number of rifles and bayonets stored in hidden depots, they choosed the short bayonet type S84/98 as a primarily weapon for Reichswehr. The WW2 period used only by second line units type of S98/05 bayonets. Some of german bayonets were exported to Turkey, Yugoslavia and Poland, but other countries didnt used butcher bayonets.

Weyersberg&Co is described in Voronov and i assume never occured a S98/05aA type, so only late war period could be real.

Edited by AndyBsk

24 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Weyersberg&Co is described in Voronov and i assume never occured a S98/05aA type, so only late war period could be real.

I agree, no one has seen type S98 / 05aA. In Voronov's book there is Weyesberg together with Rich.A. Herder

PHOTO-2023-03-12-18-09-59.jpg

Edited by Dok

About history of this firm should be more researched. The R.Herder/Weyersberg combination speaks for the finishing in 1915 by this firm. And probably later made complete bayonets.

Edited by AndyBsk

Hello Dok,

I made simple previev of the collection. so there will surely be something more to show off ;-) 

98-05 01.jpg

98-05 1.jpg

98-05 2.jpg

98-05 3.jpg

98-05 4.jpg

Andreas I want to say that you have a cool collection. I think one of the most complete in the world. Of course, I don’t have such an abundance, but there are very interesting specimens that I will show you. One minus, I broke my eyes looking at the photo. I propose to send photos for each manufacturer separately, in higher resolution. In general, everything is fine. I am glad that another patient has appeared in our ranks.

I had a dream to one day publish a book about my collection detailing bayonets and information about their manufacturers. Their families, their fates and what they did besides making bayonets. I didn't want to present the bayonets in good resolution as a whole because they would be overlooked and no one would buy the book ;-)

The bayonet listing is very informative, anyway already exist books about same area from Carter and Voronov, so is questionable how it would be described. And what for market would be focused on.

-pre WW1 production

WW1 production, combination of firms

post WW1 refurbishments

various countries using etc..

dress bayonets, rohlings, extra using, splitter etcc.

Unfortunally not all are in good condition, some are cleaned and some inspector or date proofs are not visible.

Andy knows how to please a man :-) 
Já vím ,že nejsou všechny dobré, 

Certainly any dream should be followed, and more bayonets should be find, the major adding would be publish the uncovered combination and increase quality of information from Carter/Voronov books. So dont worry and continue in Your work.

The Carter / Voronov books have a lot of errors in their books, anyway there is other catalog book from Williams.

Edited by AndyBsk