Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andreas Scheuchzer 98/05 Bayonet collection

Andreas Scheuchzer

I never have heard of this before. Always learning 

A logical conversion. The 98/05 got great praise from German colonial forces for its machette-like qualities. But I have not seen one of these before - thanks for showing!

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

E. F. Hörster from 1915 in a.A. (trans) and n.A. version.  Stamps on a.A. is little bit smaller than n.A.20210331_181020.jpg.0b70e10c196d5823c982a13ff39d249a.jpg 

20210331_180931.jpg

20210331_180941.jpg

crown and date.jpg

The nA has a serial marked quillon. I tend to agree with others that this indicates issue to Bavaria at some point - any comments?

Julian

This 'Splitter', had some corrosion issues when it came to me from auction.

Also partial loss to one of the grips, and a missing bracket.

It has had some serious elbow grease applied.  I let in a piece of hardwood

to the grip.  The bracket was fabricated from some mild steel bar.

The bayonet is dated 1915 and is of the sawback removed type.  Makers

marks have been scrubbed, which is normal for splitters.  Only faint 

impression of the pommel marks remain.  The partial traces of the 

'Industriewerk Auhammer' makers transfer proved impossible to preserve

sadly.

Mike.

SAM_2468.JPG

SAM_2479.JPG

SAM_2478.JPG

SAM_2474.JPG

SAM_2475.JPG

Edited by MikeyH

Very nice piece and restoration, the bayonet was made and proofed in Solingen area, 1915, as S98/05nAS, with proper removed sawback note the proof. Any detailed pictures of ricasso?

Edited by AndyBsk

1 hour ago, AndyBsk said:

Very nice piece and restoration, the bayonet was made and proofed in Solingen area, 1915, as S98/05nAS, with proper removed sawback not the proof. Any detailed pictures of ricasso?

Andy,

Many thanks for your positive response.

There is nothing there to see, apart from light pitting.  Maker's details have been scrubbed/machined away.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Nicely done! I recognise the fraktur but cannot put my finger on what it is just yet but that will give you the maker's name! Nice also to see a fraktur marked sawback-removal.

Julian

Julian and Andy,

Here is the only other surviving marking, from the underside of the crossguard.

Mike.

SAM_2482.JPG.47a93a59a3d545f6afd6e3c2637f1f7e.JPG

Any pictures of ricasso, as the metall doesnt looks like removed, but You have it in hand, the crossguard inspector proof is typical Solingen 1915-18.

I suspect it is a 'C', and it could be a Gottlieb Hammerfahr as I have something similar to this on one of those.

Now, how DID you clean the scabbard and everything???

Julian

25 minutes ago, trajan said:

I suspect it is a 'C', and it could be a Gottlieb Hammerfahr as I have something similar to this on one of those.

Now, how DID you clean the scabbard and everything???

Julian

Julian,

Lots of scrubbing and rubbing with various grades of wire wool, down to Grade 0000, don't think i've got much left in the way of fingerprints!

I did use a copper coin to remove some surface rust prior to this.   Also used 'Autosol' metal polish for final finishing.  There is still some pitting

present, but happy with overall result.  Used matt black industrial spray paint on scabbard, as did not want an over shiny look.  Did not use

rivets on bracket fixing as original, as would have further damaged the scabbard which was already pretty much flattened at this end.  The grips look

100% better after light sanding and waxing. The wood used to replace the missing area was a fragment of teak, from a piece which must

be around fifty years old.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Did you use a lubricant during the scrubbing process? The dust must have been dreadful but I guess a Covid mask helped there! I have never found  a source for grades of wire wool here, but I have Auto-sol to hand.

Julian

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Did you use a lubricant during the scrubbing process? The dust must have been dreadful but I guess a Covid mask helped there! I have never found  a source for grades of wire wool here, but I have Auto-sol to hand.

Julian

Julian,

Used light machine oil on the final 0000 grade rub down, (3-in-one, other brands are available!) Probably spent around 10/12

hours in total, spread over 3 days on the project.  I do have a workbench in the garage which makes life a little easier.

Made a spray booth from a convenient cardboard box, and a coat hanger, applied 2 coats of rust resistant primer, to the scabbard, before top coat.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Fichtel und Sachs from 1916 with Friedrich Herder cooperation and Fichtel und Sachs from 1918 by own production.

I have one question. Does anyone have a list of inspection marks? "fraktur stamps"?

20191112_160548.jpg.5dfe2fab32a9d6976bcdea58b423a493.jpg

20210411_200307.jpg.25db086e18a311f7731780bf136a97ef.jpg

20210411_201106.jpg.887062bef04ae486e5190529f7d230d9.jpg

20210411_201213.jpg.c250732f41024072ea6393d91f9e05f7.jpg

Look at literature,Carter,Williams and others.both pieces are Bavarian proofed there is confirmed cooperation by sending blanks from Herder to Bavaria, i believe its in Carter/Voronovs copy. Possible the frog on scabbard is WW2 as normally Alu rivets were not used in WW1.

Edited by AndyBsk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2021 at 22:05, Andreas Scheuchzer said:

Fichtel und Sachs from 1916 with Friedrich Herder cooperation and Fichtel und Sachs from 1918 by own production.

I have one question. Does anyone have a list of inspection marks? "fraktur stamps"?

Not certain on the Fitchel and Sachs - I'll have to double-check with mine.

Nobody seems to have made a full list of frakturs - badly needed!

Julian

• 1 month later...

Viděl někdo něco takového?
Bajonet Demag 98/05 nAS

189396036_10222153532728225_4930497096498593436_n.jpg.b2898d212ca3ec1bfcb816a43ddb9d51.jpg

Mal by si to pisat do anglictiny,lebo okrem mna tu nikto cesky nerozumi.

Anyone  ever seen a similar marking on lower part of ricasso?

Possible a technological production stamp.

Edited by AndyBsk

• 2 months later...

Hello.
I managed to get a new 98/05 from C.Eickhorn.
It shows a conversion to another type of rifle. Can you think of what rifle it could be? Or you have no photos or specimens of similar conversions at 98/05.
The bayonet served after WWI at the RLM. So far they are on the way by post, so I can't put more photos.

Thank you very much

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Question is the pommel step blued or not,by RLM is more real the bayonet was used as a sideram wout rifle,the scabbard has Weimar era unit mark.Personally dont believe it was converted to different rifle,the 4cm Mauser is unique.locking lug looks like replacement not corectly flashed with pommel.press button was removed a screwed for new.

Edited by AndyBsk

Crossed-out markings on scabbard is: 2. Jäger-Bataillon,(Rekrutendepot) 17.kompagnie, Waffe Nr. 25, right?

No this is Infanterie Regiment nr.17, 2.Company, weapon nr.25.

11 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Question is the pommel step blued or not,by RLM is more real the bayonet was used as a sideram wout rifle,the scabbard has Weimar era unit mark.Personally dont believe it was converted to different rifle,the 4cm Mauser is unique.locking lug looks like replacement not corectly flashed with pommel.press button was removed a screwed for new.

But even if relegated to a sidearm, why the cut away of the pommel? Perhaps it was the first stage in a plan thant was not completed to de-militarise the bayonet by making it unfixable to a rifle? Other possibilities that I can think of are it was made to insert a home-made pommel cover to stop dirt getting into the mechanism, or to fit a Kar 98a - see K.Lubbe, Deutsche Seitengewehr und Bajonette p.111, and p.361. 

Julian