Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andreas Scheuchzer 98/05 Bayonet collection

Andreas Scheuchzer

On 30/03/2023 at 16:03, AndyBsk said:

That is total different as wout barell ring could be functional only Mauser rifle slot, similar bayonet as Chassepot could be not attached wout barell ring. The pommel area of the recess on S98/05 has no purpose, because behind the locking lug. The full rifle slot 3cm is not changed in any way for other rifle, same as the locking lenght of bayonet was not changed.

I tried to fit this 98/05 bayonet on a Mannlicher M95 rifle and it is possible. Since it is not a ring, it only has an "exhibition" character. Perhaps for airport guard duty with Manllicher rifles. I saw another RLM similarly modified

On 30/03/2023 at 16:03, AndyBsk said:

Has nothing to do with Mannlichers, the adapter of Mannlicher is different so it would be loosy and could be not used even as parade because lenght of S98/05 is total different to M95 bayonet, i assume its only step to better or easier add on Mauser rifle adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

New addition. Unfortunately, in not quite a good ending. Someone stroked him quite roughly with a hammer.. But I don't have squirrels yet.
Carl Eickhorn a.A. Extra Seitengewehr 98/05 im Nickel

image.jpeg

Edited by Andreas Scheuchzer

Этот штык-нож Carl Eickhorn Dress 98/05 не для слабонервных. Но я понимаю, что вам все равно, в каком состоянии находится предмет.

Edited by Dok

9 hours ago, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

New addition. Unfortunately, in not quite a good ending. Someone stroked him quite roughly with a hammer.. But I don't have squirrels yet.
Carl Eickhorn a.A. Extra Seitengewehr 98/05 im Nickel

image.jpeg

Nice to see another 'dress' / private purchase example of one of these, no matter the condition!

S98/05aA in Extra configuration, looks ok, even not in extra well condition. Some scratched the blade by cleaning.

9 hours ago, Dok said:

... But I understand that you don't care what state the item is in.

Its a tricky one DOK. When collecting rare or unusual variations I follow Andreas - take an example as it comes up! 

That said, for me, living in Turkey with a low salary and officially 55% inflation (down from an official 84%), I unfortunately have to take what there is as I simply cannot afford pristine examples of WW1 artefacts. My intention is always to sell some poor examples when a better one come along.

Julian

Julian hello! When I started collecting a long time ago, I bought things that were not in very good condition. Later I became more demanding. Everything I didn't like was sold. Like Andreas, I have a dream to collect all 98/05 meat producers and their combinations. I would say that 80% of this dream came true for me. Now I only buy things that I like, and long ago I gave up buying dead bayonets, even with the brand of the manufacturer, which I do not have. But my entire collection is super items that give me aesthetic and moral pleasure. Here is the latest butcher 98/05 nAS, which was bought a week ago for 450 e. Expensive, but I think that in this condition you will not find such an item anywhere else. As for the Butcher's dress 98/05, it is found on various trading floors with periodic regularity. They are not rare.

Edited by Dok

Yes, a very nice one! I wish I could properly subscribe to the best-only side of collecting, but what turns up here is usually not that good and Turkish law forbids the import of bayonets - Customs X-Ray all parcels that come into the country. I have managed to bring back in my bags some good ones, but now they even X-Ray bags on arrival at airports... :(

8 minutes ago, trajan said:

Yes, a very nice one! I wish I could properly subscribe to the best-only side of collecting, but what turns up here is usually not that good and Turkish :(

Two months ago I returned from Istanbul. Great country, great people. A sea of impressions.

its allways a condition/price comparation, i am personally same opinion like Julian, by scarce or rare maker or variation i would buy the piece even worser condition and later prove to replace by better one. 450€ is expensive price, even it would be in excellent condition.Not all bayonet collectors have similar ammounts for buying items.

1 hour ago, Dok said:

Two months ago I returned from Istanbul. Great country, great people. A sea of impressions.

Glad you enjoyed it! I live in Ankara, in the central Anatolian Plain, but have relatives in 'The City of Man's Desire', as Constantinople was often termed in the pre-20th century - and it still has some nice places left!

16 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

its allways a condition/price comparation, i am personally same opinion like Julian, by scarce or rare maker or variation i would buy the piece even worser condition and later prove to replace by better one. 450€ is expensive price, even it would be in excellent condition.Not all bayonet collectors have similar ammounts for buying items.

Yes, that's my approach too. I have, e.g., two not particularly good Turkish M.1915's, but they will hold and suit my collection and research purposes until a better one comes along at a price I can afford!

Julian

I daren't post of mine in the eyes of these ones shown by Steve, Andreas, and Dok - except for the ones you don't collect!

Julian

8 hours ago, trajan said:

V očích těch, které ukázal Steve, Andreas a Dok, se neodvažuji zveřejnit – kromě těch, které nesbíráte!

Julian

Trajan - Julian. Greetings.
You are too modest. I came across your posts in various forums several years ago.
They have always been a valuable source of information for me.
I thank You for them. I'm glad you're here with us!

22 hours ago, Dok said:

This Carl Eickhorn Dress Bayonet 98/05 is not for the faint of heart. But I understand that you don't care what state the item is in.

1.JPG

DOK, It sounded strange. It's like you're saying I'll settle for spoiled food. I took the bayonet without being fully acquainted with its condition. It wasn't cheap, but money is just money. As others have written. I won't regret it when the better one comes along to replace him.

I had to buy a convolute of 4 bayonets 98/05 for one piece. 
I will add their photos. I don't know if they will stay in my collection.
I haven't made up my mind yet about collecting bayonets by year.

Mauser A.G. - Oberndorf a.N. n.A. W16.jpg

7 hours ago, Andreas Scheuchzer said:
I had to buy a convolute of 5 bayonets 98/05 for one piece. 
I will add their photos. I don't know if they will stay in my collection.
I haven't made up my mind yet about collecting bayonets by year.

Ah, my dear friend, the WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER - I attach a copy of an article I wrote which provides details of these.

Julian

A Call for Arms Supplying the Sultan s Army 1916 1918.pdf

Edited by trajan